Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Help Please - Starting Issues

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  NewbWing 
#1 ·
So I have a few questions....

1. Do 79 gl1000s have fuel pumps? I was told most bikes dont.

2. How would I know if my starter switch is bad or if there is a problem further down the line? My horn works...

3. I had to take the valve cover off to take out a spark plug with the set of tools I have at my disposal. Took a quick pic of what was underneath. Is this normal or bad?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Your fuel pump is in that picture,on the Back of the head.
All Goldwings have fuel pumps.

#6 ·
What happens when you push the starter button?? Have you checked the battery?? should be at least 12.5 v's sitting and shouldn't drop below 10 when you hit the starter button(you need a meter to check this), or take it to a battery place and have it checked. You can check the starter by jumping it..from a car battery..positive to the stud on the starter; negative to ground on the engine if it spins it's OK, if not it's dead..either needs rebuild; or it's shorted out = replace. To check the solenoid circuit next to the back of the battery..key on and take a big screw driver and short across the two big studs on it's top..if the starter spins you've circuit to the solenoid. If battery good and the circuit to the solenoid is good and you push the starter button and all you here is a click at the solenoid it's probably bad = replace.

How long had the bike been sitting? Any history???

#8 ·
Leave the electric fuel pump on. Better than the mechanical pump which probably has failed. By your question I am guessing you don't have a service manual. It would make things a lot easier it you had one. Download here.
http://www.gl1000.info/Manual.shtml

#10 ·
I have downloaded it. I put it aside waiting for some parts to come in and forgot I had it. Thanks for reminding me.

As for the electric fuel pump, how should I wire it to the bike? I have no clue how it was originally connected but it is garbage. The grounding is terrible and the thing sticks out almost as far as the engine.

#13 ·
He did not have a Spark Plug wrench Dave, just a set of end wrenches.

For me though? I would have gone down to the auto store and bought one, which is exactly what I did when I needed to change a plug on my Lawn Tractor.... The tip of the plug was 1/2 inch deeper than the tinhorn housing around the engine.

#15 ·
The reason I had to take off the valve cover is because the only tools that I have at my disposal was the 56 piece Craftsman Maxx Axis Universal socket set. It only has one extension. It was maybe an inch short. As for the aftermarket fuel pump, I was just trying to see if someone else had mounted one in a different area instead of just replacing the one that is on the bike already.

#16 ·
So I finally found time to put in my new ignition switch. Still no luck. So I took apart the starter switch. It was absolutely disgusting in there. It fell apart almost immediately. So I completed the circuit and it kept popping my circuit breaker. It is a brand new 30 amp circuit breaker too. I don't know what could be the issue. Ideas?

#17 ·
So you are saying when you short the black to the yellow/red it pops the breaker? Disconnect the Y/R to the starter relay and test again, if it still pops the breaker unplug the diode on the left side of the false tank with the Y/R wire going to it. Still does it there is a short in the wiring.

#27 ·
I bench tested my starter and it runs quite well. I was told that the internals could be sluggish from sitting for a while. The advice I was given was to spray a bunch of WD-40 into the cylinder heads and find something to suction it out. Preferably a turkey baster. Is this a logical idea? And does anyone else have any ideas on how to lubricate the internals short of rebuilding the entire block?

#28 ·
I would prefer you spray MMO, not WD-40 as it is way to thin to do a proper job of lubing the cylinder walls.

Any thin oil will work, sewing machine oil, cod liver oil :)
ATF works great also and is cheap and usually on your shelf already.

Going to be pretty hard though to coat the upper sides of the cylinder walls unless you have a way to "fog the oil in" thru the spark plug holes.

You don't want too much, just a fog or thin coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.