84 interstate sputtering at low speed - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Model: 84 interstate
Smile 84 interstate sputtering at low speed

Bike is running quite well all things considered, starts fairly easy in morning,I let it warm up, I go down my driveway make complete stop at bottom, then take off all is good, I drive in to town about 7 miles, come to first stop sign. As soon as I leave the stop sign it sputters until i get going a little bit faster or gun it just a bit.

No danger of stalling at all just sputtering,I have had this about 3 weeks now, have ran 2 cans of seafoam through it, I actually used a entire bottle with full tank and done that twice. I then tried a tank of high test

I dont know, I think its a little better or I am just getting used to it, like I said first thing in the morning after being warmed up I pull out of the driveway from a stop with no sputering, it only starts when I hit the first stop sign and then go again

I am getting pretty good at dealing with it, I find if I just so very slightly delicately turn the throttle I can fake it a bit.. its also a bit embarrassing sputtering(pride goeth before the fall) through town at 40 Khm through town street.

I know everybodys going to say clean your carbs, people always say that, it may be the case but ?

I put on a new fuel filter, looked for leaks in vaccuum hoses and gas lines. I put brand new spark plugs in last year, its running on all 4 down the hyw fine, maybe its not fuel?

Any suggestions?

If I thought new plugs would do the trick I would certainly do it, just that last year the plugs were so hard to remove...yep I greased the thread before putting back in , 3 of them went back in easy one went back in tight, not stripped just tight, but am leary of pulling them unnecessarily, I made a note of the hard one, but could replace the other 3 if that would help, but I dont think thats the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
When it doesn't sputter do you still have the choke on a bit?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Have you done a carb sync?
Original dog bone fuse? If it is an interruption of electrical power to the ignition system.
That's what comes to mind so far for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

No choke at all Ken after starting
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Trike Lady I have a standard fuse now, No have not synced carbs, never had...I will look up and see if its something I can do, I believe it requires a tool doesnt it

I took the carbs off pretty well once to put choke cable on a few years ago, So maybe cleaning carbs is not so difficult

will look up Sync carbs, I have a manual, I was trying to avoid cleaning carbs, no sybcing is different, just talking out loud
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:03 PM

Model: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade, 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 1983 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing.
On a running Wing Seafoam should clean the carbs fine. +1 on carb synch; it requires a vacuum gauge, but you probably know someone who has one, and their not expensive. Also, I set my idle to 1,000rpms, not the 900 recommended, for smoother take offs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpone View Post
On a running Wing Seafoam should clean the carbs fine. +1 on carb synch; it requires a vacuum gauge, but you probably know someone who has one, and their not expensive. Also, I set my idle to 1,000rpms, not the 900 recommended, for smoother take offs.

looking at this Steve saunders video on youtube, I can do thi

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 1985 Gl1200A
I have an 85 Aspencade that sputtered / stumbled.

I got rid of it by:
1) Shimming the needles
2) Adjusting the mixture screws
3) Syncing the carbs
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Your statement about it sputtering at about 40 km per hour down the street made me think about how my former 81 interstate used to sound when riding easily through town. It had sort of a stuttering sound but with just the least amount of throttle it would smooth out. I took the slides out of the carbs and polished the bores and the slides and that helped a lot. Also would put a couple ounces of MMO in the fuel about every other tank and that helped keep it from doing it. That MMO helped with keeping the slides lubed so they didn't stick in the bore. At least that is my theory and I'm sticking to it!

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody, going to try everything mentioned...btw while thanking everybody some stuff looks like it disappeared, at least from my end
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page