GL1000 restore. No matter how long it takes - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

61Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2004,1975
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1000
I noticed that the internal bearings have alternating large balls and small balls. The small balls seem to be about the size of the FOD I found

I looked at all the bearings and they all seem to be tight and smooth. Can't see any little balls missing, but I think there is a cover over the bearings so you can't see them anyway. Any suggestions would be great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.9 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. I will look at Everett powersports

I plan to go through everything, especially both the oil pumps before I put it back in. Take my time, make sure everything is right and put it back together carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
Did you figure out where that FOD come from?
I bought my rings from everett_powersports on ebay. He sold out. I got STD size.

While you are down there, replace main chain tensioner with GL1200. Those have spring loaded, and will quiet the noise on idle. Also you will have to modify the trough
Check out John : http://www.wingovations.com/fitting-...ain/4584942275

Make sure the main chain is still reusable.
Rebuild the scavenger pump. Again, John explained that too.

This is how to select the main and con-rod bearings
http://www.wingovations.com/choosing...ngs/4588152247

He can hook you up with some piston rings as well.
post #53 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The con rod bearings are now going to be available new, read this:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...n-waiting.html

WingGoVations is having them manufactured in Germany

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajulia View Post
I noticed that the internal bearings have alternating large balls and small balls. The small balls seem to be about the size of the FOD I found

I looked at all the bearings and they all seem to be tight and smooth. Can't see any little balls missing, but I think there is a cover over the bearings so you can't see them anyway. Any suggestions would be great
What you're calling small balls is the riveting on the beating cage used to keep the balls evenly spaced.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #55 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Measured the main bearing clearance with plastiguage Two were .0015 and the other was .001. Limit is .003. The motor keeps looking in good shape, So I am going to stop measuring and put it back together.

I deglazed the cylinders. Very pleased on how they came out. Ordered new rings from eBay

Both halves have been cleaned and painted, see the pic. All ready for the parts to be put back on. I will start tomorrow, Wanted the paint to cure overnight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.2 KB, 40 views)
Schneidly likes this.
post #56 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I was putting the heads back together tonight, While torquing the rocker frame back on (220 in lb) I started feeling a few of the bolts stretch. One of them failed, I was lucky enough to stop before it broke so I didn't have to fish it out of the whole. I took it out in one piece. Luckily I can still buy them from Honda, so I am going to replace all 12

Any thoughts about the torque on those bolts, 220 in lb. (18 ft lb ) sure doesn't seem like enough to stretch those bolts.

If you look real close you can see the threads separating at the very top of the thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.3 KB, 35 views)
post #57 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Year: 1977
Model: GL1000
Quote:
Measured the main bearing clearance with plastiguage Two were .0015 and the other was .001. Limit is .003. The motor keeps looking in good shape, So I am going to stop measuring and put it back together.

I deglazed the cylinders. Very pleased on how they came out. Ordered new rings from eBay

Both halves have been cleaned and painted, see the pic. All ready for the parts to be put back on. I will start tomorrow, Wanted the paint to cure overnight
Nice painting job. Did you do it yourself? What kind spray did you use?

You have to oil the threads and the bottom of the heads.
post #58 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks View Post
Nice painting job. Did you do it yourself? What kind spray did you use?

You have to oil the threads and the bottom of the heads.
Duplicolor engine enamel Aluminum DE1615

I had moly on the threads when I put them in.
post #59 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 07:57 AM

Model: as in the signature, but subject to change!
Quote:
Duplicolor engine enamel Aluminum DE1615

I had moly on the threads when I put them in.
No, no, the Moly greasing only applies to the head bolts. The rocker holder bolts go in dry. That is why you stretched the bolt. With them greased you would have to tighten WAY too much to get to that torque reading.

wingformation on

1976 GL1000 \'The Swan\' - from an ugly ducking..
1979 GL1000 \'Black Bess\'- original.

post #60 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Broken bolts suck!

I started putting everything back together again. Cleaned checked and put back the two oil pumps. Broke another stud on the main oil pump. Lucky again, the whole bolt came out in one piece. No fishing the broken piece out This time with my torque wrench set to 150 inch pounds. What? Ok. Time to back away and figure out what is going on. My 40 year old torque wrench is failing me. I took it all apart, hardened grease and sticky parts, cleaned it and compared it to my foot pound wrench, They both read the same at 10 and 20 foot pounds. Tried it on the pump again and it felt MUCH better.

So I had to order some more studs for the oil pump. I put the lower transmission back in and the shifter forks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.4 KB, 32 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page