Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaking Intake Valve - Leakdown Test

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Aloha Tom 
#1 ·
I just got everything back together, all fresh orings and gaskets on coolant system, oil change, carb clean, timing belts and pulleys, checked and reset valves. I had to adjust about half of them, and they were very close at that.

I left all the plugs out and tested compression with choke off (butterflies open) and WOT. I got:

1: 150
2: 120
3: 150
4: 145

I did a leakdown test on #2 and got a hissing intake valve. That's the youtube link. I had a ~30% loss of pressure on the leakdown tester. I need to recheck tomorrow after work, I only had 60 psi left in my tank and it's 1am... the other tenants in the 4 family apartment aren't happy when I turn it on this late lol. I think the pressure loss may increase with 120 lbs of air.

Piston showed no damage when I looked down through the spark plug hole with a boroscope. Cylinder walls also looked clean.

Worthy of note:

1. My timing was off by a tooth on BOTH sides and the tensioners were equally set way too loose. They both had 1/2" of play instead of about and 1/8" on the side opposite the tensioner. Like the previous 'mechanic' didn't preload the belt when he set the tensioner. And how do you get the timing off, like really. This has got to be the easiest timing belt I have ever done. I can't believe I never checked it, the bike ran the way I thought it did... slow and no nuts. It's the only one I have ever ridden lol. There was no engine noise, I guess one tooth wasn't enough to run the pistons into the valves.

2. The bike has been sitting outside under a tarp for almost a year and half (I know I know... bad me)

Being that it sat for so long, should I just fire this bad boy up and rip around for a while and recheck compression (as I've read by a few members on here while searching the forum) or do I need to address this now?

Leakdown test link:

Thank you guys!!

See less See more
#3 ·
I had the timing inspection cap off and lined up at T-1. I know it was the correct stroke because the first time around, as soon as I put air into the cylinder, like 5 lbs, it began blowing out the exhaust. I turned the crank another 360 to T-1 again and that's the video you watched. After I took the video, I pulled the valve cover to be absolutely sure I was on the right stroke at TDC, and tested again for the same result. Both the intake and exhaust valves were free from the cam lobe, and clearance was set right at 0.004 and 0.005, respectively.

#7 ·
If it was my bike, I would do as Smeden said and just ride it and let all the moving parts get reacquainted after the long setup. After a few hundred miles then make the test again. I think the results will be better.

#8 ·
this is a job for Seafoam! run thru the gas tank it will clean the backs of intake valves and improve sealing

use 2 oz per gal fuel = 1/2 can per full tank on the Wing,,more product does not make it work better or faster
Do that thru 4 tanks (2 cans seafoam) and reck your numbers

It will also clean gung from the fuel system and carbs, clean the piston tops and more

#12 ·
correction to my numbers
Use 2 oz per gal yes, A can is 16 oz. so 12 oz in a 6 gal Wing tank is 3/4 of a can,,, (if your model has a smaller tank do your own math~)
my bad
previous post said 1/2 can, which is fine for the use in engine oil before change... and as maintenance dose in fuel tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.