any clutch adj on 84 1200? - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
The GL12 is not hard to put on the centerstand. I have recently had to put a BMW 1100 and a Suzuki Cavalcade on their stands. The 'Cade has a dual-action stand and it was still much harder to use the c-stand. The Beemer just had a regular stand and took a couple of tries. Hell, even my 750F was harder to stand than the 12.
JeffMayfield likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
My 1200 goes on the center stand easily.

When I got it I needed to put the front tire on a 2x4 to get it on the center stand.

Fixing the shocks by refilling the oil and replacing o-rings so it would hold air.

When the shocks are letting the bike bottom out there is an issue.

Even heavily loaded a gl1200 should not bottom out.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMayfield View Post
My 1200 goes on the center stand easily.
How big are you?
At 140 pounds soaking wet I've always had trouble and now that I'm older than dirt I find it impossible.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
How big are you?
At 140 pounds soaking wet I've always had trouble and now that I'm older than dirt I find it impossible.
Ken - have trouble getting my '85 on its centre stand as well, I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. My 1800 is easier. I took note of the need to probably take the centre stand off and do some maintenance on it. I do find putting a strap around the upper part of the rear saddlebag guard helps with the lifting of the bike.

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
176.5 lbs

I learned how and fixed the suspension both these helped.

I find it a little more difficult when I'm bare foot.

I'm also 35 so I'm sure that helps.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
My loving family.

Every single person there can put my 1500 on the center stand. I can, and have several times put it on the center stand in my bare feet. I was to lazy to go to the house to get my crocks.

If they can do it you can to... it's all in the technique!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010610_resize.JPG (268.8 KB, 18 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:20 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post
.....Every single person there can put my 1500 on the center stand......
1200 versus 1500, apples and oranges.

BTW: In Canada it's a centre stand.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
In Canada it's a centre stand.
Yes... but an American spell checker!

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Myers View Post
... etc ...
It doesn't slip, but it engages at the VERY END of the clutch handle travel when the clutch handle is ALL THE WAY OUT from the handlebars. The new brass bushing just pushed the handle that much further OUT from the handlebar. that just tells me the clutch friction discs are ... THIN,
... etc ...

Just sitting here ...... letting supper settle a little ..... reading old posts ..... like this thread from March ...... and even reading to the end ..... seems you did not trust your clutch after all was said and done.

You needed the bushing, no question there.

As to engagement .... like others said ..... what you have now is perfectly normal for a Gold Wing's hydraulic clutch mechanism when it's in good working order. What's not normal, what's not "good" is a clutch engaging at half stroke.

You mention the PO being a big guy .... many GL1200s and 1500s and 1800s spend their whole life starting out almost always two up with stuff in the bags and often, a trailer. Short of serious abuse, the clutches last because they are oil bath multiplate clutches, slipping to get going isn't so hard on them.

I've had my '85 since 1995 and the trike since 2004, I have replaced that bushing a time or two on each and keep them on hand .... I suggest anyone do so.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Make: Honda
Model: 84 Aspencade
Well.... if it works... DONT FIX IT!!!!! it does work, it does not slip, replaced bushing in clutch handle as it was egg shaped and the little rod had worn through the brass bushing. got new fluid in the system, seems to be ok...for now. I don't think 2 GOOD MEN and a crane cld get the thing up on the centre stand, why they even bothered to put it on there is a mystery to me? I've seen the U tube videos on how ez the 1800's are to get up on the stand, that is NICE; maybe im just a clutz and am missing something; that is ok. the side stand works fine. if I HAD TO to get it UPRIGHT I would use the BRAND NEW, never been out of the box, HF aluminum floor jack I bought way back; im sure it will lift the bike easily... AND THEN put down the center stand? I don't think my hernia wants to be aggravated right now any more than necessary, thank you

a LEO pulled up next to me and seemed to think my ice blue 18mm lights I put in the trunk were... as pretty as I thought they were; he seemed to think that "they might cause an accident"... well...ppl NOTICE things that STAND OUT FROM THE EVERYDAY and people don't "see" MC's in the "minds eye," I believe the term is. ppl just notice the absence of car/truck (things that ARE DANGEROUS to them in their cage), not MC's. everyone is in SUCH A HURRY??? EVERY LIGHT IS RED! cant they see that...from 6 blocks away? RUSHING UP THE RED LIGHT and CLAMPING DOWN ON THE BRAKES just wastes gas and brakes? I like to see how far I can coast before I have to start to use the brakes...to turn on the brake lights mostly. if I go down cuz of something that I do, that is on me; but being run over by a 6000# SUV as someone didn't "see" me is unacceptable. the lights (should) tell ppl, "STAY BACK or BLOW BY!"

they had a bike thing north of here memorial day weekend, 2 "incidents" in the paper; one... pick up pulled out in front of the person on the MC and then... TOOK OFF. POVERTY IS HIGH in this/north part of the state...~1/3 do NOT have liability insurance here? I try to remind myself NOT to park near vehicles that look like they have been playing "road games" ($500 vehicles) so I don't get any "beauty marks" in my nice, to me, vehicle. when I go to the store, I park out so the vehicle is all by itself, under a light at night, but still by other vehicles so that ppl cutting through the parking lot at warp speed don't run into it. I need the exercise anyway...many of us do 10,000 steps a DAY, WOW!!! that is all I have to say about that- Forest, Forest Gump.

I like the part where he tells the DI, when the DI asks him, "GUMP, WHAT IS YOUR SOLE PURPOSE IN LIFE?" Forest replied, "TO DO WHATEVER U TELL ME DRILL SGT!" the DI replied, "... GUMP U ARE SMART!!! I WOULD RECOMMEND U FOR OCS, if it were not such a waste of an enlisted man" the other one, I didn't get so much... when Forest went to buy the OLD fishing boat, the old man asked him, "are u stupid or somethin'?" Forest answered, "Stupid is as stupid does"???? been there, done that...got the T shirt (still alive). Happy Motoring
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page