9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Anti-Guru

Model: '06 GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj5iveo View Post
2006 GL1800 48K miles. Stored the bike with fuel additive. At least two tanks through the bike now. Some minor hesitation on initial accleration when cold. After that, runs like a GL should. USed Techron last year. Not much noticeable difference. Any other cleaners out there that might display more favorable results?

Thank

TJ
Just for discussion's sake, how old are your plugs? Often see older rounded or kinda 'wide-gap' plugs causing little annoyances when running in the static fuel maps ... Just sayin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 09:44 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I didn't start it but I do use it, does seem to make it run smoother. Don't know if it would actually clean the injectors but IMO it can't hurt. That is TCW3 outboard oil, 1 oz to 5 gal.
You are probably right about the slow O2 sensors.
Dave,
Is there an advantage for carbureted engines as well?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Dave,
Is there an advantage for carbureted engines as well?
Most definately.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
2 stroke oil is designed to be a pass thru piston ring lubricant mixed with the fuel...ahhh memories of the days of youth and good knees.... and riding dirt bikes.

Whats wrong with using a product intended for specific cleaning job(s)
I like BG44 too, let me be fair to them.
Their `car method` does a slow drip to the vac port for about 20-30 minutes, throw a can in the gas tank and a can in the oil just before next change.

When you do a vac port method its critical the engine is warm, add product, let it sit 10 minutes (so it doesnt lose heat) to soak in/percolate,
then go for a fun run- some blow out the gunk runs and high throttle settings.
Smoke will exit the exhaust (also great for finding mystery exhaust leaks) when you use the vac port and heavy dosing.
Its way more productive/effective to add thru the gas over a longer time for maximum results per dollar aka value for money for our Australian members
That smoke comes with whatever oils you choose = reacting to heat in the exhaust, and cat (1800s)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Banned

For carbs its the same: use thru gas for 15-20 gallons for 1st time users or problems

Older models with ez-access air filters can get seafoam in aerosol version or use a spray bottle of your own, direct spray into the carbs so the slides etc get clean and lubed too.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:52 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800p
Garage
I've always have used Sea foam. I have run it in my Harley's for years in both the oil and gas. I plan on using it on the Wing also. As a matter of fact I just did the first oil change on it and added it to the oil 300 miles before oil change. I run it through the gas every 6 or 7 fill ups. The guy who was talking about 02 sensors getting slow with age is correct. They get a buildup of carbon and other crap on them and they take longer to read. Not a bad thing to change them out 50 to 60 thousand miles or so as what they read has a direct relation on how your bike runs. This might not be your problem though as you state it happens while cold. It should be running a map while cold and when warmed up switch over to the 02 sensor reading. Mine is a 06 also with 44000 miles on it and I have no issues with cold running. I am a old Harley guy so I am in the habit of always letting my bike warm up before I ride it. You might try that and see if you make out better. just let it warm up a couple of minutes. Can't hurt. Aside from checking plugs and wires, and when was the last air cleaner change? Could be anything.
Aloha Tom likes this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Garage
Some manufacturers suggest not to use any fuel additives, due to the possibility of damage to rubber fuel lines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Banned

There is no such warning I am aware of on the Wing.
Vehicles made in the last 40 years should be fine... with that good post-1960 rubber fuel line technology.

Per seafoams head tech guy Jim D. the cleaning dose of 2 oz per gal is the max you should use-
more does not increase its potency or speed, while less than 3/4 of an ounce per gal fuel = is less than a maintenance dose,,not really working!
1oz per gal in those semi-annual maintenance dose thru 1 or 2 tanks.

Many like to use it once a month or two = high mileage riders staying ahead of the E10 issues.

Its interesting to look inside the engine thru the spark plug holes after treatment, a clean shiny piston top
You all know our engine is an interference type, so there are detents in the piston top for valve clearance.
If sufficient layers of carbon and E10 unburnt combustion byproduct build up and burn onto the piston, it can eventually cause its own interference
(worst case scenarios) or raise the compression enough to blow a head gasket!
Possible answer to some older bikes with mystery cause of head gasket failure? increased compression...
there has been mention of lots of scraping and cleaner required on cylinder heads that might be the reason - for those without bad water pumps.
At minimum the crud does not allow for efficient combustion. Clean surfaces makes for a solid fuel ignition pattern.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:02 PM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800p
Garage
Well I'll go with you to having carbon buildup on the pistons and valves. Where you leave me is on the compression point you are making. I've built many high compression Harley's over the years, way over stock, using stock head and base gaskets and have never blown one. I have had base gaskets start leaking on bikes sitting for long periods, like years when I was up the river, but have never blown a gasket over compression. You would have to have a massive amounts of buildup to cause that kind of compression increase. I will agree that a clean engine is a happy engine.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Banned

Harleys are not Honda GoldWing engines. Direct from my 86 Shadow 1100 Vtwin manual, Frequent use of a decarbonizer is required
to prevent the excess compression issue. Honda sells the seafoam sized can of Decarbonizer for ~$10-12

Wouldnt really take much to raise it from a mild-mannered 87 octane sipping, 9 to 1 compression. --- to 12 to 1,
a force those gaskets were never made to take.

Its a real concern, and a possible reason for the older 80s bikes to have an otherwise unexplained HG failure-
as we have been seeing recently

I guess my point is use Tier 1 quality fuel (has 2 times the govt min required in all fuel) in 87 octane for maximum combustion in time with the engines design, run a good fuel cleaner of your choice at its listed max amount- Example Lucas says treats 8 to 25 gal, treat 8 with it.
Do that 2-3 times a year and your Wing will thank you every ride
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page