WTF Carbs???? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1988
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1500
WTF Carbs????

Please please excuse the crappy wording. At this point, I'm frustrated, had a horrid week, and my mechanic is up in Wisc. with some family issues. So the bike is still down and my stress is WAY overpowering my PTSD meds the VA has me on, so my verbage sucks.

DJ for MMO-Radio.org, Star Trek Super Guru, Veteran, 1st Cavalry Division, All Around Pain in the Arse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:15 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Kind of acts like the exhaust is plugged or the cam timing is off.
I have a set of 93 carbs, but I don't know what it takes to make them work on an 88.
PM sent

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
With one slide inoperable you are essentially running on half an engine with throttle opened wide and are drowning the other half, I would not be too concerned at the moment about the spitting.

The vacuum hose goes to a thermostatic bi-metal strip which opens and closes the hot air door for intake air. Whenever work is being performed requiring air box removal and engine running that hose should be plugged.

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Like DriverRider said, with one vacuum piston not moving, it's not going to operate correctly, which might cause the fuel spitting issue. Here's a quick test - throttle up like you were, but then using your finger, carefully move the left vacuum piston to about the same position as the right one and see if the fuel spitting stops. If it does, you know it's not really a 'problem' - once the left piston/diaphragm is fixed, that problem should go away.

Re the left vacuum piston/diaphragm - as others have said, since it was just rebuild, the diaphragm may not have seated fully - it's less likely that it's torn (my first reply I didn't know the history, but it sounds like you recently had the carb rebuilt.) You might find that it's just not seated right and getting it re-seated might fix that problem. Some people soak the diaphragm in hot water for a minute and say that makes it easier to get it to seat properly. If you've got it this far, and your mechanic is away, you might want to try pulling the carb and looking at the left diaphragm.

Re the fuel leak - you'll likely need to get the carbs off to figure that out considering where it's coming from - if you pull the carbs to check the left diaphragm, you can inspect the fuel hoses under there while you're at it.

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page