Right Side Hazzard on Trailer not Flashing - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredman View Post
My trailer is 4 wire. Running Lights, blinker (Amber), and brake lights same as tail just double filament. Not LED. My trailer is attached.
That's five wire.

1: Tail/Running
2: Brake
3: Left blinker
4: Right blinker
5: Ground

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2014
Make: Honda
Model: 2014 Gl1800 Motor Trike Razor
Garage
Yes, I am going to give it try again with no converter and hook like you said. Thanks John...

Jim's Motor Trike Razor
My YouTube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
That last video finally uploaded..... I hate slow ADSL with a passion...

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
IMO,

you should always provide a Ground Wire thru the light wiring plug for the trailer.

Hitches are infamous for being a very poor and lossy ground circuit.

~ John

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Hey,

That 4 to 5 wire stuff is crap... a great way for people to damage the wiring on the bike.

When I rebuilt my bike, I wired a 3rd brake light in the trunk to a strobe circuit. That way when the bike had the brakes applied, for 3.5 seconds the third brake light will strobe to get attention and it really does.

When I built the trailer for the bike, I wanted to continue with that theme so I used a 6 wire going to the bike. Most people would just need the five wires. They would not have the line to the brake strobe.

Ground
Left
Right
Brake
Brake strobe
Parking lights

The tail light I chose for the trailer has the traditional red brake light and the amber turn signal light in them. I used LED for everything.

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Garage
Those Pulsing 3rd brake lights in the center definitely do get the attention of the traffic behind you.

IMO, it is because there isn't anything in that spot while it is not lit up....
and then, when the brakes are applied, that void becomes a brilliant spot of light....

On my trailer, since I used external SEMA LED lights, mounted with the optional L-bracket mounts, it puts the lights 3 inches away from the trailer on both sides.

That increases the "visual width", and also those lights are not lit at all, unless the brakes are applied. So, for me, I have 3 extra brake lights showing up all at once.

my summer tour covered 4500 miles over 30 days.... all kinds of roads, all kinds of weather, dry to wet and heavy rain.... not once, did anyone try to run up onto me when I applied the brakes.

Usually, the vehicle behind me dropped back and gave me a bit of extra room... I very much appreciated that result.

YMMV

~ John

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:05 PM

I believe in being totally lit up and identifiable (as a UFO) on the road.

Our first road trip we were on with the trailer was wet to say the least. I know that when I thought someone was too close all I needed to do was touch the brakes and they got the message.

It works great in the full sun but on a wet, gloomy and rainy day when everyone wants to pass you it works like nothing else..

Tim

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 PM

Oh yes John... I see what you mean with the "wide look".

When I did the trailer I made a bumper that was the full width of the trailer including the tires. It sure does make a difference.

Tim

____

Please visit
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post
Oh yes John... I see what you mean with the "wide look".

When I did the trailer I made a bumper that was the full width of the trailer including the tires. It sure does make a difference.

Tim

Tim,

when I started my revamp of that trailer, I made it a point to relocate all of the lighting.... I removed everything the PO had on it... puny little dinky lights that were barely visible at night, much less in daylight.

I put a lot of money in the lights compared to what he did....

I am wondering if I should add extra side lights on the trailer to add more visibility from the 90 degree off views??

~ John

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2014
Model: 2014 Gl1800 Motor Trike Razor
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Yup, been there done that, and it won't ever work right.

I threw away all of the crapola 5 to 4 wire stuff..... a couple of good friends had to hit me over the head with a hammer before I believed them..........

but, all you need to do is remove all of that stuff.

Run the right turn signal and connect it to the trailer's "stop light", this becomes your new turn signal.

do the same for the left.

run the running lights to the normal running lights on the trailer.... the smaller of the two filaments in the 1157 bulbs.

Now, acquire some nice looking stop lights. I highly recommend the SEMA trucker's LED lights which can be bought at any auto parts store. The bracket to mount them can be used on the side of a trailer, as I did. Or, you can flush mount them and use a chrome bezel.

To this new brake light, all you do is run a new Brake Light wire, right off of the Stop lights for the bike... and wallah! you are done.

now, the Hazard lights will work exactly like they are supposed to.
So run the left and right turn signal to the same "Stop Light"? Wouldn't neither blink? Seems they would be shorted together? Mine are not wired individually except inside the trailer. Not at the 4 pin connector.

Jim's Motor Trike Razor
My YouTube Channel:

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page