Radiator flush out - Page 25 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwing View Post
"It seems best to CAREFULLY chase any and all threads to be sure at reassembly."

To chase or not to chase... that is the question.

I have seen some pretty horrible screw-ups from people chasing threads that should have never tried, myself included. It is so easy for something to go wrong that my Opinion is unless the threads are noticeably damaged, use brake cleaner and an appropriate pipe brush to clean the threads if dirty. Use eye protection as the brake cleaner will come back out at you and when done blow the threads clean.

For gasket removal I use a brush on or spray on remover. It bubbles off the gasket via a chemical reaction on regular gaskets. Not sure about head gaskets. It should. It leaves very little scrubbing or cleaning to do after.

Regarding your "Clean head pic"... make sure you do not loose that key! You are screwed without it!! I am surprised that it has not come out already after man handling the head for cleaning.

I use silicone lube on all O-rings.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clean head - Key note.jpg (258.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: gif Keyseat and Key and Keyway.gif (47.3 KB, 15 views)
JeffMayfield likes this.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: GL1200 I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post
To chase or not to chase... that is the question.

I have seen some pretty horrible screw-ups from people chasing threads that should have never tried, myself included. It is so easy for something to go wrong that my Opinion is unless the threads are noticeably damaged, use brake cleaner and an appropriate pipe brush to clean the threads if dirty. Use eye protection as the brake cleaner will come back out at you and when done blow the threads clean.

For gasket removal I use a brush on or spray on remover. It bubbles off the gasket via a chemical reaction on regular gaskets. Not sure about head gaskets. It should. It leaves very little scrubbing or cleaning to do after. also, i was planning to replace both timing belts, and i remembered that the PO gave me an extra OEM belt still sealed shut in the packge, can i use this so i only have to buy one new belt?

Regarding your "Clean head pic"... make sure you do not loose that key! You are screwed without it!! I am surprised that it has not come out already after man handling the head for cleaning.

I use silicone lube on all O-rings.

Tim
oh jeez i didnt realize the key was detachable, thanks for the heads up!! there is only one right? for cleaning gasket areas im going to try brake cleaner and rapid but low presssure sifting back and for with the green side of a sponge, ill be as gente as i can until all the sticky material is removed
post #243 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
1 key per head.

If you keep wrenching you'll find most pulleys have a removable key.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMayfield View Post
1 key per head.

If you keep wrenching you'll find most pulleys have a removable key.
okay i looked at both keys and the other one looks a bit different, like a more flat shape, is this normal?

also, im not sure if this is another thead topic but i wonder if there is anything wrong with my pistons, I do sometimes this rattling noise that sounds like slightly different sized metal washers or rings spinning and different speeds. It usually happens at idle or when i pull in the clutch. i saw this an an engine info website "Yet in spite of these things, pistons do sometimes fail. The symptoms of a piston failure can include engine noise (rattling or knocking noises while the engine is idling), oil burning, misfiring and loss of power."
post #245 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:47 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
There is nothing wrong with your pistons...

Stay FOCUSED!!!

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #246 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:

Stay FOCUSED!!!

Tim
And unless the right side tells a different story likely nothing wrong with the head gaskets.
JeffMayfield likes this.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #247 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Stay FOCUSED!!!

Tim
ok, i was just concerned that the source of the rattling was the pistons, but i guess that will be another thread when my wing is running again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
And unless the right side tells a different story likely nothing wrong with the head gaskets.
do you suspect the head gaskets werent bad in the first place? if thats is so, what would explain the cross contamination if the cooling system/crankcase and the pressure build up in rad?
post #248 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Did you take pics of both heads/gaskets before you started cleaning them up?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #249 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwing View Post

do you suspect the head gaskets werent bad in the first place? if thats is so, what would explain the cross contamination if the cooling system/crankcase and the pressure build up in rad?
Coolant and oil can mix either at the head gaskets Or at the water pump.

It is always best to diagnoses the issue first Just like we tried to get you to do well before you bought the poorboy kit.

That said now that you have started you need to stay focused and finish the job.............. Keep in mind you will likely have more repairs to make before the bike is road worthy.

Right now you need to stay focused on the head job then the water pump.

Once that is done and the bike is running again we can move on to other problems.

I say keep it in this thread because you have lots of smart folks following this thread to help you.

We could use more pictures.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #250 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Did you take pics of both heads/gaskets before you started cleaning them up?
I took pics of the heads before cleaning(its a few pages back i think) and pics of heads after i cleaned them(also posted on here). I left the gaskets on the heads during cleaning to protect the mating surfaces from accidental scratching from the stainless steel mini brush. I am going to remove the gaskets from the heads tomorrow morning so I can resurface the heads. ill take pics and upload them as soon as i can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMayfield View Post
Coolant and oil can mix either at the head gaskets Or at the water pump.

It is always best to diagnoses the issue first Just like we tried to get you to do well before you bought the poorboy kit.

That said now that you have started you need to stay focused and finish the job.............. Keep in mind you will likely have more repairs to make before the bike is road worthy.

Right now you need to stay focused on the head job then the water pump.

Once that is done and the bike is running again we can move on to other problems.

I say keep it in this thread because you have lots of smart folks following this thread to help you.

We could use more pictures.
yea i definitely plan on repairing to road worthy condition, but ill focus on the heads and pump for now. that being said, are there any pictures that you guys request? from specific angles or anything? im here to help you, help me. just let me know! . So im spending all of my day off tomorrow working on the wing, the rest of my water pump parts came in today so i have all the all the parts i need now(minus that coolant joint pipe gasket)!! im going to continue sanding the blocks down first, im using 800 grit and lightly but rapidly going back and forth and it was taking FOREVER just to get the top layers of the gunk off. Am I being too gentile? should i apply a bit more pressure?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page