timing belt fear - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

timing belt fear

Hey fellow wingers. I have gotten brave enough to do alot of my own maint. and repairs on my 1500,but have yet to get sure enough of myself to change the timing belts. I am pretty well mechanically inclined. Is it that difficult to do? and what is the hardest part of doing it?

Thanks for the info!!
Wingman64
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoride View Post
Is it that difficult to do? and what is the hardest part of doing it?
The hardest part by far is overcoming the fear.
Just go slowly and double check your work.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:21 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Hardest part could be the removal of left long cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)

Year: 1995
Make: Honda (of course!)
Model: 1995 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
I did mine and I'm an idiot! So go for it! LOL
Knob likes this.

Rick Sheeley/King Gypsy
East Coast,USA

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.." - Stephen Hawking
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:03 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
It is not a hard job. The problem is that it is unforgiving if done incorrectly. You seem like you are fairly competent with a wrench in your hands, so it won't be very hard for you. Just follow the excellent directions in the how-to articles and you will be fine. It can be done in a few hours with a lot of breaks and double checking everything you do. If you are unsure of anything just come back here and ask questions until you understand.
Good luck.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:28 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Just line up the timing marks, remove the old belts and put the new ones on without moving anything. Then turn the crankshaft 2 turns CCW and recheck the marks and belt tension. If it comes up a tooth off it won't hurt anything, just remove the belt, turn the cam pulley 1 tooth and put the belt back on and recheck.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Cool Timing Belt Fear

Hey thanks everyone for all the encouragement!! I beleive I will go ahead and tackel this. The key seems to be go slow and double check everything

Thanks Again
Wingman64
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Year: 84 GL 1200
Make: Honda
Model: 84 Aspencade
seems like the questions for me would be: do we have to take the radiator off to do the work (it is easier with the radiator off than on, but can be done with radiator on, on 1200 I read). getting / keeping the timing EXACTLY RIGHT...fortunately the timing cam belt "sprockets" have UP cast into them AND little marks on the side of the cam belt "sprockets" that match LITTLE marks on the belt guards. I would clean the UP and the LITTLE side marks on the cam drive with alcohol and PAINT THEM WHITE SO NO MISTAKES!!!! I would CLEAN AND PAINT/marker around the bolt head on the timing bolt tensioners, that way (presuming that the original belts were the right tension to begin with) when we go back together with it, the belt tensioners mounting area will already have an "imprint" of where they should be? so we don't hv to "reinvent the wheel," y/n? the timing tension bolt torque, on 1200, is 19 FT/LB

Before removal of belts, GET A REAL GOOD FEEL FOR THE BELT TENSION on the LONG SIDE (bottom) of the belts, it is like 3-5mm (1/8-3/16" with 2kg /4.4# of force) of belt play (for 1200). if belts are TOO TIGHT the belts whine (wings are whiners?), if TOO LOOSE the belts slap the case.. JUMP TIME=catastrophic engine damage. have to rotate the motor, with the bolt on the front of the crankshaft, back and fourth to check that got the timing right and to put tension/remove tension? to can check the "tightness" of the belt on the long side so it is just so.... rotate the motor (1200 Service Manual reads 40 degrees both ways) (easier with plugs out) and recheck check timing. there should be a timing mark on the main CRANK drive pulley on the front of the crankshaft also, I would CLEAN/PAINT THAT TOO that too so NO MISTAKES. when it is all over I would mark the outside of the case with something HARD so that they next owner will know when the belts were changed. every 5 yrs or ??? miles. Engraver? BELT REPLACEMENT DONE JULY-2016

Book reads to take the plug out of the top of the motor to check the T1 Mark on the...and keep it there, there are several marks in there for setting timing at various RPM's; don't confuse the marks. on the 1200 the cam drive sprocket wants to turn without belt tension on it, so when remove the belt, the cam drive "sprocket" turns on its own from valve spring pressure with engine at TDC of #1 piston... IT IS important THAT A PERSON (SOMEHOW) either prevents that from happening (?) OR gets it back where it is supposed to be before putting the new belt on the "sprocket" (it cant be that hard to get the "sprocket" to turn with our hands to put the new belt on? AND/OR when we release the tensioner the cam "sprocket" will automatically turn with the OLD BELT ON IT; ok, no problem, let it do its thing...then gently slide the old belt off/slide the new belt on, retighten the tensioner and IT SHOULD pull the cam "sprocket" back to where it was with the old belt, YES/no?) triple check the work.

if I cld, I would take a hacksaw blade and make little marks on the side of the cam "sprockets" and on the case so I would KNOW EXACTLY where the CAM "sprockets" were to be, Y/n? yes, stress risers...negligible in this case? I have read in other posts that previous ppl have had problems getting the cam sprockets PERFECT with the marks on the case after a belt change (they were ~1/2 a tooth off), but it worked??? variations in belt manufacturing? quality control? the group consensus was, if it works...don't fix it, y/n?

rockauto.com has the belts for the 1200 @ ~$20 for 2 of them Gates 070 I believe the belt nbs are; they have Goldwing parts section, amazing enuf. I was going to call the shop and ask them how much to do it, just to ask. of course they are all booked up till xmas and would rather work ON .... REAL MEN RIDE... VESPA's!!!! 300 GTS (a paltry, not poultry, ~$10,000?)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
It really isn't bad at all. Just take your time, especially the first time, and go methodically.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Myers View Post
seems like the questions for me would be: do we have to take the radiator off to do the work (it is easier with the radiator off than on, but can be done with radiator on, on 1200 I read). getting / keeping the timing EXACTLY RIGHT...fortunately the timing cam belt "sprockets" have UP cast into them AND little marks on the side of the cam belt "sprockets" that match LITTLE marks on the belt guards. I would clean the UP and the LITTLE side marks on the cam drive with alcohol and PAINT THEM WHITE SO NO MISTAKES!!!! I would CLEAN AND PAINT/marker around the bolt head on the timing bolt tensioners, that way (presuming that the original belts were the right tension to begin with) when we go back together with it, the belt tensioners mounting area will already have an "imprint" of where they should be? so we don't hv to "reinvent the wheel," y/n? the timing tension bolt torque, on 1200, is 19 FT/LB

Before removal of belts, GET A REAL GOOD FEEL FOR THE BELT TENSION on the LONG SIDE (bottom) of the belts, it is like 3-5mm (1/8-3/16" with 2kg /4.4# of force) of belt play (for 1200). if belts are TOO TIGHT the belts whine (wings are whiners?), if TOO LOOSE the belts slap the case.. JUMP TIME=catastrophic engine damage. have to rotate the motor, with the bolt on the front of the crankshaft, back and fourth to check that got the timing right and to put tension/remove tension? to can check the "tightness" of the belt on the long side so it is just so.... rotate the motor (1200 Service Manual reads 40 degrees both ways) (easier with plugs out) and recheck check timing. there should be a timing mark on the main CRANK drive pulley on the front of the crankshaft also, I would CLEAN/PAINT THAT TOO that too so NO MISTAKES. when it is all over I would mark the outside of the case with something HARD so that they next owner will know when the belts were changed. every 5 yrs or ??? miles. Engraver? BELT REPLACEMENT DONE JULY-2016

Book reads to take the plug out of the top of the motor to check the T1 Mark on the...and keep it there, there are several marks in there for setting timing at various RPM's; don't confuse the marks. on the 1200 the cam drive sprocket wants to turn without belt tension on it, so when remove the belt, the cam drive "sprocket" turns on its own from valve spring pressure with engine at TDC of #1 piston... IT IS important THAT A PERSON (SOMEHOW) either prevents that from happening (?) OR gets it back where it is supposed to be before putting the new belt on the "sprocket" (it cant be that hard to get the "sprocket" to turn with our hands to put the new belt on? AND/OR when we release the tensioner the cam "sprocket" will automatically turn with the OLD BELT ON IT; ok, no problem, let it do its thing...then gently slide the old belt off/slide the new belt on, retighten the tensioner and IT SHOULD pull the cam "sprocket" back to where it was with the old belt, YES/no?) triple check the work.

if I cld, I would take a hacksaw blade and make little marks on the side of the cam "sprockets" and on the case so I would KNOW EXACTLY where the CAM "sprockets" were to be, Y/n? yes, stress risers...negligible in this case? I have read in other posts that previous ppl have had problems getting the cam sprockets PERFECT with the marks on the case after a belt change (they were ~1/2 a tooth off), but it worked??? variations in belt manufacturing? quality control? the group consensus was, if it works...don't fix it, y/n?

rockauto.com has the belts for the 1200 @ ~$20 for 2 of them Gates 070 I believe the belt nbs are; they have Goldwing parts section, amazing enuf. I was going to call the shop and ask them how much to do it, just to ask. of course they are all booked up till xmas and would rather work ON .... REAL MEN RIDE... VESPA's!!!! 300 GTS (a paltry, not poultry, ~$10,000?)
When you think the belt is off because the marks are not perfect just imagine or move it one tooth. Then it will make more sense. One way it is off a little. If you move one tooth it is off more. No brainer then. If you really have an issue take a picture and post it here. The guys have done lots of them obviously and they will give you a thumbs up.....or down.
DaveO430 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page