Won't Start After Battery Replacement - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Won't Start After Battery Replacement

I have a 1997 1500 SE Goldwing. The battery that was in the bike went dead and was like that for some time before I replaced it. I charged the new battery and put it in, I went to start the engine and it would not turn over. I noticed when I turn on the ignition switch all the lights on the dash come on except the Neutral Light. Every thing on the bike works except t he neutral light and won't start..

I made sure that the transmission was in neutral and the rear wheel spun free..

Does any one might know what the problem might be??

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Check the 5-amp start/reverse fuse.

It powers the reverse lever switch.

The reverse lever switch (when the reverse handle is down) powers the following:

1. Neutral light bulb. (Not part of the starting circuit)........!!

2. Triggers the reverse relay switch (which provides a ground to trigger the starter relay (solenoid) A for starting. (Part of the starting circuit)

Have you tried working the reverse lever up and down a few times...?? Maybe the switch is stuck...!

Have you tried starting it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in to the hand grip....??
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Check the 5-amp start/reverse fuse.

It powers the reverse lever switch.

The reverse lever switch (when the reverse handle is down) powers the following:

1. Neutral light bulb. (Not part of the starting circuit)........!!

2. Triggers the reverse relay switch (which provides a ground to trigger the starter relay (solenoid) A for starting. (Part of the starting circuit)

Have you tried working the reverse lever up and down a few times...?? Maybe the switch is stuck...!

Have you tried starting it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in to the hand grip....??
I moved the reverse lever up and down and it didn't work. I have also sat on the bike and put it in gear and pulled the clutch in and it still won't turn over.. I noticed last night when pushing the starter switch there was a clicking sound coming from the box that sits next to the main fuse box on the left hand side right in front of the saddle bag, but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off..

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
time to ask the group for help- who has a tech manual for the OP? 97 1500 SE

Also ck youtube- there are numerous Wing repair vids showing how to remove covers
and www.goldwingdocs.com has lots of helpful pics on most jobs
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:01 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
First, welcome to the forum.

DBohrer is probably right on the money. He often is.
But just for grins, have you checked the kill switch? Maybe the light and starting are 2 different issues.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 PM

No Neutral Light

Did you check the # 9 start/reverse 5-amp fuse like I recommended...,??

If so and it was good,

Remove the seat,

Locate the Red 22-pin connector (with 22 wires) at the right rear side (might be in a black plastic case).

With the reverse lever down,

Check for voltage on the Black/White wire. Should have voltage.

With the reverse lever up,

Check for voltage on the White/Blue wire. Should have voltage.

If voltage on these two wires the reverse lever switch is good. You have power to the neutral light bulb and the reverse diode assembly.

Note: This is a much easier way to check the reverse lever switch compared to removing the left fairing inner cover........!!

Let me know what you find at this point and we can go from there (if necessary).

PS: You don't need to get in to the relay box.....!

I suspect the clicking you heard (when pressing the starter switch) was coming from the starter relay A located to the right of the battery. Sometimes sounds can appear in one location and be in another. This indicates to me your starter switch is probably working good........!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex772 View Post
I moved the reverse lever up and down and it didn't work. I have also sat on the bike and put it in gear and pulled the clutch in and it still won't turn over.. I noticed last night when pushing the starter switch there was a clicking sound coming from the box that sits next to the main fuse box on the left hand side right in front of the saddle bag, but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off..

Mike
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:39 PM

The kill switch is in the ignition circuit. I believe his issue is in the starting circuit.

If the cruise "ON" light in the instrument cluster illuminates when the cruise switch is turned on, the Kill switch is good.

The neutral light is not part of the starting circuit. However, if the neutral light bulb is good (and associated connections are good) and the light is not illuminated, that can indicate there is no power to the reverse relay switch (which is part of the starting circuit).

If the neutral light bulb was burned out but all else was good, the starting system would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
First, welcome to the forum.

DBohrer is probably right on the money. He often is.
But just for grins, have you checked the kill switch? Maybe the light and starting are 2 different issues.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
The kill switch is in the ignition circuit. I believe his issue is in the starting circuit.
I thought that the kill switch on the later 1500's also killed the start circuit.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 PM

It does disable the starting after around 1994 but the basis function for the kill switch is to provide voltage to the ECM and three ignition coils.

I will still maintain its in the ignition circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
I thought that the kill switch on the later 1500's also killed the start circuit.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
I will still maintain its in the ignition circuit.
But you're not there so these basic questions still need to be asked.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page