58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Actually, the oil control orifice holes need cleaned out. I can see dirt in your last picture.

You should have 2 orings for each oil control orifice.

You'll want to install the OCO when you get the dowel pins in place and have the gasket hanging on the pins.

That would also make a good trophy photo especially with the matting surface of the head in the picture.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Just Winging It

Garage
Install all 7 bolts hand tight

Get the first 6 bolts torqued completely by increasing the torque in steps

Then torque #7 using a smaller torque wrench.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (172.3 KB, 60 views)

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

post #293 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: GL1200 I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Let us know before you put that shift seal in.
will do. can i do it after the water pump before i put oil in the engine and start the bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMayfield View Post
Actually, the oil control orifice holes need cleaned out. I can see dirt in your last picture.

You should have 2 orings for each oil control orifice.

You'll want to install the OCO when you get the dowel pins in place and have the gasket hanging on the pins.

That would also make a good trophy photo especially with the matting surface of the head in the picture.

have the o rings, im not quite sure which side they go on though. can anyone look at my pics of the heads on page 28 and tell my why one head has a groove around the cap and the other doesnt? is this normal or did I loose a part? im planning to change both caps as well, are there any tricks to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #294 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

so i put the heads back on, it seemed a little too easy to put them on as far as torque goes. It was hell taking the bolts off, i thought it was because they were on so tight, but there wasnt any grease on them when i took them if so they may have seized. it was muuuuuuch easier to put them on with the grease to the point where im questioning the functionality of my torque wrench. it it possible i have a bad wrench? it read 45 foot pounds on the meter, but i felt light i could have tightened the bolts a lot more. would there be any harm in tightening them more?? on another note, im going to do the water pump and shift shaft seal tomorrow. yall told me to let you know when i do the seal, so here i am telling you haha.
post #295 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Make sure to put some masking tape on the splines before you slide the new seal on, and a little oil would help, too.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #296 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

i installed the timing belts, took off the trans cover and water pump cover and cleaned it all so its ready to go back on. the valve covers are still off as im still unsure if i need to put oil in t he defoaming chambers since is didnt open them. and two, how do i instill the coolant joint pipe? do i screw it on or do i just push it on and and put the screws it.
post #297 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Just Winging It

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwing View Post
i installed the timing belts, took off the trans cover and water pump cover and cleaned it all so its ready to go back on.
Good job sounds like you'll be able to ride soon.

Before you started you asked "How long will it take?"
I'd say about a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonwing View Post
the valve covers are still off as im still unsure if i need to put oil in t he defoaming chambers since is didnt open them.
I would cause the chambers have leaked dry by now. It's easy so why not.

Keep us posted.

post #298 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Just Winging It

Garage
You should take a class when you get it running so you can ride for many years to come.

http://www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx
PAPete likes this.

post #299 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

yeah its been 24 days now, so that's about right . Jeff, I actually completed my BRC a few weeks before i started riding my wing! i figured it was just a better idea all around. im still learning, as will i always, and im taking more time aside to learn to be a better rider, but aside from that, now im learning how to take care of and maintain my ride . ill be sure to keep you guys posted, that being said, how do i install the coolant joint pipe? it doesn't twist on does it?
post #300 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

when putting the valve covers on, one of the was sitting against the hole exterior instead of going in the srcew hole, without knowing this, i screwed away the side of the hole exterior, shaving little bit of metal strings off. when i did realize this after taking the cover back off, i cleaned all the little peices, there wasnt much, i was still afraid of the potential damage it would do to my engine. i realized after i put the cover back on that maybe i should have sanded it down or something? is it possible that the oil flow can possibly "peel" more metal off from that areal as the surface was still a bit un even??
Im doing the water pump today, i just realized the neutral switch wire is not behind the heat sheild, i forgot to put it back before putting the timing belts on. is this a big deal? can i just route it on an alternate path?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page