1990 GL1500 dies in gear - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 19Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
dadztoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgetown, Tennessee, USA
Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Posts: 1,744
Garage
justwingnit,

have you electronically checked (ohmeter) the reverse switch that is actuated by the reverse lever??? This sure sounds like a reverse microswitch issue to me... Almost sounds like only 1/2 the switch is working...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dadztoy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Erdeniz Umman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Türkiye
Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Posts: 1,315
Once again, I suspect the side stand switch and its wiring.

My theory is side stand switch or wiring does not send input to ECM which causes engine die, and does not send input to reverse control unit which causes reverse not to work.
Erdeniz Umman is offline  
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:29 PM
I think I was wrong once!
 
justwingnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cedar Lake, Indiana, 46303
Year: 1990
Make: GL1500
Model: 1990 GL 1500
Posts: 380
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdeniz Umman View Post
Once again, I suspect the side stand switch and its wiring.

My theory is side stand switch or wiring does not send input to ECM which causes engine die, and does not send input to reverse control unit which causes reverse not to work.
how would you recommend I test this? At this time that switch is not even on the bike. removed completely, and at the bike side of plug the green /green whit wires are jumed

L8r
Larry
1990 GL 1500 just got her 3/8/16
1986 GL1200A Aspencade, from 6/1/12 to 3/1/2016 have rode over 28,000 miles on her.
1982 KZ 1100 may have put 10000 miles on it in 10 years
Multiple Yamaha XS 750 & XS 850 One had a vetter fairing, bags and trunk
Honda CB400 Drove from Chicago to Tulsa Ok in 1984
Honda CB250 Enduro loved it from street to dirt and back again all the time.
YZ 250 never raced but rode alot, First bike ever was a mini bike with a Brigs engine.
justwingnit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator
 
AZgl1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oologah, Indian Territory, USA...
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Posts: 56,270
Garage
I am just a neophyte to electronics, passed my FCC Telecommunications exams for Radio Telephone 1st Class back in 1959..... 5 years of college in electroncis, and 50+ years of diagnoziing these thangs ever since.....

and those Honda diagrams are created by specialists in how to cornfuse the most edjukated ijit on this planet...

in plain English, it is not easy to plow thru these wiring diagrams, and it is so easy to get mislead as to what the functions are... and a lot of is "Reverse Logic".

and, the starter will not work if the Reverse is activated.... period.... how can it?
the starter motor is the power to run the reverse gearing.



NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AZgl1800 is offline  
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,383
What you describe is very confusing to me. It is hard to assign a single issue to the symptoms. For instance, the radio mutes. That is controlled by the start switch but the switch should be OK if it starts the bike???? The bike cuts off when not in neutral makes everyone think sidestand switch but you say no??? No reverse light working??? If it were me I think of it this way. What is the easiest way to solve the issue. We know the engine quits when it shouldn't. Lets run through the wiring at the electronic control module and see if there are any issues there. That is...is everything there that should be when it should be. If you can find an anomaly there it might lead us to the root cause as you chase it backwards. I will attach 2 pages. It is pretty self explanatory. You can test the input at the ECM to be sure all is well there. Just say, the test you did on the sidestand switch. It checks out good but must it be? What if there is a break between the switch and the ECM??? Jumping would not be a valid test However if you ground it at the ECM that is valid. Here is the info if you decide to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (71.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg yyy.jpg (81.3 KB, 7 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is offline  
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Bellboy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brewton, Alabama, USA
Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Posts: 3,231
I don't know if the reverse system is the problem or just a symptom caused by something else. The engine shutting off when you put it in gear does sound like something is wrong with the sidestand switch or its wiring.
I would try following along in those pdf files and make the tests it says for the problem with the reverse. You might sneak up on the trouble that way.
You might want to PM DBohrer to see what he thinks. He is good on these electrical problems and probably has a wiring diagram for the 90 model.
redwing52 and Erdeniz Umman like this.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

Bellboy40 is online now  
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Bellboy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brewton, Alabama, USA
Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Posts: 3,231
Mike and I were typing at the same time. I would suggest going through those tests at the ECU also. That will check to be sure the ECU is actually getting the signals from each switch or other input.
Erdeniz Umman likes this.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

Bellboy40 is online now  
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 PM
I think I was wrong once!
 
justwingnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cedar Lake, Indiana, 46303
Year: 1990
Make: GL1500
Model: 1990 GL 1500
Posts: 380
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
......
and, the starter will not work if the Reverse is activated.... period.... how can it?
the starter motor is the power to run the reverse gearing.
After dong a bunch of reading it hit me the starter is starting the bike so the reverse cant be stuck on, then then you post the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
What you describe is very confusing to me. It is hard to assign a single issue to the symptoms. For instance, the radio mutes. That is controlled by the start switch but the switch should be OK if it starts the bike???? The bike cuts off when not in neutral makes everyone think sidestand switch but you say no??? No reverse light working??? If it were me I think of it this way. What is the easiest way to solve the issue. We know the engine quits when it shouldn't. Lets run through the wiring at the electronic control module and see if there are any issues there. That is...is everything there that should be when it should be. If you can find an anomaly there it might lead us to the root cause as you chase it backwards. I will attach 2 pages. It is pretty self explanatory. You can test the input at the ECM to be sure all is well there. Just say, the test you did on the sidestand switch. It checks out good but must it be? What if there is a break between the switch and the ECM??? Jumping would not be a valid test However if you ground it at the ECM that is valid. Here is the info if you decide to do so.
I am seeing what your saying so starting at the ECM is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post
I don't know if the reverse system is the problem or just a symptom caused by something else. The engine shutting off when you put it in gear does sound like something is wrong with the sidestand switch or its wiring.
I would try following along in those pdf files and make the tests it says for the problem with the reverse. You might sneak up on the trouble that way.
You might want to PM DBohrer to see what he thinks. He is good on these electrical problems and probably has a wiring diagram for the 90 model.
With the side stand switch connected the side stand light comes on and off as the stand is moved from up to down. So I felt it was good, then someone asked if I physically jumped the green & Green whit wires so I removed the side switch and then the side cover and did jump them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post
Mike and I were typing at the same time. I would suggest going through those tests at the ECU also. That will check to be sure the ECU is actually getting the signals from each switch or other input.
I'll start at the ECU tomorrow and see whats up unless DBohrer or someone comes up with something

L8r
Larry
1990 GL 1500 just got her 3/8/16
1986 GL1200A Aspencade, from 6/1/12 to 3/1/2016 have rode over 28,000 miles on her.
1982 KZ 1100 may have put 10000 miles on it in 10 years
Multiple Yamaha XS 750 & XS 850 One had a vetter fairing, bags and trunk
Honda CB400 Drove from Chicago to Tulsa Ok in 1984
Honda CB250 Enduro loved it from street to dirt and back again all the time.
YZ 250 never raced but rode alot, First bike ever was a mini bike with a Brigs engine.
justwingnit is offline  
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 PM
It aint rocket science
 
DriverRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Glastonbury, Connecticut, USA
Model: The best
Posts: 3,779
You will probably end up finding a loose wire connector or diode problem, plastic removal required.

For the reverse lever not feeling right, with engine off and lever up will the machine roll?
redwing52 likes this.

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
DriverRider is offline  
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,383
Larry,
Now that we know a little more about your experience we can be more generic. Before you go to far maybe try this. At the lever switch check to be sure there is no power on the Wh/Blu. Not in reverse, kill and ignition on.

At the sidestand switch we need a good ground on the green wire at all times period. The green/white should have some voltage if you check it with a meter. Maybe not a test light. I am thinking it might fail one the tests just listed. If it fails on the green wire that wire is broke or poorly connected between the plug and ground. If the voltage test on the green white fails the wire has an issue between the plug and terminal #6 of the ECM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (103.5 KB, 9 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is offline  
Closed Thread

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1990 GL1500 dies & restarts in a few min GOKART Goldwing Technical Forum 19 09-11-2014 10:09 AM
GL1500 clutch problems, dies when put into gear Bigbill55 Goldwing Technical Forum 18 07-16-2014 11:09 PM
1991 GL1500 se dies when shifting into gear 91 Goldwing Man Goldwing Technical Forum 30 10-01-2012 09:22 PM
GL1500 Engine dies when I put it in to gear? ritisrider Goldwing Technical Forum 24 09-26-2012 11:22 PM
GL1500 Side Stand. Bike dies when I put it in gear CKat Goldwing Technical Forum 6 09-09-2012 06:18 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome