Brake Issue - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Brake Issue

Good evening I replaced my fork seals on my GL 1200 I got everthing put back together but now when I put my bakes on foot break and hand break I am getting a noise like the tire is rubbing something and the bike is pulling to the left. I took the breaks back apart and cleaned everything on both sides, the bike is still making the noise and pulling to the left. It was not doing this before I replaced the seals. What have I got wrong? I don't know what else to do.

Patriot Guard Rider #144639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Busdriver

Model: GL1500, 172,000 KM
Did you remember the axle spacer?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to McFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to McFirefighter Send a message via Skype™ to McFirefighter
Axle spacer ? I replaced everything back the way it was when I took it apart. Dont know what axle spacer your referring to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Did you remove the rotors from the wheel?

Did you check to see if the pad springs are seated right?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:46 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFirefighter View Post
Good evening I replaced my fork seals on my GL 1200 I got everthing put back together but now when I put my bakes on foot break and hand break I am getting a noise like the tire is rubbing something and the bike is pulling to the left. I took the breaks back apart and cleaned everything on both sides, the bike is still making the noise and pulling to the left. It was not doing this before I replaced the seals. What have I got wrong? I don't know what else to do.
Are the forks installed (bottomed out) properly? If one is too high or low the tire could rub and pull when braking. Do you have the fork brace on with the front facing forward? Might sound dumb but I have put the pads in facing the wrong way on cars. It makes a hell of a noise. The metal part has to face away from the rotor.

I think Busdriver is thinking rear brakes and axle????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did not remove the rotors from the wheels, and there was not any springs on the pads. And when the forks are put back together there is no why to get one higher then the other
I didnt remove the upper fork from frame. So I dont know how one could be higher then the other. I put everything back together like it was when I took it apart. I have
know idea what is different. I know that the left brake is the front break and the right one works off the foot break. Are both of them suppose to work off the foot break?.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
No- the foot pedal is intended to work the rear and 1 front,
which side front varies with generation/engine,,yours is right side, 1500s its left side
While you can easily stop the Wing with 1 finger on front brake, its good to be in the habit of using rear for more power and stability,
then use front only as you come to a stop.
That leaves both feet ready to plant on the ground for safety.

Tip- to prevent unexpected tip-over while stopped, always stop and start off with the front wheel pointed straight ahead.
If anything bad happens in front of you- or comes from the side...and you have to grab the brakes, the bike wont succumb
to the physics of gravity and tire angle
Happens even to very experienced Wing riders- we have video proof on here!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page