i want to light my bike up like a christmas tree! any suggestions?? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:38 PM

Year: 81
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100i
:HID headlight

Found this and thinking of putting it on my bike.

do a google search on the model below.
Single Beam HID BulbsModel: VVME-HBBSB Starting at: $8.99
$7.19

There are those that ride responsibly, and there are those Mother Nature is trying to weed out of the gene pool...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexDiyTom View Post
Found this and thinking of putting it on my bike.

do a google search on the model below.
Single Beam HID BulbsModel: VVME-HBBSB Starting at: $8.99
$7.19

Those are just the bulbs, you also have to have the ballasts.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Year: 81
Model: GL1100i
Ahhhh... Thanks for the correction.

The ones with ballasts are $36.79

There are those that ride responsibly, and there are those Mother Nature is trying to weed out of the gene pool...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer

Year: 2002
Model: 2002 GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
Garage
Superbrightleds.com is alos making available a universal bar mount system that seems to look like it will work well

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ight-bar/3364/

Currently in the stable
2002 GL1800 Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850 L
Previous Rides & Restorations
1996 GL1500 Aspencade Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade Spectra Red
1980 CX500 Custom Rattle Can Blue
1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 CX500 Standard
1982 CX500 Custom
1983 Suzuki GS650L
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: GL1200 I
hey everyone, ive havent been in this thread in a while as i was doing major repairs, but now that i got that done its time to light up! so DO i need a second fuse box? if so, where do i get it from and how do i attach it? Those 10 and 15w ones seem to do the job well buy i think ill end up going with 35w ones, I would like to start out by getting a pair, one on each crash bar. how would i do this? maybe those universal mounts? two cents please!!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Hey Crimson,

You need to be specific here in what your asking for.

Are you asking for recommendations for headlight replacements?
Are you asking for recommendations for driving lights?
If driving lights, are they more for safety and visibility so others can see you or are they more for nighttime riding and lighting up the road?

Different lights have different purposes and their function do not always cross over well.

Also, where you mount them (driving lights) will make a big difference as far a being noticed, lighting up the road or just being "cool" looking.

If you are adding HID to you bike and replacing the incandescent bulb, then you are actually reducing the demand on your electrical system. HID is not always the desirable way to go. Sometimes, simply replacing the headlight bulbs with quality ones and washing out your the headlight assembly will make a HUGE difference in lighting up the road.

I've been there and done that. Headlights get dimmer with age and really should be replaced after X amount of hours. Also, re-aiming the headlights helps quite a bit... something that not many people take the time to do.

I am a firm believer that driving lights are a "must" for safety. When my son purchased his first bike last winter (KLR 650) and I did a complete teardown, modifications, repair and cleaning of it, I did it with his full understanding that I WAS going to add driving lights to it regardless if he really wanted me to or not. It was nonnegotiable. If he wanted the complete rebuild, he gets the lights.

I am sorry to say that he put on a full season last year without them but I am happy to say that just this past Monday I fabed up a bracket assembly and mounted the LED Driving lights we purchased last winter.

I highly recommend these lights. They are cheap, very high quality and are great at night and spectacularly visible during the day. They compliment his LED headlight very well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-12W-Cree-...pXBtq8&vxp=mtr

This brings me to another point. Halogen lights are basic, have trillions of hours of time tested safety behind them. Going with HID or LED headlights, are introducing "new" technology. They will always have a higher failure rate in/out of the box and during actual use. They do fail at a significantly higher rate and are expensive to purchase and upkeep.

I wanted to make sure that if my son was riding after dark and that new fangled LED bulb failed, he would not die because of it. Imagine driving and in the blink of an eye that your single LED light fails or it's power supply (same as HID)??? Rural driving here is very dark. Having a backup of driving lights on a different circuit IS a life saver.

It is always a great to have any newly installed lighting or electronics installed with it's own wiring and fuse and kept OFF the original wiring of the bike. You don't really need a "fuse panel" for one or two things that you might want to add. Just wire things properly.

You just got your bike on the road... ride it for a while before letting the need to modify it sweep through your mind. That's a hard thing to do though. It's just you may discover some items that need more attention in the next few weeks or months depending on the amount of saddle time and mileage you get on her.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5518_resize.jpg (75.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5534_resize.jpg (73.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5535_resize.jpg (66.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5523_resize.jpg (75.5 KB, 6 views)

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit

Last edited by Mr Magic Fingers; 06-09-2016 at 08:17 AM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 04:30 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
As far as places to mount driving lights on your bike, post a few Clear and Large pictures of your bike front end so we can get a good look.

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 07:34 AM

Year: 84 GL 1200
Model: 84 Aspencade
I like the night pictures of lights lighting up... a car... with just the factory light and then the aftermarket light so we can see the BEFORE and the AFTER pictures of the aftermarket lights, then go from there to see if the cost/time v. benefit is worth it. don't want to go through all kinds of work and then find that the lights are ... nothing special and did NOT justify the cost/BENEFIT of mounting them. there is a line between TASTEFUL and GAUDY, y/n? or... TOO MUCH is NEVER ENOUGH?

WOW, this is SOMETHING... a PARADE all to itself. there has to be a bike in there somewhere...yes? a hovercraft at night. Read abt a commercial pilot that was suing the airline/FAA as their vision was 20/200 (legally blind) without glasses as the FAA would not let her get her pilots license??? but can get a drivers license with vision like that, corrected with glasses. mom could NOT pass the DMV eye test... so she went to the eye dr and he put his mark on the paper that stated that her vision was good enough to drive. DMV honored that and gave her her license every year. fortunately she didn't drive much and hardly at night...till I took the keys from her as it took her 3 tries to get the car turned to get into the driveway, there was nothing wrong with the power steering, the driveway hadn't changed...since the place was built/started living there.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: honda
Model: GL1200 I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Magic Fingers View Post
Hey Crimson,

You need to be specific here in what your asking for.

Are you asking for recommendations for headlight replacements?
Are you asking for recommendations for driving lights?
If driving lights, are they more for safety and visibility so others can see you or are they more for nighttime riding and lighting up the road?

Different lights have different purposes and their function do not always cross over well.

Also, where you mount them (driving lights) will make a big difference as far a being noticed, lighting up the road or just being "cool" looking.

If you are adding HID to you bike and replacing the incandescent bulb, then you are actually reducing the demand on your electrical system. HID is not always the desirable way to go. Sometimes, simply replacing the headlight bulbs with quality ones and washing out your the headlight assembly will make a HUGE difference in lighting up the road.

I've been there and done that. Headlights get dimmer with age and really should be replaced after X amount of hours. Also, re-aiming the headlights helps quite a bit... something that not many people take the time to do.

I am a firm believer that driving lights are a "must" for safety. When my son purchased his first bike last winter (KLR 650) and I did a complete teardown, modifications, repair and cleaning of it, I did it with his full understanding that I WAS going to add driving lights to it regardless if he really wanted me to or not. It was nonnegotiable. If he wanted the complete rebuild, he gets the lights.

I am sorry to say that he put on a full season last year without them but I am happy to say that just this past Monday I fabed up a bracket assembly and mounted the LED Driving lights we purchased last winter.

I highly recommend these lights. They are cheap, very high quality and are great at night and spectacularly visible during the day. They compliment his LED headlight very well.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-12W-Cree-...pXBtq8&vxp=mtr

This brings me to another point. Halogen lights are basic, have trillions of hours of time tested safety behind them. Going with HID or LED headlights, are introducing "new" technology. They will always have a higher failure rate in/out of the box and during actual use. They do fail at a significantly higher rate and are expensive to purchase and upkeep.

I wanted to make sure that if my son was riding after dark and that new fangled LED bulb failed, he would not die because of it. Imagine driving and in the blink of an eye that your single LED light fails or it's power supply (same as HID)??? Rural driving here is very dark. Having a backup of driving lights on a different circuit IS a life saver.

It is always a great to have any newly installed lighting or electronics installed with it's own wiring and fuse and kept OFF the original wiring of the bike. You don't really need a "fuse panel" for one or two things that you might want to add. Just wire things properly.

You just got your bike on the road... ride it for a while before letting the need to modify it sweep through your mind. That's a hard thing to do though. It's just you may discover some items that need more attention in the next few weeks or months depending on the amount of saddle time and mileage you get on her.

Tim
hey tim, i didnt want to replace the headlights, just add some driving light on the crash bars specifically(i feel like i will be noticed by on coming traffic placing them there.). the pictures you have below look pretty awesome! i was thinking something like that. I want to use them mainly for seeing at night. as of now, I cant see very much at night at all, and that is a huuuuge safety concern as you already know from what you have been telling me hahaha. I understand that i shouldnt be rushing to be doing "mods", but this is simply a reqirement! i shouldnt even be riding at night right now to be honest. so would i see a big difference between 12w and 35 w? If i dont need another fusebox, where do i wire it too exactly? is it a difficult or time consuming procedure?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:24 PM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Myers View Post
I like the night pictures of lights lighting up... a car... with just the factory light and then the aftermarket light so we can see the BEFORE and the AFTER pictures of the aftermarket lights, then go from there to see if the cost/time v. benefit is worth it. don't want to go through all kinds of work and then find that the lights are ... nothing special and did NOT justify the cost/BENEFIT of mounting them. there is a line between TASTEFUL and GAUDY, y/n? or... TOO MUCH is NEVER ENOUGH?

WOW, this is SOMETHING... a PARADE all to itself. there has to be a bike in there somewhere...yes? a hovercraft at night. Read abt a commercial pilot that was suing the airline/FAA as their vision was 20/200 (legally blind) without glasses as the FAA would not let her get her pilots license??? but can get a drivers license with vision like that, corrected with glasses. mom could NOT pass the DMV eye test... so she went to the eye dr and he put his mark on the paper that stated that her vision was good enough to drive. DMV honored that and gave her her license every year. fortunately she didn't drive much and hardly at night...till I took the keys from her as it took her 3 tries to get the car turned to get into the driveway, there was nothing wrong with the power steering, the driveway hadn't changed...since the place was built/started living there.
I cant imagine how he changes the rear tire.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page