Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2004,1975
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1000
Arrow GL1000 restore. No matter how long it takes

Hi all
A little nervous about this thread, I always liked watching threads of people who brought the readers through a whole restoration. Well, I just started one, and I started my thread. I am pretty sure I will finish the bike someday, but I am not so sure will take the time to document it all, but I promise I have all good intentions

So this is where I started, 1975 gl1000. It didn't run when I got it. PO said it had a major oil leak that had to be fixed ( I found it!)

Well here we go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (124.0 KB, 92 views)
Schneidly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

So after just a few short weeks, this is where I am! I promised myself I wouldn't start any restoration until I got to a bare frame. Only ran into a few strange things. The handlebars don't seem to be stock, Don't the stock ones have a hole in the bottom so you can run wires through them. Mine don't. I spent a lot of time bagging and tagging and taking lots of pictures.

Some engine concerns (one big one). I will talk about it next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (126.2 KB, 42 views)
post #3 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

So the engine-- this is confusing me, so any opinions are welcome. IF I don't think the engine is worth repairing, I will probably part the bike out and find another. I can't see finding an engine that's worth fixing nearby and I can't imagine buying one sight unseen.

Ok, I checked the compression, 75psi on all cylinders, what! That's just too low and too consistently low. So I checked the cam belt, and it was ok, I adjusted the valve lash, they were all to tight. I fixed it, and the compression went up to 85 psi for all the cylinders. Still to low, and too constant, I am thinking there must be something mechanically wrong, not just a tired engine.

I started tearing down the engine today, and the mystery continues. Took the heads off, found the oil leak. Someone was inside the engine before me. The head gasket on the left side was on inside out. That means it didn't seal the oil passage? On the bottom of the head (the port at the top of the picture below, house shaped passage). The right side head gasket looked original, so whoever was in there was changing a blown head Gasket? I will probably never know

So I put the heads on my bench combustion chamber up and filled them with alcohol. They have been sitting there for hour, no leaks through the valves. I was sure I would find some bent valves, but no

Inspected all the bores, No deep scratches, no ridge at all and I can even see remnants of cross hatching. I measured the bores and they are all 71.9x mm. I think that means the engine has not been bored

So at this point I am thinking my compression gauge is broken. The internals of this engine look really good

So what are your thoughts. Should I spend some money on this engine and bring it to a machine shop to check?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.7 KB, 55 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
I'm no engine expert, but I wouldn't condemn that engine yet. Those compression readings are low but I think not unreasonable for a cold engine that has been sitting unused for a while. They are all consistent so I think you have a good engine. Someone who knows more about this will be along shortly and give you a more definitive answer.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #5 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Model: 1975 GL1000(gone) 1980 GL1100 1996 GL1500SE
If the carbs were still on the motor, did you hold them at wide open throttle when testing compression?
post #6 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Gona follow this thread... Best of luck!! Do us proud!

Tim
siouxindian likes this.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have seen/read of engines that had been lying fallow for a long period of time, and when tested for compression had compression values in the lower ranges like you just posted.

When they were cleaned up properly and put on the road, after some 1,000s of miles the compression readings returned to near or at normal.

I would not give up on that engine, just clean it up, and put it together like Honda intended for it to be.

I feel that it will be just fine.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:05 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
No, the wiring does not run through the handlebars, they look like the OE bars to me. Don't worry about the engine, it will be fine.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Well I said that I didn't trust my compression tester. My 40 year old compression tester didn't have the right adapters to fit in the gold wings spark plugs, so I went to harbor freight and bought a brand new one. That is the one that showed me around 80 psi on the engine

So I decided to test the compression tester. I got my one year old cub cadet ride on ( I love it if anyone is interested) and checked the compression . First with the old tester(it fit my lawn mower). 125psi, ok. Now with the brand new harbor freight unit, 80psi! Tried it a few more times, same results. I guess you get what you pay for!

That's kind of frustrating, now I don't know what the compression of that motor is. But from what I see, it looks really good. So I am going to keep going.
post #10 of 320 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Next steps
I am going to keep tearing down the engine, I want to check the engine in detail. I want to bring it to an engine builder in Frederick Maryland (anybody near there used any engine builders?). Have the bore,piston,rings crank bearings measured and fixed up if necessary.

Thoughts? Should I keep tearing it down or clean up the heads and leave well enough alone.

Next thread is a question about cam readings
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page