Just a Helpful Tip - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Just a Helpful Tip

If folks would research and identify items controlled by the "30-amp" and the "55-amp" fuses, it would greatly assist them when helping diagnose electrical issues.

I have a list on my computer of such items for both fuses and it is quite beneficial (can you say time saving) when diagnosing electrical issues.

It can save a lot of time and confusion (not to mention long and drawn out posts many times to resolve a simple issue).

You wouldn't believe how many times I see folks recommending "check this...check that...check the other" and it has no relation to the issue (other than wasting someones time "and in some cases money").

Yes, I have seen folks recommending replacing parts that had no relationship to the issue.

My rant is over............!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:48 AM

Model: Slightly less than before.
rant thread??

Is this a rant thread?

Oh boy, here goes!

Do not pull the heads because the bike idles rough. It's the CARBS!

Do not spray anything around the sides of buttons to release sticking switches. You need to split the housing to clean the switch.

Do not pre-load the shifter. You do not do it in cars!

Buying some POS that needs work will never save you money.

Whew! What's that dear? Time to take my meds, OK.All better!

Rayjoe

BTW I like DBohrer idea about fuses.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
So folks having trouble should PM you first ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:57 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
RE: Rant Thread

If just a little bit of attention were paid to reasonable sentence structure, grammar, and spelling in some of the posts, it would help immensely. I am amazed when I see an entire post, with 25 apparent sentences, and not a single capital letter, period, or comma, written like a single paragraph. Come on, guys. This forum even has spell check.....and it works, if you use it. When asking for help on an issue, it will do you a world of good if the other members on the forum can actually comprehend what you have written. This stuff just drives me crazy. Try a little proof reading before you push that "Submit Reply" button. That was very therapeutic. I feel better already.
tire joe, flylow, Knob and 1 others like this.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaterhooker0 View Post
If just a little bit of attention were paid to reasonable sentence structure, grammar, and spelling in some of the posts, it would help immensely. I am amazed when I see an entire post, with 25 apparent sentences, and not a single capital letter, period, or comma, written like a single paragraph. Come on, guys. This forum even has spell check.....and it works, if you use it. When asking for help on an issue, it will do you a world of good if the other members on the forum can actually comprehend what you have written. This stuff just drives me crazy. Try a little proof reading before you push that "Submit Reply" button. That was very therapeutic. I feel better already.
And remember: not all words ending in the letter 's' get an apostrophe.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 PM

Model: 97 gl1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoe View Post
Do not pre-load the shifter. You do not do it in cars!
Except that cars typically don't have fully manual sequential transmissions like most motorcycles, so different transmissions, different ways they operate and therefore some differences in how they may react to different operations like pre-loading. I, personally, believe that light pre-loading of the shift lever just before an upshift is not going to harm a motorcycle transmission.

Bikes I've owned since June, 2013:
Since sold:11 CBR250R, 89 ZG1000, 92 Ninja 500, 85 V45 Magna, 84 DT200, 82 Virago 750, 92 Virago 1100, 04 Kawasaki ZZR250, 07 Vstrom 650 ABS, 88 GL1500, 14 Ninja 300, 86 V65 Magna, 96 VLX600, 08 WR250X, 09 KLX250S, 87 FZR1000, 14 Ninja 650, plus some more...
Current rides:
2010 Husqvarna TE250
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2008 GL1800 with bagger kit
1997 GL1500SE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
ranting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmr250 View Post
Except that cars typically don't have fully manual sequential transmissions like most motorcycles, so different transmissions, different ways they operate and therefore some differences in how they may react to different operations like pre-loading. I, personally, believe that light pre-loading of the shift lever just before an upshift is not going to harm a motorcycle transmission.

You do not seem to be strident enough in your rant. NO CAPS OR ANYTHING!

I'm just having fun. Drive any way you like. Hell, I sometimes start in second gear, and use different brands of oil!

Have fun,

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:24 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjoe View Post
snip.... Hell, I sometimes start in second gear, and use different brands of oil!

Have fun,

Rayjoe
Me too, and I often shift right straight on to 5th gear without using 4th gear. Its a wonder my transmission didn't fall out in the middle of Death Valley!

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
according to our mega-moderator: you can start in 1, 2 even 3rd gear with some throttle and clutch slipping to make the bike move forward.
Very handy when you forget to downshift to 1st or otherwise find yourself in the wrong gear at stoplight.

Tested this accidentally yesterday in 2nd and 3rd - it really does work! 2000 rpm and slip the clutch~

Going right thru 4th to 5th is not an issue at all, for those with clunky 4th gear.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
Garage
Is that the BEST you guys can do???
I realize I'm new here, but surely there is more to whine about than these petty little things.
AZgl1800 and rayjoe like this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page