6Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Well I checked the 3 yellow wires tonight, the female plug was burnt a little so I took the plug out and repaired the wires. I tested the wires to see if there was continuity between them like the post said, but there was continuity from the wires to ground. So does this mean the stater is bad. The spades sticking out of the solenoid were the plug with the 3 wires in is loose in the housing it is sticking out of. What else should I do, I checked to see what the voltage was at batt. and it was under 12v. ??
mowerdoc likes this.

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
If any of the yellow wires that go to the stator has continuity to ground when the plug is disconnected the stator is toast.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Just for your information, replacing the stator is much less expensive and, in my opinion, easier than cutting up and compromising the bike.
BrianInPA and JeffMayfield like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Large Member

Year: 2000
Model: SE
Garage
+1 What Dennis said....
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/...ZIb25HTDEyMDBJ

I'd get the reg/reg also

After market is the only way to go OEM stators are not available.

I'm not necessarily recommending ricks but I've heard they are good.

You should be able to do the whole job for under $400 unless you repaint the engine while your at it.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfirefighter View Post
Well I checked the 3 yellow wires tonight, the female plug was burnt a little so I took the plug out and repaired the wires. I tested the wires to see if there was continuity between them like the post said, but there was continuity from the wires to ground. So does this mean the stater is bad. The spades sticking out of the solenoid were the plug with the 3 wires in is loose in the housing it is sticking out of. What else should I do, I checked to see what the voltage was at batt. and it was under 12v. ??

I am confused in what you are trying to say.

I understand that the yellow wired that came out of the stator and went into a plug. That plug was melted/burnt a bit so you removed the plug and "hard wired" yellow wires together.

QUESTION: When did you test the wires to the stator? They should have been tested AFTER you removed the plug but BEFORE you hard wired anything.

Is this what you did?

If you tested them after (before insulating the joints) then your measurement and testing will be off because the other end of the 3 yellow wires would (presumably) still be plugged into the rectifier/regulator.

If that is the case, then get access to the R/R and unplug the yellow wires from there and retest.

I am not sure what you were trying to communicate with the sentence I highlighted in bold.

Don't come to any conclusions yet!

Tim

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Ok let me try this again, the yellow wires coming out of the stater going into the plug on the left of the batt. was cut out of the plug. I check each wire to ground all three had continuity. But I went ahead and spiced the wires together like it said. Then I checked the solenoid on the right side of the batt. the 4 spades sticking out of the solenoid were all gunky so I took it apart and cleaned the plug. I noticed that the spades sticking out of the solenoid were loose, so I don't know if that would hurt anything it still starts good. One of the guys said if any of the wires had continuity the stater was bad, and all three had continuity so i guess it is bad. Now I do not want to pull the motor out of the bike, so I am going to do the poor boy deal.
If I have over looked anything please let me know, I am going to start getting thing for the conversion. Thanks.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I don't get it. Your mind seems to be made up.

How likely is it that all three legs of a stator would be shorted? I question the testing and wonder if you've tested the rectifier.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
How likely is it that all three legs of a stator would be shorted? I question the testing and wonder if you've tested the rectifier.
As the three legs are connected in the centre if one is shorted to ground they all are.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What dont you get you all are the ones that told me that if any of the yellow wires had continuity the stater was bad, and what do you mean you question the testing I was using a fluke multi meter what else could I use. That is why I am here your telling me what to try then you question my test that you tell me to do. ?? .

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page