Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

84 gl1200

15K views 187 replies 21 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
Well I did it, bought an 84 aspencade at a decent price.
All the gauges seem to be working, turns over ok when I applied jumper,
It seems as the PO did a hack job on the wiring.
Bike has been sitting for past 2 years in a garage.
Did not hear or feel fuel pump running. Have not got to look at the wiring yet, gonna pull pump and run wires to battery to see if the pump works.

#183 ·
Quick question, my fuel gauge does not register after I got it running, I noticed that I had the wires reversed on the sending unit, I hope it is a case of blown fuse but I have not located 1 yet
I tried grounding the wires together to get gauge moving but nothing. If I understand the wire in center carries voltage? Or how does it work? It did work before I pulled tank out and changed it

#184 ·
Well if its like the 1000 .... the center post is "hot" and the offset post is ..."ground" I think.

the sender has a wire thats wound several times creating a resistor and moving point connected to the "hot" that makes it a potentiometer basically as the tank is filled the resistance gets lower . that figure should be in the service manual under gauges.

I dont think the 1200s had 7 vt regulators but I dont know. thats a normal problem with the 1000s if the temp gauge is also not working.

anyway thats the basics of the 1000s

short the wires at the sender the fuel gauge should go to full.
if it does gauge is not the problem.... Supposedly

Oddly enough Im looking at a 1200 aspy thats just like yours but they want more than Im going to pay because its in about the same shape
wiring ....OMG.... guy couldnt find a draw that was killing the battery so he put in a switch to kill the battery, its done so baddly the connectors can touch and they are loose enough that they are ... so the switch doesnt really work...pulled the side cover and there are wires my 12 yr old could have done a better job repairing, rectifier in the trunk that looks new. Those things tell me all I need to know about the electrical system, shocks leaking. tires bald. trunk lid broken.... etc etc etc.... just hoping they would rather sell it than part it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.