2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Poor Boy add on

Well after a long long decision on what to due and watching and reading up on the stater change I have made the decision to put a alt. on my bike. I would love to put the stater in but just can't due to the time and room to pull the engine. I am not quite sure about the little wire out of the alt. Does it go the the ignition terminal ? I know the big one goes to the batt. I found a one wire 70amp Denso Mini alt. for $99 thanks. MCFF

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk

Year: 1983
Model: GL1100
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Wilcoy02
The wire needs to be attached on any circuit that is live when the key is turned on.
That is your exciter wire to tell the alt to start working. Do NOT hook it to a line that is always alive-like your clock. If you do it will drain your battery. I plugged mine on the plug for the stator.
Best thing I did for my wing is putting the alt on it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Impersonating a mechanic

Year: 1982 & 1985
Model: 82 GL1100-I PA/85 GL1200-A ID
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfirefighter View Post
. I am not quite sure about the little wire out of the alt. Does it go the the ignition terminal ? I know the big one goes to the batt. I found a one wire 70amp Denso Mini alt. for $99 thanks. MCFF

I think most people put the exciter wire on the accessory terminal in the fuse box. That's what I did too.

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 05:18 AM

Year: 1984
Model: Interstate
Ditto Wilcoy02,

I installed my Poorboy 3 years ago, by far the best upgrade you can do to a 1200.
Not one electrical issue since installed. I installed my exciter wire in the plug where the regulator was removed.
Just turn your key on and find the wire with a test light.

Ride Safe,
Goodoni
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Pully for crank

I got my alt. yesterday now I need to find a pulley to drive the alt. can anyone tell me were to get a pully and what size I need to get and bolt size thanks so much. MCFF

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Year: 1986
Model: Aspencade, 86000 miles
Garage
What kind of pulley is on the alternator? Did you get the one wire Denso or what?

What I put on mine was the one wire mini Denso, and it comes with a vbelt pulley. What I found is the largest pulley you can use, and still have the inner cover bolt pass, is 2.65 inch pulley. I just used a 2.65 inch alternator pulley for the drive pulley and raised the idle to 1200 rpm.

Some say a drive pulley that size is not large enough, but so far it has been adequate as I don't live in the city and sit around idling much. As I remember the Denso mini one wire's charge cuts in at 1200 rpm, and continues charging until it is stopped turning. I think Don Piggot used to use a 1:00 to 1:00 ratio, and later switched to a larger drive pulley to make it charge at idle.

I don't remember the bolt size myself, but you can just take the bolt to with you to get a longer one.
Hope some of this helps. In doing it without buying the kit is far cheaper, but not easier to do.

I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
-Bill Cosby-
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 01:44 PM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
the black wire on the mc side of the regulator connector can be used and its already fused

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 PM

Model: 1985 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodoni View Post
Ditto Wilcoy02,

I installed my Poorboy 3 years ago, by far the best upgrade you can do to a 1200.
Not one electrical issue since installed. I installed my exciter wire in the plug where the regulator was removed.
Just turn your key on and find the wire with a test light.

Ride Safe,
Goodoni
I wired my alternator the same way nine years ago , best thing you can do to old goldwing,

I want ride Tire Joe
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 PM
big PIA

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
I have a question about the poor boy, do you need to get different radiator hoses? And what get used for spacer between pulley and crank?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 12:41 AM
Just Winging It

Year: 1986
Make: GL1200I
Model: GL1200I 1986
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFirefighter View Post
Well after a long long decision on what to due and watching and reading up on the stater change I have made the decision to put a alt. on my bike. I would love to put the stater in but just can't due to the time and room to pull the engine.
From everything I've read over the years it takes more work, time, and money to install a poorboy than to replace both the stator and rectifier.

A stator was changed a couple years ago.

The guys first time pulling the engine he rented a storage unit and did the job in 8 hours. Cost him between $300 & $400 for everything IIRC.

The engine is relatively easy to remove. I thought it would be harder until I did it on my parts bike. My stator is still limping along but I bought an OEM stator and rectifier for under $120 on ebay (separately $60 for the stator and $55 for the reg/rec) so it will cost me less when the time comes.

Hope all goes well with your project.

I would think it would give the bike more power if you remove the stator you are not using. Just my 2 cents.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page