Lower Driving/Cornering Lights Out - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,556
Here in Wisconsin you need them on all the time. In the spring the ground is cold and the asphalt holds heat from the daytime sun. If you go down old blacktop roads the raccoons sleep on the nice warm asphalt. I didn't notice one and kicked it. It scared me more than hurt me. Wonder what the coon thought. Can't get a quiet nights sleep anymore????

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Member
 
rgmr250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Posts: 300
My understanding is that the 98-00 GL1500's had the 'cornering' (I think they are actually 'driving' lights and the design is different) lights on all the time. My 97 only has them come on when the turn signal is on.

According to Cyclemax in the text about the lower cowl driving lights they sell: "They stay on all of the time just like the 1998-2000 driving lights and plug in to the factory wiring harness" http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15..._lights/83/321

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
rgmr250 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmr250 View Post
My understanding is that the 98-00 GL1500's had the 'cornering' (I think they are actually 'driving' lights and the design is different) lights on all the time. My 97 only has them come on when the turn signal is on.

According to Cyclemax in the text about the lower cowl driving lights they sell: "They stay on all of the time just like the 1998-2000 driving lights and plug in to the factory wiring harness" http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15..._lights/83/321
You are correct. Even so you have to watch for the coons out there.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
fatwing chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Coldwater, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,998
The cornering lights do next to nothing as far as lighting up the road no matter what size bulbs you use.They are on too much of an angle towards the ditch.The only real advantage to lighting them all the time is that the bike looks much bigger coming towards you.If you want real driving lights you will have to change them out so the bulbs actually point in the right direction.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
fatwing chris is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Member
 
rgmr250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwing chris View Post
The cornering lights do next to nothing as far as lighting up the road no matter what size bulbs you use.They are on too much of an angle towards the ditch.The only real advantage to lighting them all the time is that the bike looks much bigger coming towards you.If you want real driving lights you will have to change them out so the bulbs actually point in the right direction.
My thoughts too. I've been eyeing the 50W LED lower cowl driving lights at Cyclemax. 100W of combined LED lighting would be handy. It would help with visibility (both me being able to see and oncoming cars seeing me.)

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
rgmr250 is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: All Roads Lead To Yosemite, CA.
Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Posts: 4,568
the lower cowl lights will make you bright to oncoming traffic, but the pattern and angle will remain to the front sides
Not much help in lighting the roadway

For that job you want some `cans`/aux lights, with LED and a narrow 10-15 degree spread.
Mount to crash bars or hide into the cowling. some mount to front forks- giving you real light on the road as you turn into the dark corner
Aloha Tom is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Member
 
rgmr250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
the lower cowl lights will make you bright to oncoming traffic, but the pattern and angle will remain to the front sides
Not much help in lighting the roadway

For that job you want some `cans`/aux lights, with LED and a narrow 10-15 degree spread.
Mount to crash bars or hide into the cowling. some mount to front forks- giving you real light on the road as you turn into the dark corner
I'm hoping/expecting that these ones from Cyclemax have the reflector setup differently so that they actually project more down the road and not just to the side: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15...ghts/83/195210

Anybody install these? Any comments on the light output/direction?

I do like the idea of the 10-15 degree LED spots mounted to the forks, so the light goes where the forks are pointed. You still have the angle problem when you lean the bike over (not like the adaptive headlight system on the BMW K1600GTL), though.

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
rgmr250 is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
fatwing chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Coldwater, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmr250 View Post
I'm hoping/expecting that these ones from Cyclemax have the reflector setup differently so that they actually project more down the road and not just to the side: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15...ghts/83/195210

Anybody install these? Any comments on the light output/direction?

I do like the idea of the 10-15 degree LED spots mounted to the forks, so the light goes where the forks are pointed. You still have the angle problem when you lean the bike over (not like the adaptive headlight system on the BMW K1600GTL), though.
They'll work.Says they're driving lights as opposed to cornering lights.You could also use the 98 to 2000 OEM lights also as they are driving lights.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
fatwing chris is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: All Roads Lead To Yosemite, CA.
Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Posts: 4,568
anyone else grow up with a bike where the headlight turned with the forks?
Getting used to the Wings car-like straight ahead setup... felt very odd on a motorcycle~

Fork mounted LEDs are on my wish list. Darkness comes before 5pm now- and the roads I like to enjoy a casual cruise on are totally unlit for 50+ miles, but still have all the corners!

Heated gear makes evening rides possible, comfortable even,,,if only I could see into the corner!

sidenote: ck craigslist for used heated gear, often a retiring rider of H-D or Wing lets a set go for cheap..
50 bucks each would be a steal
Aloha Tom is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Alabama
Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
anyone else grow up with a bike where the headlight turned with the forks?
Getting used to the Wings car-like straight ahead setup... felt very odd on a motorcycle~
It's only the faired GLs that the headlight is like that. There were three models before your 1500 that had the headlight on the forks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Fork mounted LEDs are on my wish list. Darkness comes before 5pm now- and the roads I like to enjoy a casual cruise on are totally unlit for 50+ miles, but still have all the corners!
Heated gear makes evening rides possible, comfortable even,,,if only I could see into the corner!
Or you could get a bike that the headlight actually turns with the corners. If I ever have an extra 30 large to spend on a bike, it'll be the K1600GTL
https://youtu.be/7vNESfn3nYw?t=34
spiralout is offline  
Closed Thread

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New LEDS for cornering/driving lights VDIGUY Goldwing Technical Forum 13 02-26-2015 11:44 AM
GL1500, cornering lights or driving lights?? pippomaranga Goldwing Technical Forum 9 01-17-2012 02:20 PM
Difference between fog/driving lights and cornering lights? kemoloney Goldwing Technical Forum 15 11-12-2011 09:31 PM
Driving/Cornering lights itsofficial Goldwing Technical Forum 1 06-18-2008 03:39 PM
Driving vs Cornering lights amosheath General Motorcycle Discussion Forum 18 03-10-2008 10:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome