Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Seized Caliper pistons

hello guys, im having trouble with my front brakes, i took the calippers off, (this is on the valkyrie btw not linked brakes) one side seemed to be completely seized cuz had a lot of pad materia left. the other side had the pads completely gone.

on the left caliper i pumped air and just one piston moved out
on the right side caliper i cant get the pistons to move. my air pump only does 100psi so thats all i got. is there any trick?

one of them seems to have the seals bown out?? is that even possible? i can see some oring like material coming out from between the caliper body and the cylinder.

any help will be highly appreciated. im starting to get disapointed on this deal i made. this bike has trouble everywhere i look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
get a hydraulic grease gun, make up a fitting to attach it to the brake caliper, and then force it out with the grease gun....

More pressure on the caliper itself, and a lot less destructive when it breaks loose.
teacher likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:50 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I would think it is just about impossible to blow the seals out, probably someone had it apart and messed it up putting it together. A std. 1/8 npt grease fitting will screw into the banjo bolt hole good enough to use a grease gun to push the pistons out.
teacher likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
using a grease pump with actual grease??

i dont have access to the rebuild kit. probably one caliper is salvageable. do you think i can plug the line coming to one of the calipers and run the bike with one caliper only, while i can get the supplies??
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_86 View Post
using a grease pump with actual grease??

i dont have access to the rebuild kit. probably one caliper is salvageable. do you think i can plug the line coming to one of the calipers and run the bike with one caliper only, while i can get the supplies??
Yep -- Grease gun with grease... even the very inexpensive grease guns will deliver more than 1000psi (even cheap new long lever cartridge guns go into the 9000psi range). As mentioned, the added benefit of NOT having a compressed gas in the caliper to shoot the caliper piston out and kill anyone. I do this with a piece of wood to hold the pistons from fully ejecting from the caliper, so that the pressure you apply will move the stuck piston as well.

For my part, I would not try to cheat around the braking hydraulics -- mostly because once I start riding like that, I'd prolly never return to fix it correctly -- also, with the reduced forces, braking could be very dangerous (and you need good brakes there!)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:06 PM

Year: 1987
Model: 1987 gl1200 aspencade
I always get away with cleaning it and reusing the seals. Attempt this first if your worried about cash. Usually crud build up is the only problem.

1987 goldwing aspencade
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I've had some luck freeing up pistons by pushing them in first with c-clamps. That seems to break loose what's holding them.
I've been lucky and never had to use the grease gun trick.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 PM

Year: 2001
Model: GL1800ABS
Garage
If the caliper is in that condition I would rebuild it. They have rebuild kits and once rebuilt they operate fantastic. I had a caliper off a SV1000 that I rebuilt so I could mod it on my Ninja 300. Rebuilding it made all the difference in the world. The S/S line I installed only made the braking better.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I actually pushed the Pistons a little to try to break them lose... say I pushed them in like 5mm but no luck moving them out.

Pushing the dirty cylinders in won't hurt the seals??

Then problem is that I am in Mexico and right now the currency between mx peso and usd is very expensive say. 1 usd = 18mx peso +- then add the expensive shipping to mexico and customs fee. It's overkill for me.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:49 PM

Year: 2001
Model: GL1800ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_86 View Post

Pushing the dirty cylinders in won't hurt the seals??
You should clean the cylinders and the caliper BEFORE you push the cylinders in. Brake dust/grit, can damage the seals and make them leak.
Bite the bullet and rebuild them. Nothing more important than brakes.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page