Refurbishing a 1998 Aspencade - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:38 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
I recommend you check the exhaust chamber connections, two in front for exhaust pipe and two in rear for muffler. Check for a crack on the metal connectors or a bad chamber gasket, and repair or replace while the exhaust covers are removed.

I have just completed these checks and repairs, and re-painted exhaust covers (r176c), refreshed heat shields. If you need any information on these issues I may share my experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Year: 1995
Make: Honda (of course!)
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
TNRick,

Don't forget all my rebuild posts and videos from the last two years, and feel free to email me directly If I can advise/help. I also have two full harnesses sitting in a box if you need replacement connectors, etc.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...gl1500-se.html

Rick/KG

Rick Sheeley/King Gypsy
East Coast,USA

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.." - Stephen Hawking
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Model: Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgypsy View Post
TNRick,

Don't forget all my rebuild posts and videos from the last two years, and feel free to email me directly If I can advise/help. I also have two full harnesses sitting in a box if you need replacement connectors, etc.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...gl1500-se.html

Rick/KG

I had read through your entire rebuild when I was doing research on different things. Funny thing. I looked up a bunch of different items and your posts always came up. Did you get an honorary "Honda Certified Mechanic" out of your rebuild? Thanks for the info on the parts. A parts source is always good.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
1992 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2012 Harley Softail Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdeniz Umman View Post
I recommend you check the exhaust chamber connections, two in front for exhaust pipe and two in rear for muffler. Check for a crack on the metal connectors or a bad chamber gasket, and repair or replace while the exhaust covers are removed.

I have just completed these checks and repairs, and re-painted exhaust covers (r176c), refreshed heat shields. If you need any information on these issues I may share my experiences.

I have pulled both mufflers off and one of the headers (Shifter Side). They appear to be ok so far. I am considering pulling the other side just to check. I wanted to check them too. I saw some pictures of other collectors that just broke off when trying to get the pipes removed.

I have a question that you or others may be able to answer. Is there any advantage to painting the headers and the collector box to stall and prevent corrosion? Will it last or would it be a waste of time? Any suggestions for paint if deemed a good idea?
Erdeniz Umman likes this.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2012 Harley Softail Slim
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Response to Mr Magic Fingers

I am still working through the operation of the website. I had to edit.

I am going to look for the product later this week. I think it will come in hand for a few items. The one good thing about doing things at home is getting new tools. I already have new air sockets, pliers... why not get a tub washer. We have a new harbor freight in town now. I will check them out.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2012 Harley Softail Slim

Last edited by TnRickB; 04-12-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Reference original post.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 06:57 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
When rebuilding my bike I did not paint the headers how ever I did paint the collector box with high heat paint.

It has not burn off and there are no rust spots on it. I did several coats with brush on Tremclad brand paint designed for wood stoves.

It dried for about 2 months before it ever got heated up. That was 4 years ago and looks like I put it on last month.

Highly recommended!

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I had not thought about wood stove paint. That might do the trick. I know the collector boxes are no longer available and viable ones are hard to find if you want to use the stock items. The one on my bike is in decent shape (I haven't pulled it off completely yet), but it is at the age that I need to do something that help prevent the corrosion. I think will plan on getting that painted. One more item on the "to do" list.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2012 Harley Softail Slim
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:32 PM

I sand blasted mine with glass medium and gave it a good inspection. It was in great condition. I was very thankful.

I wish there was a Harbour Freight in Maine. It would be worth a drive there to just look around!

Tim

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 PM

As I sit here watching Cold Water Cowboys and reading through this site, I noticed in the flyer pack that came today, a Princess Auto flyer and in it is the parts washer on sale for $60.

Tim

____

Please visit
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 01:09 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRickB View Post
I have pulled both mufflers off and one of the headers (Shifter Side). They appear to be ok so far. I am considering pulling the other side just to check. I wanted to check them too. I saw some pictures of other collectors that just broke off when trying to get the pipes removed.

I have a question that you or others may be able to answer. Is there any advantage to painting the headers and the collector box to stall and prevent corrosion? Will it last or would it be a waste of time? Any suggestions for paint if deemed a good idea?
The reason for the cracks on the collector is, probably the difficulty of removing mufflers or pipes from the chamber due to bad gaskets welded to the parts after some time. Then you will have to move the mufflers or pipes a lot to loosen and remove.

I have painted both the header pipes and the collector with a heat resistant (690 C or 1270 F) black spray paint. I removed the dirt and rust on the parts with a 150 grit sand paper first, then applied the paint directly, not using primer.

Here I want to note that, after painting, the parts should be exposed to heat (160-200 C or 300-400 F) for 1 hour to harden the lacquer coat, according to the instructions on the paint can.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page