GL1000 restore. No matter how long it takes - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

61Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2004,1975
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1000
I got the gl1200 chain tensioner and put it in today. Modified the chain guide so it all fits. I hate cutting up original parts, but I talked myself into it. I was waiting for all that to come in so I could see what it was all about and I was going to commit to cutting up the chain guide. So know I can move on
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (286.7 KB, 39 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

The crank, chain and the rest of the transmission went in. Starting to look like an engine again. Time for the Pistons, but my rings haven't arrived yet. USPS says they are somewhere between Washington state and Maryland. That narrows it down!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (313.0 KB, 38 views)
post #73 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
Wajulia, nice work. I will be going down the same path with my 1100. One thing I have learned, you cannot just pretty up a few parts. Once you start you have to do them all.
Do you have any comments on splitting the case halfs? How did you break the seal? Did you remove the alternator rotor and clutch? THX- JimP
I just kept knocking it gently with a block of wood and a hammer and it eventually started to split. Be very careful, resist sticking a screwdriver in the space, there are a lot of thin parts and passages that you can't see from the outside. I was afraid that thin aluminum would break

I removed everything including clutch and alternator. The clutch needs a special tool that I made from a socket ( I wonder why they couldn't use a hex nut there). A couple of days after I made the tool a friend of mine who had done that a few years ago found the tool. Well at least putting it back together will be easier. ( can you tell which one I made?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (166.4 KB, 26 views)
JamesPal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

The rings came today. I should be able to get the Pistons in tomorrow.

I will be ready to join the halves next weekend. Question, what sealer do you suggest to seal the halves?
post #75 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Year: 1977
Model: GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajulia View Post
The rings came today. I should be able to get the Pistons in tomorrow.

I will be ready to join the halves next weekend. Question, what sealer do you suggest to seal the halves?
Don't forget the neutral switch ,
Three bond case sealant liquid gasket works fine.
You're doing a great job
post #76 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I always find great people in this hobby. I was putting the rings on the Pistons and one of the new ones snapped as I was putting it on. I didn't do anything unusual or different than all the others but "boing" it went flying across the room

I sent a message to the guy who sold them to me " can I buy just one more set?" His response, "I'll put one The mail tomorrow, no charge".

There seems to be a great respect among the people that like to preserve the past. I am all warm inside.
post #77 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajulia View Post
I just kept knocking it gently with a block of wood and a hammer and it eventually started to split. Be very careful, resist sticking a screwdriver in the space, there are a lot of thin parts and passages that you can't see from the outside. I was afraid that thin aluminum would break

I removed everything including clutch and alternator. The clutch needs a special tool that I made from a socket ( I wonder why they couldn't use a hex nut there). A couple of days after I made the tool a friend of mine who had done that a few years ago found the tool. Well at least putting it back together will be easier. ( can you tell which one I made?)
It looks like pulling the clutch and alternator are the next steps for me. I have the tool you are pointing out. Yours looks nice. I bought mine on ebay. I made one from 1 1/2 inch hex steel to fit the swing arm and headstock. The alternator looks straight forward. I need to figure out how to hold the inner clutch drum to break the nut loose. On my 450 the HondaTwins.net gurus recommend a copper penny in the clutch drive gear. This doesn't look like an option on the GL1100.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
It looks like pulling the clutch and alternator are the next steps for me. I have the tool you are pointing out. Yours looks nice. I bought mine on ebay. I made one from 1 1/2 inch hex steel to fit the swing arm and headstock. The alternator looks straight forward. I need to figure out how to hold the inner clutch drum to break the nut loose. On my 450 the HondaTwins.net gurus recommend a copper penny in the clutch drive gear. This doesn't look like an option on the GL1100.
There is a hole bored in the alternator, I used a drill bit that fit the hole wrapped with a rag so it didn't cut my hand. It worked. I guess you could by some round stock at Home Depot to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (190.4 KB, 16 views)
post #79 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

The Pistons are in!

I have to wait for the new rings to come in. I was at least lucky enough that the broken one is one of the exposed ones so I could put it on the crankshaft and still change the rings later. The blue things in the picture are the Pistons, I wrapped them in blue tape to protect them. I love blue tape.

I probably won't get back to it again until next weekend. Time to put the Halves together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (261.3 KB, 26 views)
post #80 of 320 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

The two halves are together.

It went quite well. I forgot to take a pic of the setup before we put the top on, but I used two hose clamps over the rings and two blocks of wood holding up the Pistons. The Pistons were even with each other. We had to do it twice, the first time there was no way to get the blocks out. So we made them smaller, they came right out the second try.

The case sat together nice and easily clamped together as the bolts were tightened.

The new water pump is in, so I will start that next, but I will be traveling for the next two weeks, so until then
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.5 KB, 42 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page