LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2000
Make: 1500SE
Model: 1500SE Anniversary
Garage
Question Silly questions about clutch/oil and petcocks

O K so bear with me ...

My current other rides are two yamahas 79 xs750and80 xs850Triple shaft drive.

First Qustion: Both have wet clutches... clutch is bathed in engine oil. and hence oil with friction reducing additives are a no no.

Is the 2000 1500 clutch a wet clutch? I tried to find the answer in a shop manual I found on Goldwingdocs, which was for an 84 1200. Haven't found an on line answer.

Second question: Petcocks. the Yammies have a gravity feed fuel system. If the petcocks leak then you get gas in the oil and that is a real bummer. Many people have changed to manual, non-vacuum petcocks.

Are the petcocks that much of a problem with the goldwings and do people convert to manual? As I read it the Goldwings rely on an electric pressure pump, and therefore should not be the draining problem from the tank that the Yammies have.

Third question: rear shocks...Aw common guys.... an air pressure shock on the right and a standard spring shock on the left... am I reading that right? who thought of that one? and please help me WHY? I don't get it.

please tolerate me while l learn about my new toy that seems to be more complex than it needs too

John in Baltimore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfliesagain View Post

Is the 2000 1500 clutch a wet clutch?

Second question: Petcocks.

Are the petcocks that much of a problem with the goldwings and do people convert to manual?

Third question: rear shocks...Aw common guys.... an air pressure shock on the right and a standard spring shock on the left... am I reading that right? who thought of that one? and please help me WHY? I don't get it.
1: yes, it is wet

2: yes, it is vacuum, and is not opened until after the engine is spinning.

3: um, it seems to work okay, I never bothered doing anything different on a '94 and a '98.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfliesagain View Post
O K so bear with me ...

My current other rides are two yamahas 79 xs750and80 xs850Triple shaft drive.

First Qustion: Both have wet clutches... clutch is bathed in engine oil. and hence oil with friction reducing additives are a no no.

Is the 2000 1500 clutch a wet clutch? I tried to find the answer in a shop manual I found on Goldwingdocs, which was for an 84 1200. Haven't found an on line answer.

Second question: Petcocks. the Yammies have a gravity feed fuel system. If the petcocks leak then you get gas in the oil and that is a real bummer. Many people have changed to manual, non-vacuum petcocks.

Are the petcocks that much of a problem with the goldwings and do people convert to manual? As I read it the Goldwings rely on an electric pressure pump, and therefore should not be the draining problem from the tank that the Yammies have.

please tolerate me while l learn about my new toy that seems to be more complex than it needs too

John in Baltimore.
1. yeah it is wet -- you'll see common oil bath and also an oil-scavenging pump in the rear case to get the oil fed to the clutch area back into the sump. Friction-reducing modifiers in car-oils are still a no no for the 1500 (all years of Goldwing are wet clutch FWIW)

2. Originally the 1500 did not have a fuel petcock (back in early '88), but after a few really flooded starts and some alleged issues with hydro-locking, Honda modified the fuel-path to include the vacuum-operated petcock (and issued TSB 1500#1 to retrofit the petcock into bike that were produced without to keep the US' EPA happy on the hot-start emissions, I suspect). The issue is that the pump is a by-pass vane style pump, so fuel can easily flow through the pump when the pump is not spinning. If the float's needle/seat will allow fuel flow, the bike will gravity feed, and due to some of the emissions regulations (about having to hold fuel vapor in the tank) this can be under slight pressure -- really not too much of an issue, exacerbated on the side stand after a hot ride where fuel may sublimate from the bowls allowing floats to drop while the bike is still warm. The vacuum stuff works for years, and can be rebuilt on the cheap. I've changed some to electric petcocks (advantage of allowing fuel to pass when the key is first turned ON to replenish dry bowls) and others to manual (really ugly - you've gotta open the fuel door before and after each ride) and some folks just remove the petcock altogether and maybe start rich now and then...

3) Yep - you really only have one "shock" in the sense of a oscillation dampener -- the other is just an airbag to help the spring hold the varying weight-load in the design-center of the swing-arm motion. Quite a few people change to a dual air-shock setup from Progressive Suspension - Progressive Suspension also offers a dual-shock setup with the more conventional spring pre-load adjustment cams like found on a lot of the other dual-shock bikes (these are great if you ride the same weight all the time, but reaching in to change the setting can be a bit of a bugger). As mentioned, the shock + Airbag setup was OEM from 1988 through 2000 production and seems to do the job nicely, even if there is a little torsional force on the stamped/welded hollow swing-arm...

This site has a "buyer's guide" that might help a new owner some (at the very least, you can review all the Honda TSBs on your bike, to better understand a little of the evolution) https://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1500.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Make: 1500SE
Model: 1500SE Anniversary
Garage
Oh God am I really thanking Satan for a response? guess so!

Really great info.. thanks for the explanation about the innards of the pump. an "ah ha" moment.

There have been many a horror story about the Yamaha engines having "The Dreaded Gas/Oil", caused by the vacuum diaphragm failure or even a bit of dirt failing to seal the valves. And yes it is worse on the side stand. I have switched both of my bikes to manual from Mikesxs.com. Not cheap at $110 per bike but worth the price of an engine. And the petcocks are out in the open so easy on / off too!

Best source for electric petcocks?

Well I will wait to find out about the suspension before doing anything to the bike; and as a new owner, I will have a lot of waiting and reading to do!

Last edited by johnfliesagain; 01-14-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:15 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Here is one source for the electric petcocks.

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html
satan likes this.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post

I've prolly got a few of these bouncing around the bench ...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
the Wing was ahead of its time in many areas, one being the mono-shock rear end commonly found on bikes today. The left rear is doing ALL the real suspension work, the right shock is used to raise the rear end back to correct LEVEL setting when you are loaded up with passenger and or luggage.
Stock, stay below 50 psi. Try 10-15-20 solo.
With passenger 20-40 and 50 is fully loaded to the limits!
The air shock is just that- an air/oil only device - no spring- that can stiffen the ride feeling by adding pressure. There are some guys who always use 50psi and ride it like they are on the race track!
Ck left shock for oil leaks, otherwise its probably still good
Right side can get seal failure and be rebuilt- new oil can help and drying the pump- all in our diy section
Everyone using the $400 Progressive rears loves them as both have real springs and oil inside, and excellent air control for plush freeway ride or taking it camping~
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post

I'm running a similar one myself I used the tail light for power.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Make: 1500
Model: SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
Stock, stay below 50 psi. Try 10-15-20 solo.
With passenger 20-40 and 50 is fully loaded to the limits!
The air shock is just that- an air/oil only device - no spring- that can stiffen the ride feeling by adding pressure. There are some guys who always use 50psi and ride it like they are on the race track!
The rear air shock is rated to 57 psi. When taking this measurement or making adjustments it should be done on the center stand because the air pump is very small and it stresses it if you make it push up the weight of a loaded bike.

I keep it 45-48 all the time, but I am running a taller rear tire and like my corners...

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
like I said, some people run 50psi and ride it like they are on the racetrack!
For regular people, try lower!
rider weight is also a factor in psi
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page