• 1 Post By DBohrer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
RH2

Year: 1988
Make: Honda
Model: 1500/6
1500/6 foot brake no pressure

I have an 88 1500/6. not riding enough so a punishment it drives me crazy by loosing hydraulic pressure in foot brake pedal. If bleed f/b brake caliper works fine, but after sitting 7-8 months loose it again.
No fluid is missing and no puddles on floor. Is this an alien visit issue
as I've seen used here ? Last time I used vacuum pump got lot of small air bubbles out. thought I solved. I saw a post about tie down pedal overnight to let trapped air out. so thinking with time that air is seeping and gathering at high point at front brake hose. Should I try tie down pedal and bleed that way??? Oh when working do have a bit of excess pedal travel. will low pads cause either of this? [how many miles expect from pads, have about 10k on these] pumping pedal does not help. Bike only has 44k miles, I bought 10 yrs ago at 34k---- yeah I know. Doesn't help $/mi service work, accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Unfortunately the master is almost certainly the culprit. The cups are no longer resilient and when you push the pedal down the fluid goes right by the seal and returns to the master reservoir. Might try stabbing the brake a few times in hopes you can make the seal "grab" but you will probably be revisiting the issue until you repair it permanently.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:37 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Are you bleeding the (left?) front first? If you don't, air bubbles can hide in that line.

Welcome to the forum.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
I would start by completely bleeding the rear brake system (which includes the left front brake caliper).

Remove the old fluid from the rear brake master cylinder. Refill with new DOT 4 brake fluid.

Bleed the left front caliper first.

Bleed the rear brake caliper second.

You may need to do this a couple of times to get all the air out of the system. (Doing more than once is not uncommon)

If this does not get results, then follow recommendations from redwing52.

Easy things first..................!!

Oh, How many miles to get from brake pads largely depends on quality of pads and brake use. Some folks are easy on brakes while others are not easy on brakes. Engine braking helps extend brake pad life.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Honda Guru

Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
I had the same problem. Replaced the master cylinder kit and new brake lines. Seems to have worked but it's only been @ 3 months
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post

Oh, How many miles to get from brake pads largely depends on quality of pads and brake use. Some folks are easy on brakes while others are not easy on brakes. Engine braking helps extend brake pad life.
I rarely apply brakes until I am around 30 mph or so....
makes a lot of difference in pad life.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
RH2

Model: 1500/6
that sounds logical. So would it make sense then that the seals are "grabbing" when I do the bleed and then collapse after time because just sitting/ not being used? which then leads to theory that once I bleed the brakes keep riding the *** thing and I won't have to service master lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH2 View Post
that sounds logical. So would it make sense then that the seals are "grabbing" when I do the bleed and then collapse after time because just sitting/ not being used? which then leads to theory that once I bleed the brakes keep riding the *** thing and I won't have to service master lol
Might last a while but it won't get more resilient with time of course

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
One of the things about the front-rear brake system is that air will get caught in the front line because it goes down the up then down. The trick I have told others is to get a one-man Bleeder from somewhere like AutoZone. Then put something heavy on the brake pedal pushing it all the way down or tie it down. I just use a sledge hammer and let it sit for 5 or 6 hours. What you will notice is that usually a large air bubble will be in the one-man brake bleeder hose. Ok some things I forgot to say put the one-man bleeder on the bike but tie it up so it is above the caliper and open the valve so the fluid will flow into the hose. Always bleed the front brake first then the back truly it works much better if you do so.
As for the front brake open the reservoir use paper towels to get all the fluid out then clean out all the black junk you will find in the bottom of the reservoir. Then fill it back up with new fluid and bleed the brakes. A lot of the gunk finds its way back up the lines into the reservoir and that can end up plugging the return hole. When you bleed the front brake all you do is push that gunk into the hose and believe me it will percolate back into the reservoir.
I actually recommend to all Wingers I know to empty the reservoir and clean it at the beginning of every riding season. Then you just fill it back up with clean fluid and let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes any air will percolate back up into and there is no need to bleed the brakes, But whatever you do don't pull the brake lever until at least 10 to 20 minutes have passed!!!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:55 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Some times its best to try the easiest options first.

What will you loose by doing a complete system bleed then go from there.

There is bleeding then there is bleeding......depends on the wrench.......!!!! (No offense intended)

It could very well be the seals but I wouldn't jump there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH2 View Post
Bike...and Dennis likes this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > General > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page