Shinko 890 Journey on a GL 1800 anyone? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Just a Rider

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Comfort, Navi, ABS
Garage
Thanks John, I will look for that particular tire, I know I can get a few car tires brands on that size,
But never search for RF, a couple of years ago I investigated a little and easily found that tire size in a small place so in a big city would be a snap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
If you have two years of riding that 1800 behind you, I would install a car tire and feel relief at knowing that it should give you 20,000 miles of safe travel.

If you can find one there, a Run Flat is preferable as that will keep it ride-able for 50 miles even when it is out of air.

The NRF, or Non-Run Flat tires have a habit of wrapping around the suspension and locking the wheel up.

it took me about 10 miles to get used to my car tire. After that, it was just like the E3. but, that is for the Michelin Alpin that I installed. Other brands/models of CT can have different results.
Where'd you hear about a NRF coming apart and locking up the rear wheel John?I'd like to read that thread.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I probably should not have said "coming apart", just when it goes flat it wads up too much. I don't have a bookmark, and will prevail to those who have ridden the NRF tires.

Coming apart usually only happens on a very low tire when ridden too many miles on a car or truck. On a bike, we will notice it quick and stop.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Just a Rider

Garage
I am still wondering why so many mature and expert riders choose to put a CT on their wings, as one of the posts on the longest thread about says: it shouldn't work propertly, but it does, just the amount of riders doing this, called my attention, before this forum, the only previous knowledge I had about a CT on a motorcycle came from many years ago, when an acquaintance somehow got a Cagiva Elephant 900, very rare in Mexico, since back then motorcycle importation was prohibited or heavily taxed, anyway he needed the rear tire, of course he couldn't find it, went to a tire repair shop, and the owner looked among his selection of used car tires , ( a common practice around) and found a new temporary spare with the right size, since Ramon just used the Elephant in town, he didn't noticed any handling change.
As for CT on Wings, first hint was a few years ago, when drove a rented car from Homewood, Il to Buffalo and Niagara Falls, USA side all time, the straight super slab made me think I would do the same in flat roads, after that I saw a YouTube video of a guy riding his Wing with a camera attached to the bottom of the bike showing the leaning angles, incredible how that CT performed on twisties, as for Run Flat or not, I would choose RF, the major differences to my knowledge among CT vs MT are the exterior shape and the stiffer walls from a MT; long ago I was riding my Suzuki 450GS to Guadalajara, the bigger bike ever for me, I installed the only available rear tire, a Pirelli sport tire, sticky it worn out in 2000 mi or so, but you could feel how sticky it was with the finger when hot after a ride, it got a puncture, I just felt some different handling on the curves, I keep riding on that light bike for over 40 mi the tire didn't got flat, even airless, a few years ago, on the Hwy in this GL, two up, full load, got a flat at the rear, immediate notice of the flat, stop asap, plugged the tire and keep going shortly, so when i go for a CT I will choose the one with the ability to run flat for some time.

Retired&Riding.
current bikes: 2006 GL1800 ABS,Comfort,Navi.
2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure.
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Garage
It is a personal choice.
One I made because the MT, an E3, was so slippery when a lot of torque was applied in wet or loose conditions.

As my home here is all grass and the driveway is gravel, the E3 was not happy ( I wasn't ) and wanted to go sideways when throttle was applied.

After installing the CT it doesn't matter which way the front wheel is pointed, me and the bike just go. I of course don't purposely choose the grass areas when it is raining but it is at least survivable if I have to now.

I still choose to not go riding if it is raining, but if I'm out riding and it starts to rain, I just keep going. With the CT my comfort level is much better now and the back tire is not so easy to make go sideways like it used to be.

The Michelin Alpin has very good water sipes to help keep it from hydroplaning.

~ John

post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Just a Rider

Garage
I know John, I just would like to ride a Wing with a CT before I installed one on mine, despite 99% of the GL owners sticks to CT once they ride the bike, and generally they said toe same you did, after half hour you get so used, you forgot about it, there are a few who go back to MT, but eventually I will try a CT, since they are way more cheap, even than Shinkos, and if I decided to go back MT because of the handling, I could sell it.
Talking about the current Marathon in the front, I would replaced it if I could get an E3, as a matter of fact I guess it could last 2000 more miles easily before showing the replacement indicators, but as soon as Shinkos come, I will replace both.
Handling and life is the primary goal for me in a top heavy bike, leaning not so, but the 705 Shinkos on the R1150GS were used to the limit either at 100mph speed or twisties ( my limit of course nor the tires, nor the bike's) in my recent ride to Chiapas back in September.

Retired&Riding.
current bikes: 2006 GL1800 ABS,Comfort,Navi.
2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure.
post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Garage
I had a chance to ride DaveO430's 1800 with a CT on it and I "at first" noticed that the bike "wanted to stand up straight" at slow speeds, and if you are on rough pavement it can want to follow the grooves a bit. but has not been an issue for me... it is noticeable, but not a problem.

I know of some who have ridden with a CT and because they noticed the slow speed "differences" immediately rejected the idea of using a CT on a motorcycle. That is their prerogative, it is their bike.

For me, it is safety 1st: CT won't slide sideways in wet or loose surfaces

2nd is the extra tread wear, at least twice as many miles traveled before replacing it.

3rd, I can only say that I pulled my little trailer about 4,000 miles and it "just disappeared" behind me. I could not even tell it was back there unless I checked in the mirrors. Was that better with the CT? I think so, but maybe not.

After getting home, the tire looks just like it did before I left. There is no noticeable wear on it at all.

Still looks good to me with about 6,000 miles on it so far

~ John

post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Just a Rider

Garage
I see, any time I replace tires on any bike, I need to adapt to the new tire profile, since the replaced one got a square shape due more wear on the center, after a while I get so used I lost the new tire sensation and start enjoying the ride, some tires I adapt quicker than others, and in the case of mixing different brands, usually it took me longer, but with the current mix of Dunlop and Metzeler, I was not able to feel as comfortable as with D3 front and back. Anyway it helped to noticed the steering bearings needed replacement but it just slightly improved steering after replacement; surfed a little because I believed maybe it was a wrong tire for a GL1800 but it is not the case, just very different shapes due different brands, which by the way is advised against by experts.
post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:38 PM

Garage
EXPERT:

Explanation of:

1. a has been
2. a drip out of a faucet

believable? maybe, depends on if the spurt overwhelms you _

~ John

post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Just a Rider

Garage
I know John, the "brightest " minds declared it was impossible for a heavier than air craft to fly... luckily Wright brothers were not aware of that "fact".
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page