1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: 1990 GL1500
removing relay # 3

I was out for a ride a few days ago... after a stop,,, my scoot would not start... No headlight some of the front instrument lights did not work... Left side in general... After getting scoot home,,, got it started and put it in the garage... Tried to restart it and not go... Same problem...
I did some research and found out it was the 3rd relay that was giving me problems... I took off the left side cover and took the cover off the fuses to check them again... all OK... The article mention relays to the right of the fuse panel... I unbolted the fuse strip and tried to get the cover off... Hard but I got it off and walla,,, a bunch of relays... found # 3 but how do you get the relays out... Do you have to take the left side box off to get them out???
any tricks to easy removal???
Thanks in advance...
Russ

Bodasefus aka Russ Lawrence

Some days the Dog,,,
Some days the Hydrant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
If you can fit your hand in the space and grasp the relay you should be able to extract it. You can also unloosen the bag to give you more room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Usually the only real fix is to replace the receptacle the relay plugs to,Dave4030 sent me a good one to repair mine,left like it is it gets worse,the plug is melted.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
The #3 relay did not cause it not to start.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:15 PM

I think Dave is wrong- the #3 relay causes all the problems you have. If the bike is already running, the headlight goes off, gauges go off, and once you turn off the engine the bike will not start. You can roll start it, but the starter motor will not work. The relay itself may be defective, but most likely it is the connections, which may be melted and failing. You may indeed have to loosen or remove the left saddlebag to get good access
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:22 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Dave is correct. Relay #6 is required to run the starter and the ignition system. Not relay #3. See below. When you say no headlights is that all the time or do they go out when you push the start button? That is normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (70.2 KB, 14 views)
DBohrer likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

When I turn the switch to the on position, I have no headlight and the left side of the instrument panel is off... no neutral light ect... When I was checking the fuses, the 4th from the bottom was out a little ways,,, I reseated the fuse and it started and all looked normal... I backed the bike in the garage and shut it off... Then I moved the car and trailer and went back to the bike... It had no headlight and would not start... I came to the forum and searched and found the 3rd relay problem which matched my problem exactly... I opened the left panel and saw the relay box and unbolted the fuse panel and finally got the cover off...
This is where I left it... I will attempt to remove the relay # 3...

Some days the Dog,,,
Some days the Hydrant...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodasefus View Post
When I turn the switch to the on position, I have no headlight and the left side of the instrument panel is off... no neutral light ect... When I was checking the fuses, the 4th from the bottom was out a little ways,,, I reseated the fuse and it started and all looked normal... I backed the bike in the garage and shut it off... Then I moved the car and trailer and went back to the bike... It had no headlight and would not start... I came to the forum and searched and found the 3rd relay problem which matched my problem exactly... I opened the left panel and saw the relay box and unbolted the fuse panel and finally got the cover off...
If the starter does not crank when you try to start it the problem is not going to be the #3 relay unless you have 2 problems.. Not likely.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodasefus View Post
When you say "would not start" do you mean it cranked but not started or it would not crank (starter turns but engine will not run)?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I got the whole panel out and changed the relay... took the back off and no burnt wires... got it back together and it fired right up... Fricking relay... but thanks for everyones help... It is a nice feeling that I have friends out there that I have not even met... Oh well,,, another day... Going to take a test ride out to LaBelle to see if all OK... I will renew my tags while I am there and then stop at the Log Cabin BBQ restaurant for some good BBQ...
Thanks for all the help and advice...
Russ

Some days the Dog,,,
Some days the Hydrant...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page