Curious re. the early FI Wings. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Year: '98 Valkyrie Tourer, '84 Std. restoration in process
Model: GL1200
Curious re. the early FI Wings.

How reliable is the FI system on those bikes? I've heard pros and cons re. that but it seems to me the owners of such models are quite satisfied with them. Any good opinions based on personal experience?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I had an '86SEi and it was flawless, it now resides in the garage of OnaWingAndaPrayer down in San Antonio, FL

it had a few minor computer issues, but it always started and it always ran smooth as clockwork.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I had a friend who had an 86 SEi, the only problem he had with it was the stator went south other than that the bike ran great.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
The real problem with those models is, if something does go wrong, many parts simply are not available. New or used.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:07 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
I bought a 85 LTD new and kept it for 24 years. It always ran flawlessly and had zero problems with the fuel injection system. Wish they had put the injection on the 1500s.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I had an '86SEi and it was flawless, it now resides in the garage of OnaWingAndaPrayer down in San Antonio, FL

it had a few minor computer issues, but it always started and it always ran smooth as clockwork.
Yes, I know Mike, we swap emails from time to time. I'm looking at an FI engine that seems like a good deal. Since my Std. is carbed, Mike said he wants the FI stuff for spares but.....I got to thinking. Since the engine is complete with everything including the wiring necessary, why not just install the entire thing as is. Sure would save me some time making the changeover and pulling all the new parts I've installed on the present motor.

I'm getting a bit of static from the "front office" re. spending the money so will have to wait and see if I can pull it off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:53 PM

Make: Honda
Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
not saying it cant be done but making an 84 FI,would probably be easier just buying one,
the frame would probably be the only small thing that would be usable

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoracer View Post
not saying it cant be done but making an 84 FI,would probably be easier just buying one,
the frame would probably be the only small thing that would be usable
This setup has everything except the FI tank, the fuel pump and its associated plumbing so I could convert it fairly easy. I bought it this morning, should be here by week's end. Since I already have gone through the carbs and a friend down here wants the FI stuff for spares, I'll just swap out everything and make a carb engine out of it. My present skeeter killer(not valve seals) has new belts, water pump, clutch servo, a number of other things which I'll pull and reinstall.

I actually talked to the guy that checked out the bike before breaking it down. I can only hope his words of "it's a sweet running motor" are true, said compression is in the 160's across the board.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:57 PM

Model: 1986 SE-i
My SE-i has been running well for the 12 years that I've owned it. Had to replace the stator and regulator. The only problem I've had with the FI system was fixed by replacing the 25 year old vacuum lines a few years back. Starts right up every time and surprises some other riders when I get the revs up. I have collected most of the spare parts that I need just in case, though. I was even able to buy one of the last new crank sensors sold. I keep that in a secret place under lock and key.

I'd recommend owning one. But only if you can do the work yourself if you have issues. It took me a while to learn how it works thanks to the people on this board. I wouldn't want a local mechanic learning on my time!

'86 SE-i
There is no problem in life that a sufficient quantity of high explosives won't solve.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page