1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Leaking Intake Valve - Leakdown Test

I just got everything back together, all fresh orings and gaskets on coolant system, oil change, carb clean, timing belts and pulleys, checked and reset valves. I had to adjust about half of them, and they were very close at that.

I left all the plugs out and tested compression with choke off (butterflies open) and WOT. I got:

1: 150
2: 120
3: 150
4: 145

I did a leakdown test on #2 and got a hissing intake valve. That's the youtube link. I had a ~30% loss of pressure on the leakdown tester. I need to recheck tomorrow after work, I only had 60 psi left in my tank and it's 1am... the other tenants in the 4 family apartment aren't happy when I turn it on this late lol. I think the pressure loss may increase with 120 lbs of air.

Piston showed no damage when I looked down through the spark plug hole with a boroscope. Cylinder walls also looked clean.

Worthy of note:

1. My timing was off by a tooth on BOTH sides and the tensioners were equally set way too loose. They both had 1/2" of play instead of about and 1/8" on the side opposite the tensioner. Like the previous 'mechanic' didn't preload the belt when he set the tensioner. And how do you get the timing off, like really. This has got to be the easiest timing belt I have ever done. I can't believe I never checked it, the bike ran the way I thought it did... slow and no nuts. It's the only one I have ever ridden lol. There was no engine noise, I guess one tooth wasn't enough to run the pistons into the valves.

2. The bike has been sitting outside under a tarp for almost a year and half (I know I know... bad me)

Being that it sat for so long, should I just fire this bad boy up and rip around for a while and recheck compression (as I've read by a few members on here while searching the forum) or do I need to address this now?

Leakdown test link:

Thank you guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
How did you hold the #2 piston on top dead centre or didn't you?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

I had the timing inspection cap off and lined up at T-1. I know it was the correct stroke because the first time around, as soon as I put air into the cylinder, like 5 lbs, it began blowing out the exhaust. I turned the crank another 360 to T-1 again and that's the video you watched. After I took the video, I pulled the valve cover to be absolutely sure I was on the right stroke at TDC, and tested again for the same result. Both the intake and exhaust valves were free from the cam lobe, and clearance was set right at 0.004 and 0.005, respectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

No audible sound from the crankcase breathers either, so I would assume the rings are in good condition.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

The air pressure was not moving the crank at all, while it was hissing air I peeked over and looked at the timing mark and it was staying put.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:39 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
With yours test result ,i wouldnt worry to much .
Probably just a Little rust on the valve seat or the valve .
I would ride it for 200 - 300 miles and readjust the valves ,(may be needed when the rust is gone ).

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:29 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
If it was my bike, I would do as Smeden said and just ride it and let all the moving parts get reacquainted after the long setup. After a few hundred miles then make the test again. I think the results will be better.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
this is a job for Seafoam! run thru the gas tank it will clean the backs of intake valves and improve sealing

use 2 oz per gal fuel = 1/2 can per full tank on the Wing,,more product does not make it work better or faster
Do that thru 4 tanks (2 cans seafoam) and reck your numbers

It will also clean gung from the fuel system and carbs, clean the piston tops and more
tire joe likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 PM

Model: 1985 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
this is a job for Seafoam! run thru the gas tank it will clean the backs of intake valves and improve sealing

use 2 oz per gal fuel = 1/2 can per full tank on the Wing,,more product does not make it work better or faster
Do that thru 4 tanks (2 cans seafoam) and reck your numbers

It will also clean gung from the fuel system and carbs, clean the piston tops and more
Ride it like you stole it !

I want ride Tire Joe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good to me, heck anything besides undoing everything I've done sounds good lol

I'll try the seafoam through four tanks of fuel and report back to this thread with some results when they come in.

Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tire joe View Post
Ride it like you stole it !
heh... pegs are on the ground almost every time I ride this beast! One of the feelers on the peg is... uh... missing?

No idea what happened to it
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page