9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
as now, for your other questions, most LED H4 bulbs have a heatsink on the back and a small fan. every brand makes it different.. also some bulbs have a small box that appears to be a some sort of ballast. if the cord is long enough you may be able to put it somewhere above the headlight hosing behind the garish bracket, i would not recommend it into the fairing because it gets really hot (at least the ones that i am running on my bike do, depends on brand and output)

some bulbs dont have this ballast device because the light output is less and dont need it.

if you want to buy online here is one that you can be sure it will fit, the headsink and fan are installed in front of the bulb into the headlight housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-True...cAAOSwYSlXh-YD

if you're going to purchase locally and see them physically before purchasing you may be able to tell if it will fit behind the headlight but IIRC the space between the fairing and the headlight nousing is very small on the 1200gl and i dont think you will be able to fit any led bulb with heatsink on the back.

i recommend to purchase the one with heatsink on the front as it may have a greater light output than those plain led bulbs that dont have heatsink at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I would NOT under any circumstances use them for anything except "driving lights" on a bar to make the bike look HUGE down the road to oncoming traffic.

They are not near good enough for use as a Headlight.
HIDs on the other hand, will light up th highway for a mile.... I can read the overhead interstate signs for way over a half mile clear enough I can read the info.
Im sorry to disagree with you John, at first i was skeptical like you, but led technology has improved that has knocked out the HID.

i am running LED h4 bulbs on my valkyrie and it has greater output than HID lights, i've used them on the highways at night and feel really confident as i am able to see everything in front of me riding at the indicated speed limited.
DaveO430 likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Thanks for the good info William.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Year: 1989
Make: gl1500
Model: 1500 se
I installed a hid kit in my 1500 about a year ago and the result was less than inspiring. There was loads of light, but it was dissipated everywhere apart from where it was actually needed and there was a blue hue that made it very hard to see road signs. I eventually pulled it out after trying all sorts of adjustment with no improvement. I am quite happy now with the stronger halogens that I installed.
I have been reading about these fan cooled led,s for a while now but I think Ill wait and see someone else,s efforts in this regard before I try the led,s out.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Garage
I had 8000k xenon installed and hated it. Blueish tint is just for show and even dangerous when it's wet, switched for 4300 or 5000k that's pure white like halogen. In the other hand, led light is white as snow.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Model: 84 Aspencade
yes the fan on the back would probably cause problems? and a person doesn't know what is behind the dash to just wildly go in there with the grinding tool and grind out plastic behind the bulb to get it to fit w/o getting into something in the dash. the reflective stuff glued on the lens mirror is a good idea; I have done that in the background of my tail lights on things with aluminum foil and RTV sealant as the glue to hold it in there, that helps a lot on the light output. since most ppl idea of "appropriate following distance" is NUTT TO BUTT @ any speed... that way they can be the FIRST ONES TO THE ACCIDENT.

the LED bulb is just ONE LITTLE BITTY LIGHT? whereas the regular bulbs are 360 degree of light? if it wasn't such a chore to get in there, more than once, I would try various ones until I got the right one I thought was best. I already have 100 watt xenon bulbs to replace the one that is in there... but IS IT TOO HOT/too much current for the housing/switch/wiring???? don't want to cook the wiring/burn the bike down to the ground. the Silverstar Ultra's are not worth the COST/effort to put them in due to minimal light output increase, right?

if we could just have a common consensus on THIS ONE WILL WORK ON THE 1200, THIS IS WHAT U NEED TO HAVE IF U WANT MORE LIGHT/BE SEEN, IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT, doesn't cost too much, etc.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I didn't find the Silverstar to be much, if any, improvement. Maybe, with two of them like on the 1500, you'd see more improvement.

I've decided to try the "re-covering the reflector" trick. I have the extra '85 unit in case it doesn't work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222170066304...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I plan on doing pics and testing output with a light meter, so this won't be a guessing game.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 AM

Garage
Stay away from.100watt bulbs, you will melt your connector overheat the wiring and probably damage the starter or dimmer switch. Stay with the 55/50w or go the better way with a HID Xenon bulb that mostly draws 35W or even better the led type of bulb.
AZgl1800 and DaveO430 like this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Model: 84 Aspencade
ok, no 100 watt bulb (that I already have, not installed). the HID I have is 55 watt (it gets is main power from the battery through a 20 gauge wire, it is small wire. the 2 other wires just switch the light from hi to low)... but where to put the little black box, it wont fit in the headlight area, right? so have to dremel out a hole... somewhere in the fairing and put the little black box... if the leads were long enough I would put the black box inside the faux gas tank Velcro'ed or hot glued to the inside of the faux tank.

the Silverstar ULTRAS are not worth the extra effort to change them out for the minimal light increase, if any, ok. I think the inside of the lens background is ok being a desert bike...but... left outside in the elements...dust?

the new reflective background is a good idea... if it is MUCH of an improvement over the original background in the headlite lens? with hands like feet, doing fine/quality work/skills are a problem... watch repair is OUT!!! too many times I have "fixed" things and the end result was, shall we say... NOT WORTH THE WORK INVOLVED.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Myers View Post
ok, no 100 watt bulb (that I already have, not installed). the HID I have is 55 watt (it gets is main power from the battery through a 20 gauge wire, it is small wire. the 2 other wires just switch the light from hi to low)... but where to put the little black box, it wont fit in the headlight area, right? so have to dremel out a hole... somewhere in the fairing and put the little black box... if the leads were long enough I would put the black box inside the faux gas tank Velcro'ed or hot glued to the inside of the faux tank.

the Silverstar ULTRAS are not worth the extra effort to change them out for the minimal light increase, if any, ok. I think the inside of the lens background is ok being a desert bike...but... left outside in the elements...dust?

the new reflective background is a good idea... if it is MUCH of an improvement over the original background in the headlite lens? with hands like feet, doing fine/quality work/skills are a problem... watch repair is OUT!!! too many times I have "fixed" things and the end result was, shall we say... NOT WORTH THE WORK INVOLVED.

i lost all the pics that i had when i did mods to my 1200, but the ballast was mounted above the headlight bucket, there is a hole behind the chrome garnish bracket. the other box that controls the high and low beam i managed to fit it inside the fairing from the right side of the bike (throttle) IIRC thats thats the side where there is a hole for the original bulb plug. if not, well use the left side. my bike as an interstate so there was no compressor or radio stuff on the fairing, i did not had to modify the fairing to fit anything.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page