1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 PM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
DBohrer,

I see, but when we have power on the "hot in on" end of the relay that voltage will go through the circuit as if the ignition key is turned on.

And this will cause the lights to come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Yep, that is true. There would be power to the head fuse, starter/reverse switch, dimmer switch which would activate the head light relays.

Good catch...........!!

I should know by now not to question anything you say as you are always right. I don't know too many folks like that...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdeniz Umman View Post
DBohrer,

I see, but when we have power on the "hot in on" end of the relay that voltage will go through the circuit as if the ignition key is turned on.

And this will cause the lights to come on.
Erdeniz Umman likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Yep, that is true. There would be power to the head fuse, starter/reverse switch, dimmer switch which would activate the head light relays.

Good catch...........!!

I should know by now not to question anything you say as you are always right. I don't know too many folks like that...!!
Thanks a lot to hear such beautiful words from a guru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Alright, I was with Dave, then I wasn't, now I am just confused. I tried to find a path for the power to flow from the #3 to the dimmer power and it seems the diode should block the path. I'm not doubting there is a path but with all the spaghetti I can't find it. Now I have a headache and quit. Help me please.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Bad Ignition Switch

Relay # 3 always has "load" voltage (even with the ignition OFF).

If the relay # 3 was stuck in the closed position (or if the load and trigger pins were shorted together), there would be voltage on the black trigger wire.

If the Relay # 3 (black trigger wire) has voltage, it will go to the # 12 head relay 5-amp fuse, then from there to the starter/reverse switch (brown/red wire, connector then a brown/white wire), then to the dimmer switch (blue/white wire). The dimmer switch will activate the head light relays # 4 and # 8 depending on the setting.

No diode involved..........!

QUOTE=redwing52;4766201]Alright, I was with Dave, then I wasn't, now I am just confused. I tried to find a path for the power to flow from the #3 to the dimmer power and it seems the diode should block the path. I'm not doubting there is a path but with all the spaghetti I can't find it. Now I have a headache and quit. Help me please.[/QUOTE]
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=DBohrer;4766273]Relay
If the relay # 3 was stuck in the closed position (or if the load and trigger pins were shorted together), there would be voltage on the black trigger wire.

If the point set was closed (or shorted) why would the black wire be hot. Am I missing something? Wrong schematic?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:53 PM

Must have changed between 91 and 94. The 91 book shows what you mean. I get it! Thanks Dave. Gotta go rest my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled1.jpg (58.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Untitledz.jpg (58.4 KB, 4 views)

Mike

post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Quote:

Good catch...........!!

Wow. I'm impressed by the 'smarts' contained in these pages. I'm pretty darn good with air conditioning electric and controls, and not bad with most other things. But, these bikes are a real challenge. I guess it doesn't hurt to be working on them a lot, and for a long period of time. You Da Men ! (That's plural, as in both of you)

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:00 PM

If the "load" pin and "trigger pin" in the relay was shorted together, the black trigger wire (connected to the trigger pin) would have voltage. This is the same black wire that comes from the ignition switch when turned ON. Except in this case, the ignition switch would be OFF but that black wire would still have voltage (from the load pin). Remember the "load" pin is always hot.....!

[quote=redwing52;4766305]
Quote:
Relay

If the point set was closed (or shorted) why would the black wire be hot. Am I missing something? Wrong schematic?
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 PM

My 1996 and 1999 manual shows as I described. I think your 1994 manual should show the same. Is it the Honda manual....??

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Must have changed between 91 and 94. The 91 book shows what you mean. I get it! Thanks Dave. Gotta go rest my head.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page