GL1000 restore. No matter how long it takes - Page 23 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2004,1975
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post
It has been quite a while since I owned my 1979 GL1000, but as I recall, the buzzer would sound between flashes of the blinkers.
The blinker relay only has two wires. One is the fused power, the other powers all the lights. So I took them both off and tapped them together like I was the relay turning on and off, When the lights were on the buzzer was off and vice Versa. I can't wait for the new relay to show up to see if it all works the way I think
flylow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I got the blinker relay and it worked as planned. I have blinkers (Winkers as Honda calls them).

As I said, this is a really complicated circuit and it was all hacked up both in the front and rear of the bike. It took a lot to figure it all out again.

I tried a video to show how the blinker/beeper combination works. that sounds like one of those annoying backup horns, but I guess that is its purpose.

post #223 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I was getting frustrated finding someone local to do the welding necessary to fix the stud on the exhaust. So I practiced and practiced and practiced some more.

I decided to drill out the original stud, look around a bit and decide what my next step was. When I started drilling out the stud I found that there was about 3/8" of material there. Not thin at all. It came to me that I might be able to tap it, so I did.

I then contemplated just putting a bolt in there instead of a stud, but a stud is what is supposed to be there. I screwed the bolt that I had in the hole, but I couldn't just leave it like that because it would turn if I tried to put a bolt on it.

Grow some balls! -- I put 4 small tacks on the bolt, cut off the top of the bolt, ground down the embarrassing welding, paint -- and wow

Brand new stud -- only the most observant far off future restorer will ever know.

Pretty happy with how that ended up. But I really need to invest in some welding classes. That skill opens up a hole new dimension of things one can tackle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_000 (4).jpg (75.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg File_003.jpg (69.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg File_001 (2).jpg (132.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg File_005.jpg (120.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg File_006.jpg (84.8 KB, 18 views)
AZgl1800, flylow, theRide and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
back in the '70s I worked for a pipeline company.

one of the welders there took pity on me and taught me how to drag a stick....
found out in a hurry if you don't do that everyday, you will never get good.

then he said, you know how to solder don't you??

"yep, I do" as I was the electronics technician there.....

he then said, "well, let me show you this thing, and he pulled out a Mig welder that was drinking Argon gas.... in about 5 minutes, he had me doing some of the purtiest stuff.... and he commented, "ya know, I could teach you to be a pipeliner in about two days"

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #225 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I put the exhaust on the bike today. How about those blue side covers. Those are the extras the PO gave me, just wanted to see how they looked. I might just rattle can them black just to fill in the holes. Or I might just wait until I paint all the panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_008.jpg (110.8 KB, 13 views)
post #226 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

This post marks a bitter sweet milestone I ran out of parts!! I seem to be done. I guess I should change the name of the thread. I started in June 3, 2016 and put the last part on Nov 11, 2016. That is 161 days. That didn't take me that long. I was in a lucky position in my life that I could spend a little time every day.

I touched every bolt, nut, screw. Painted every part that should have been painted, cleaned and polished everything else. Spent lots of time putting the wiring harness back together. Replaced any missing or incorrect parts. I was pretty lucky, the bike was pretty complete and there were very few items that I couldn't refurbish and reuse.

I still have to paint the "Tins". I will either have someone do them over the winter or do them myself in the spring.

I also still have to start it and chase out the gremlins. I will start it during the thanksgiving break when my sons come home. I will record that and I promise to put it on the thread no matter what happens. IF I can get it out of my workshop. You may have noticed that I built it in my workshop. It has to go through two doors to get outside. My measurements say it should fit, I hope so, or I just built a motorcycle in a bottle.

If the weather holds, I will also do a few quick shakedown rides. I wish I timed this a little better so I could take the time to chase the gremlins out. At this point I will probably have to wait for spring to really put some seat time on the bike.

I have kept track of all the parts that I have bought. I will see if I can put them in a post so that people know what to expect if anyone wants to try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_000 (20).jpg (134.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg File_001 (14).jpg (89.3 KB, 21 views)
post #227 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Nice work, 161 days is very good. The trick is to stay focused on the 'next' job and be ready for it. I'm interested in your cost accounting. I have a spread sheet for my GL1200I. I didn't do that on the 450 and I'm sure I went over $3,000. I will be watching for the first start.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #228 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

This is everything I bought for the restoration. I still have to paint the panels and deal with whatever items come up during the shakedown, so there will probably be more. But this gives anyone an idea of what the expense is to do a restoration on a bike like this. This is probably minimum. I was quite lucky that all the most of the parts were on the bike, and I did not have to make any major repairs to any of the primary components ie: engine, drive train etc.

I did not count any tools or consumables. Tools make you richer as a human being and cans of brake cleaner and paper towels are just the price of life. I don't think I counted all the paint cans I bought, so it is probably a little shy, but not much.

Ignoring the hours applied (there is no equation that would ever make that work out), I spent $850 for the bike, $1,100 on the restoration. I think that means that I SHOULD be able to make a few dollars if I sold it. At least break even. I didn't do it for profit, I did it because I am addicted to cleaning, repairing, painting, repeat. But it feeds the habit ( I have no plans to sell it , so for now the habit just keeps draining the wallet)

What's next?? I am thinking of a CB750. I like those bikes, but I bet I will never be able to find one for $850
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_000.jpg (103.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg File_001.jpg (101.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg File_002.jpg (67.1 KB, 20 views)
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #229 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:38 PM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
I'm looking forward to when you fire that joker up and we have to help diagnose carb problems
Not that I'm knocking it's quality, but I see that some o-rings and a few screws and washers for your carbs were easily the biggest single expenditure for your bike, even without the $30 video, so I'll say it again. Carb kits are way overpriced for what they are.
post #230 of 320 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Very satisfying thing to do. I did a total rebuild on a 1980 GL1100 a few years ago. Took it down to bare frame, replaced, repaired, and painted each part that needed it. All screws and bolts cleaned and buffed, all chrome and aluminum polished. Took some scrounging and Ebay to get all the parts needed. Carb rebuild and adjusting was interesting. Anyway in the end I ended up with what looked and ran like a new bike. I made some money selling it but not much profit if you consider time spent on the bike. I wanted to do a chassis up restoration on a model A but I couldn't really afford that. The project on the 1100 was very satisfying to me as I'm sure it is with you. During the ten years I had my shop in Tacoma I refurbished about eight 'oldwings'. My favorite of the bunch was a 1980 Standard Goldwing. That bike was downright fun to ride and without the fairing weighing it down a very nice performing motorcycle. Not a single rattle either. I sure wish I'd kept that one but I made $2000 on it for minimal work and money does have a way of changing one's mind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page