New fork seals - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rgmr250
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tomsh2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK
Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 Pearl White
Posts: 134
Garage
New fork seals

I was doing the walk around on my wing today and noticed that the front fork seal on the port side is leaking. I suppose this would be a great time to upgrade to progressive springs? Please provide your insight. Is it worth it? How much improvement over stock.
I did watch the video and it looks pretty straightforward...

“The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.” – German Proverb

"It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes." - Andrew Jackson

Golden Shellback, a person who has crossed the Equator at the 180th meridian (International Date Line).

Current Rides
2008 GL1800
82 Honda XR500R
*RIP*
2006 C50T
79 Honda CX500C
tomsh2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:44 PM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,079
Garage
It's pretty straight forward and easy on the front but I wouldn't do the front without also the rear, which is harder.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Dannyboy1949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medford, Oregon
Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
Posts: 1,339
Most fork leaks (at least 75% of the time) can be fixed using this product. Worked for me on two different bikes, including my 1500. Or you can make your own from a soft drink bottle. Google it and you can watch video as to how the "tool" is used.




Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The journey IS the destination .
Dannyboy1949 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
tomsh2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK
Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 Pearl White
Posts: 134
Garage
Well I guess I will have to research the rear also and find out if this is within my budget right now. We have a trip planned for the first week in June. I am trying to justify it with it being a huge difference vs stock ride.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

“The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.” – German Proverb

"It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes." - Andrew Jackson

Golden Shellback, a person who has crossed the Equator at the 180th meridian (International Date Line).

Current Rides
2008 GL1800
82 Honda XR500R
*RIP*
2006 C50T
79 Honda CX500C
tomsh2012 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:17 AM
Member
 
rgmr250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsh2012 View Post
Well I guess I will have to research the rear also and find out if this is within my budget right now. We have a trip planned for the first week in June. I am trying to justify it with it being a huge difference vs stock ride.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk
I put the progressive 416's in the rear of my 97, and it made a noticeable difference. I later went with Race Tech springs for the front, but I think I need to add some more preload (Race Tech includes a piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe as a spacer - you cut it to the right length to put the correct amount of preload - mine has more static sag than I like, so I'll probably bump up the preload with a longer spacer.) I can't really comment much on the front, since I think I don't have it setup optimally, but as it is, it's definitely better than stock.

I'd say if you're doing fork seals, you might as well do the springs at the same time, but as Dave mentioned, you won't get the full appreciation for the front unless the rear is done as well. The rears are about $400 (USD), whereas the front springs are about $115. When I did my seals, I did the bushings as well - not much more $ while you're in there.

On the progressive front springs, I don't have personal experience (since I went with Race Tech) with them, but I've heard there's more preload than stock and it's very difficult to get the fork caps back on with the progressives unless you have the special tool (or make one, there's a few threads on making your own tool on the forum.)
tomsh2012 likes this.

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
rgmr250 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
tomsh2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK
Year: 2008
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 Pearl White
Posts: 134
Garage
Thank you for the great information! I will research this tool now. That was a big detail that I was hoping to solve prior to doing the job.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

“The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.” – German Proverb

"It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes." - Andrew Jackson

Golden Shellback, a person who has crossed the Equator at the 180th meridian (International Date Line).

Current Rides
2008 GL1800
82 Honda XR500R
*RIP*
2006 C50T
79 Honda CX500C
tomsh2012 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:34 AM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,079
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmr250 View Post
I put the progressive 416's in the rear of my 97, and it made a noticeable difference. I later went with Race Tech springs for the front, but I think I need to add some more preload (Race Tech includes a piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe as a spacer - you cut it to the right length to put the correct amount of preload - mine has more static sag than I like, so I'll probably bump up the preload with a longer spacer.) I can't really comment much on the front, since I think I don't have it setup optimally, but as it is, it's definitely better than stock.

I'd say if you're doing fork seals, you might as well do the springs at the same time, but as Dave mentioned, you won't get the full appreciation for the front unless the rear is done as well. The rears are about $400 (USD), whereas the front springs are about $115. When I did my seals, I did the bushings as well - not much more $ while you're in there.

On the progressive front springs, I don't have personal experience (since I went with Race Tech) with them, but I've heard there's more preload than stock and it's very difficult to get the fork caps back on with the progressives unless you have the special tool (or make one, there's a few threads on making your own tool on the forum.)
Not much the same on a 1500. The rear of an 1800 has only 1 shock and a new spring is pretty inexpensive but you need a tool to change it, which I have. The front springs are not like a 1500, I can hold the fork tube in 1 hand and put the cap on with the other, no special tool needed.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Member
 
rgmr250's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Not much the same on a 1500. The rear of an 1800 has only 1 shock and a new spring is pretty inexpensive but you need a tool to change it, which I have. The front springs are not like a 1500, I can hold the fork tube in 1 hand and put the cap on with the other, no special tool needed.
Yup, sorry for the misinformation, I didn't notice his bike model before I posted.

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
rgmr250 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: All Roads Lead To Yosemite, CA.
Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Posts: 4,568
Im glad it was someone besides me!
Aloha Tom is offline  
Closed Thread

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
81 GL1100 Fork Seals Leaking a little oil. Are Seals Shot? Frank5839 Goldwing Technical Forum 7 03-08-2016 07:21 AM
GL1800 Fork Seals, Fork Oil or Bearings? Rob94 Goldwing Technical Forum 5 02-18-2014 07:49 PM
fork seals actionpack Goldwing Technical Forum 5 05-22-2009 03:16 AM
Fork seals, dustcaps, fork oil ,or ATF GL1200 A muaymendez1 Goldwing Technical Forum 4 08-25-2008 06:49 AM
Fork Seals leazertime Goldwing Technical Forum 1 04-08-2008 09:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome