2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Refurbishing a 1998 Aspencade

Ok. I wanted something to work on and I wanted to replace my 1992 Aspencade that I owned years ago. I have found both in one bike. I found a 1998 Aspencade with 53,000 miles on it. Body was in good shape and I figured with a little work I could get her going. A "little work" was the operative phrase. I received what I wished for and then some.

I am posting this item to list the things that I have found. I have pictures posted in my album area and will update the pictures as I find fix/repair/find items. I posted the pictures because they are representative of items you should look for (IMO) before purchasing. Do not get me wrong...I am enjoying working on my motorcycle, but parts are getting more difficult to find. The cost adds up quickly. Unfortunately, I also have this irritating drive to make the thing as perfect as possible.

She will definitely be road worthy when I am done and she will look good.

So far I have diagnosed (All problems with the bike found after purchase):

-The Final drive has to be replaced (Started)
-The rear Rotor needs to be replaced (Started)
-Repaired rear caliper due to bolt cross threading (Believe it or not, the boot was on the wrong side of the slide.
-The Carbs will need to be rebuilt (Parts purchased, Not started)
- Removed pin striping I did not like (done. Oven Cleaner works)
-Cleaning chrome to recover from rust and grime (Started)
-Cleaning connectors (Covered with oil on fender)
-Shifter seal (Started)
-Replacement of broken general items (I have half the motorcycle in boxes in the living room)
-Painting of items that had scuffs (heat shields, one mirror, side panel)

Luckily, I am mechanically inclined. Decent anyway. Also, I have used a lot of documentation from this site to diagnose and look for areas of issue. I am new here. Check out my photos, make comments, and get to know my project. You may never know when you will be called upon for that one item I cannot fix. I will be starting the carburetor repair soon. I am learning a lot of stuff and I like it.

Thanks - Rick Burgin

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
1992 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
2012 Harley Softail Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
Good luck on your project. Lots of good people and info on this site to help out.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
If you are going to do that good of a job restoring the bike, it would be to your advantage to install Pepe le Pews Shifter Mod Kit.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15...r_pivot/200181

The purpose of this mod, is to remove all of the slop in the shifter shaft arm that goes thru the seal to the forks. Honda for some reason only supports that shaft at one point, inside the transmission housing.

The shaft can be moved sideways a good bit, and this creates slop in the shifting...

This is a great mod, and lots of folks are really happy with it.
Mr Magic Fingers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

I had looked at that item and watched the videos on the installation. I just haven't made my mind up yet. Betty at Cyclemax gets my money regularly. Good place to do business. I will look at it again.... I have also seen a few other modifications that seem to work but they are not as widely known as the one you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion. I do not want to have to change that $2.25 seal out again. A lot of work and cussing for that price.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2012 Harley Softail Slim
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Model: Slightly less than before.
final drive replaced?

I'm curious why the final drive needed replaced at such low mileage?

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 12:15 PM

Model: 96 GL1500SE
Garage
Looks like you are really giving it a thorough inspection.
I'm sure that you will be well pleased with the results.
Love the progress pictures, keep 'em coming.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

RayJoe -- The need for the replacement of the final drive was nothing more than negligence. The splines had no grease (Moly 77, formerly Moly 60 from my reading). The only thing that lubricated the final drive and the flange was when the bike was ridden in rain. That just cooled it off. I have seen some of the final drives with many more miles with no noticeable wear, but they had regular maintenance. When I pulled the rear wheel to replace the rotor, I was met with a deep red color located on the flange and the final drive. The splines were worn into an "L" shape where they had ground against one another for so long. The flange face, the final drive cover, and the wheel were coated with a great deal of grease. I suspect someone pulled the wheel and used standard bearing grease to lube the splines. It was, literally, slung out and coated everything except what was necessary.

The final drive I found was off a 1997 SE with quite a few miles on it. However, the splines on it were greased and in good shape. I was hoping not to need to replace the final drive, but I want the bike and as close to 100% when it is completed. The only problem I will have is that it will be really clean at that point and I may not want to get it dirty.

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2012 Harley Softail Slim
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
If you are going to do that good of a job restoring the bike, it would be to your advantage to install Pepe le Pews Shifter Mod Kit.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl15...r_pivot/200181

I purchased this a few seasons ago. One of the best things I have done to this bike I think. After replacing the engine because of the 4 gear issue, I did not want the awful shifter design to chew through the new seal I put in.

It took me a few hours and a string of choice words to get this installed in its sweet spot so it would shift properly but when I did... WOW!

The shifts were precise and right on to where they should be. Great product!

The difficulty with installing it was due to my engine guards being a bit out of alignment. When tightening them it would slowly pull the newly installed "device" away just a bit and cause it to bind. Once I knew what was going on, and how much it was pulling, I was able to brace it while tightening it up. Bingo! Cats a$$!

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I was talking with a friend of mine today on the way home. I was telling him about the references to the product. We both had seen it separately. I will end up getting the item especially since it has several good reviews.

Does this item help prevent damage that could occur internally or just prevent the movement of the shifter dislocating and damaging the seal? I was thinking just the seal.

I saw your pictures of your carb cleaning...I hope mine turn out as well once I get to that point. What did you use to clean yours? Did you dip them (berrymans or other)?

-Rick

1989 Kawasaki 454
1987 Honda Super Magna
1984 Kawasaki Voyager
2006 Suzuki Katana 750
2012 Harley Softail Slim
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRICKB View Post
I saw your pictures of your carb cleaning...I hope mine turn out as well once I get to that point. What did you use to clean yours? Did you dip them (berrymans or other)?

Hey Rick,

I have a parts washer tub that I use... the ones that have a pump in them. They come on sale around here at Princess Auto (like your Harbor Freight) every few months for something like $50. Great piece of shop equipment for me.

In any respect, I use this stuff from Walmart. I am sure you could get it just about anywhere. Main ingredient is Sodium Hydroxide. Powerful stuff. It will remove your fingerprints and hair off your hands in short order at full strength without gloves. I personally know. The little skeleton hand on the warning is just about right after about 20 min using this stuff without gloves.

It will dull aluminum if left in too long, 15 min or so. Use your own judgment. I cut it down to 50/50 with water most times. With the mixture constantly running over it and the aid of an old tooth brush, they come out looking like new. Make sure you rinse them off under a running tap of luke warm water for a warm water for a generous amount of time, working all the moving parts. Rinsing is the key. Dry it off with a clean rag and then blow internals out with clean compressed air, again moving them moveable parts.

I use it as an all purpose cleaner around the house. If it will not come off with this stuff, its not coming off. It dissolves grease on contact and cleans engines very well (as you can see in my picture gallery below) with a spray bottle and toothbrush. Don't leave it set too long on engine paint. Keep it off body paint.

I don't use the dips and stuff. Too toxic! Sodium Hydroxide is self neutralizing in the environment... their for a green product which is very important to me.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parts washer.jpg (67.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5434_resize.JPG (185.8 KB, 18 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page