how many watt LED lites can 1200 deal with? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Make: Honda
Model: 84 Aspencade
how many watt LED lites can 1200 deal with?

as in the E bay 4" LED driving/flood lites (2). 18w x 2 is 3amps, per calculator on the web. the 84 GL has a 360 watt generator/stator so... 18 x 2= 36 watt load on the system; is that ... acceptable for the 84 GL's system w/o hurting it?

I am no electrical guru... aside black wire to black wire and red wire to red wire through switch...and fuse near battery. therefore a simple answer would be best. all things being equal the simplest answer tends to be the correct answer

the next step up is/are the 7" LED lights that use 36 watts EACH (72w total).... that would be ...too much out of the 360 watt system, right? y/n?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:56 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
An LED only uses about 10% of what an incandescent light uses so the 36 watt (comparative light output) LED will only use about 4 watts.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

so... when the ad states it is a 18 watt light, that is NOT what it is using? I figured if it is an "18 watt light" ... it would use... 18 watts, or whatever the case may be? hummmmm. 36 watts total for 2 lights. well, I have 2 of the 4" 18 watt LED's coming so I will "see" what it is all about. flood or spot? I got the floods? again, we shall "see" what it is all about. I have the E bay 10 watt outside security lights for the front of the place, on a timer, they seem to do well to light up the place so don't stumble over anything. the white light is pretty WHITE, the other one is not so white, it is ok too, just not as "bright"... they call it "warm white"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:45 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Myers View Post
so... when the ad states it is a 18 watt light, that is NOT what it is using?
No, they advertise LEDs as to their light output not actual consumption. In LED that consumed 18 watts would be really, really bright bright. I use LED bulbs in my home, a 65 watt equivalent uses 9 watts.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Year: 1986
Model: Aspencade, 86000 miles
Garage
Hummm! I have the same lights and I thought both used 32 watts, but what Dave says makes sense. I haven't had mine on in the dark yet, so don't know how bright they are.
Here is a picture of where I mounted them.

I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
-Bill Cosby-
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I was going to put them on the motor protector bars with hose clamps, I know, how cheap; but I wont drill the guards for the bolts and weaken the guards. I will use mine... or no point in putting them on as they kind of STAND OUT and look...???? I just wonder if I shd have got the spot lights instead of the floods???? if I could run BOTH and not overtax the elec system and not have it LOOK ... bad; I would run 2 sets of the 4" LED lights, fog and spot... til I decided which ones would be more practical/useful... now that we know that they don't absorb that much electricity and a person can run 2 sets of them on a 84 GL 1200, yes/no?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Large Member

Year: 2000
Model: SE
Garage
Here is an easy example. On my bike (86) I have two LED rated 18w lights on the front light bar. They are brighter than the headlight by far, at high beam. Together they consume 2 amps (measured at 2400 rpm). That equates to 2a x 12v = 24watts. There are a total of 6 bulbs in each lamp. The real measurement you should look for is lumens, which is the amount of light output and is separate from power consumption. Been running these for over a year now and no issues with power. on my voltmeter, at running speed, if I switch them off, I get back .3 volts, that's all. So I think you can run what you have just fine without overpowering the system. I do not have a poorboy, stock charging system, however, with a replaced stator this year, you may recall. I'm certain the lights didn't have any effect on the original stator, just its time to go.

Wilmo
Rubber side down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
101421 miles as of 091418
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

well.... time will tell then. I thought I cld put them on the motor protection bars; but there is no room for the light with the vents on the side of the fairing. hummmm, so now get some flat iron and U joint U bolts to bolt the ~1" wide flat iron to the motor protection bars sticking out front far enough to clear the fairing. hopefully it wont vibrate and make the light vibrate which is very disconcerting to a person. in front of the mirrors? with some kind of bracket? gets the lights higher so they triangulate better on the road;

those cute little lights, that everyone has under the bumper that blind many of us, and shd be for HIGHWAY USE ONLY, but ppl don't seem to know how to turn them off? too bad we all can't drive a F SUPER DUTY, KING RANCH, DIESEL, CREW CAB 4x4 that are HIGH above ... everything on the road...besides a Pete 379, 386/387... under the bumper lights that low to the ground only light up things RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE VEHICLE so can see whatever they are going to run over... right before they run over them??? and blind people in the oncoming lane. oh well,
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:38 PM

Year: 1986
Model: Aspencade, 86000 miles
Garage
I ran the lights for the first time tonight, and they are plenty bright. Mine are the spots.

I don't know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
-Bill Cosby-
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

so they are worth the effort to put them on the bike? I suppose I will have to put them to battery power and see what they do to the road at night. now... spots or floods? probably cannot run both at the same time and what would it LOOK like on the bike, the line between being tasteful and GAUDY is... a persons opinion, I suppose? I need to look at the mirror mounts and see if I can make a mount to put the lights in front of the mirrors to get them as high as practical. I saw a LITTLE car once with BIG fender mirrors, like what is used on a BIG P/U to pull a BIG/LONG trailer, talk about GAUDY. some guy made the hood of his toy truck look like Jurassic Park with toy dinosaurs glued to the hood...that was... interesting.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page