Timing Belt - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Model: 86 GL12 SEi
Garage
Timing Belt

I have a bike that is 30 years old with only 13,000 miles on it and everything is original. Just last year I replaced tires, that's it. Tires, when I replaced it, they were not in too bad shape. I am sure with 30 years of time, made the rubber brittle but it wasn't bad.

I think I know the answer to the last question but just wanted to hear opinion of other experts:
Q1: Is the 1200GL interference type engine?
Q3: Is there a way to peek at the belt to see what condition it is in?
Q2: Is the belt replacement needed?

-- Mike
86' SE-i GL1200, 14,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:05 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
1. Yes
2. Take off the covers on the front of the engine and the belts are there to look at.
3. Change the belts, or change the engine when the old belts break. I would change the belts - they are a lot cheaper and easier to find.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Large Member

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: SE
Garage
what he said. They're cheap enough and well worth the insurance. Yes it is an interference engine so if the belt snaps, you're done.. Just do it.
Belts to use from the DIY tutorial: Gates also supply the T070. You also have Quinton Hazell QTB142, Napa 250070, Dayco 95070, ADT37501 and some lesser known brands.
Same belt as Honda but way cheaper available any parts store. Plan an afternoon, then feel relieved.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!

Last edited by wilmo; 06-03-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added belt numbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Make it simple. Mark your timing gears well and Lock down your timing pullys. I used vise grips on mine. Don't tighten the grips too tight but only enough to hold them in place. If either pulleys move any make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Model: 1998 Goldwing SE; and a few other project bikes
yes... what they all said: the belts are relatively cheap and not that hard if you have basic mechanical skills. When I have done this in the past I also replace the radiator hoses. To me the biggest pain in this repair is pulling the radiator - which gives you a good reason to replace the hoses and put in new coolant.

Even though it has few miles you can bet that those belts need replacement. I have seen some UGLY belts on older bikes....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK I've decided to change timing belts. I ordered the belts on-line and it is on its way. I've search through on how-to information and I think I can manage.... However, I have two questions in the process of replacing belts.

Q1: When the water pump is loosen to drain out the coolant, do I need to put a new gasket in the place, at least?

Q2: I have GL1200 and it is 86 SEi (or same as 85 Limited). It seems that the timing mark inspection cap has a hose attached at the top (or it it something else?). Do I just remove the hose then screw off the cap? How does the cap come off on these model of GL1200? I have GoldWing Service manual and could not find this information. Anyone has done the work, I would appreciate the input.

-- Mike
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
never had any luck seeing that timing mark thru the cap,with all plugs out of engine i just turn engine over using a wrench on the crank holding my finger over the #1 cylinder,when you feel pressure you are on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder,then gently turn engine till all marks line up and you are on top dead center,now follow the videos for timing belt replacement

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoracer View Post
never had any luck seeing that timing mark thru the cap,with all plugs out of engine i just turn engine over using a wrench on the crank holding my finger over the #1 cylinder,when you feel pressure you are on the compression stroke of the #1 cylinder,then gently turn engine till all marks line up and you are on top dead center,now follow the videos for timing belt replacement
If you've done it numerous time and know exactly what you are doing, I would say you are fine. But for me, the first timer, I would like to go through a recommended step by step. It is too risky, in my opinion.

Do you have trouble getting the cap open or is it that even with the cap open, it is hard to see the marking? Why do not check the crank shaft TDC through the opening? Or may be you are just comfortable using the #1 cylinder, feeling the pressure. Even if you have a one notch off on the timing belt, you are in trouble... That is too risky...

-- Mike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 04:50 PM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
try getting it up by my method 4 or 5 times and see if you come up the same each time,alot of times the marks wont be exactly same anyway due to belt stretch etc,but anything within one tooth will not hurt,more than 2 probably yes

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:38 PM

Model: 2 1985 1200 LTD's, 1979 GL1000
Last fall I decided to put new belts on my GL1200LTDs. I ordered the Dayco belts overnight from Autozone. When I got the belts did not like the looks of them, compared to the Honda or the Gates belts I've been using on my other bikes. I put them on anyway since I had them but frankly I've been worried about them ever since. They actually looked inferior just holding them in my hand. I don't like to put down someone's product but I can't wait to change them.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page