84 GL1200 Clutch drags
Recently got my first bike. My father in law gifted me his 84 Aspy. Its been sitting a while so it needed a little tlc. First bike, but I have a few ATVs so the maintenance is similar. Anyway, I noticed a bit of clutch drag and instantly thought that an oil change was due. Changed the oil with Valvoline 10w40 MC oil for wet clutch engines. Rode the bike to work. All was well on the way there, but the trip home I experienced a lot of clutch drag. Bike would lurch forward and rpm would drop a few hundred rpm. Shifting while driving was near impossible. Decided to tackle bleeding the clutch. Found out that is a pain on a wing. Long story short, I still have clutch drag.
Here are a few things that I think could be the causes.
1. Maybe I dont have the clutch bled properly.
a. I bled the clutch per instructions Ive received on the forum. Lever feels pretty good.
2. Warped clutch plates.
a. Wouldnt the clutch judder if the plates were warped.
3. Make better oil choices.
a. I bought the cheapest oil I could find figuring I would change again soon. (Valvoline conv. oil). I also noticed the clutch dragging one ride after the oil change.
4. Maybe rebuild master and slave cylinders.
Oils Im considering in order of my personal preference.
1. Kawasaki 10w40 Full synthetic JASO MA2 cert. I have a family member that works at Kawasaki and gets me this oil on the cheap. I run this oil in all my atvs.
2. Mobile 1 synthetic $10 at local store
3. Honda GN4 $10 at local bike dealer
Is there another oil that I should be considering?