Can i use LED HEADLITE on 1200A? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:27 PM

Year: 1977
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000
Ok Ill get all kinds of flack for saying this but after spending a WEEK looking at upgrades for the GL1000 on another forum "candlepower"
Getting completely pissed off at the moderators attitudes on ANYTHING but stock lights and all the laws and regulations I was breaking etc etc etc by putting blinkers other than stock on my bike (INCLUDING THE ONES THAT APPLY TO THE MANUFACTURERS but not me as the end user)

This is what I learned.

There is NO ... NONE..... Doesnt exist at this time PERIOD. (not gonna argue dont care but its true one more time NONE) HID refit bulb using your stock reflector worth a crap. (I do agree with this after doing the research on it)

now read that again and but put LED where I put HID

there are different reasons for the HIDs than the LEDs HIDs put out so much light they are also blinding oncomming traffic etc but they put out ALOT of light. bad Idea to blind oncomming traffic on a bike IMO.
LEDs are extreemly bright but they HAVE TO HAVE like HIDS reflectors designed specifically for them. Lighting companies are apparently working on that but so far according to those guys they havent gotten there (supposedly Sylvania is working on a LED retrofit using the H4 reflector If they figure it out ....)

so the general consensous is you have to buy a light LED/HID KIT with the reflector to get a good light and not the cheap ones.
I have no intrest in the HID so I didnt do a lot of looking at it but I can tell you the current LED and HID setups I saw being recommended start at about 175 - 200 and go UP. WAY UP. I saw lights for 800 EACH (below....JW SPEAKER) the LED will soon completely overtake the HID systems I believe for headlights but right now the prices are NUTS

All that said Check out Daniel Stern and send him an email... tell him what you have and ask for his help. guy has GREAT customer service and will answer questions and he knows his stuff and you get that talking to him. Please tell him I sent you to him, I told him would pimp him simply for his customer service. He took the time to recommend lights he doesnt even sell for turn signals and brakes among other things and I havent spent a penny with the guy.... thats customer service.

From me to him

>Whats the deal with the automotive LEDs on the market?
> trying to be too cheap or just immaturity in the industry

>>Neither. It's mostly trinket factories in China turning out
>>toys. The bulbs I linked are legitimate, from
>>a legitimate company. Most of what's on the market
>>does not come from within the automotive industry, it comes
>>from the Chinese toy industry.

The light he recommended for me was not a LED and Not a HID its a H4 type reflector using a H13 bulb and its not cheap either $150

So there is my knowledge of the lighting issue for you but I would at least contact Daniel and ask.

I was using Surefire flashlights when they first came out on the market and making people with Maglights mad so I do understand that GOOD lighting on the cutting edge costs money but when you start seeing stuff like this

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/j...harley-touring

In action

Really cool

WAY outa my pricerange.

have fun with the lighting industry and im sorry if I stepped on toes.

Larry
CrystalPistol likes this.

Last edited by Larrys1911; 08-24-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: sorry for the spelling and punctuation im eating lunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrys1911 View Post

There is NO ... NONE..... Doesnt exist at this time PERIOD. (not gonna argue dont care but its true one more time NONE) HID refit bulb using your stock reflector worth a crap. (I do agree with this after doing the research on it)
You are right on some of it but wrong on some, depends on the vehicle. Put HIDs in a GL1800 (H7 bulbs) and they are wonderful, exact same light pattern as H7s but way brighter. In my 97 civic (H4s) they are bright but still terrible ,scatter light everywhere, those cars have the worst headlights of anything since 6 volt & HIDs don't help much. My 94 chevy silverado (H9006s), they work great. My son's 89 BMW (H9006s), they work great. You are probably right that if it takes an H4 bulb, they won't work very well.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
some xenon bulbs have no shields and are designed for off road use only, such as this one:

this bulb will definitely blind all incoming drivers, it will reflect the light like a flashlight.

this kind of xenon bulb has a shield and it will work as a regular bulb

the same applies to the LED bulbs,

as the regular hallgen h4 bulbs have a small shield inside that blocks the light to prevent from hitting on the lower side of the reflector. while the high beam lights all around it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Maybe not everyone ..... but it reads like a few want greater light output "period" with little thought to pattern or what it's doing to that oncoming rider or driver.

My GL1200 headlight is still like perfect in the reflector and I have a spare wrapped and stored .... I run a Sylvania XV H-4 bulb and adjust aim on high beam level as I ride when it get's dark and I flip on the two 37.5 watt sealed beam halogen Unity "fog" lights that fill in the area between me and the high beams reach.

Even then, when meeting cars on Rt 340 or other two lane roadway, I will still sometimes flip the fogs off if alignment of roadway calls for it ..... like if I'm coming from above the other driver like off a crest, etc.

As a "side note" since discussing single lights ..... my '74 Triumph came with a 35/40 watt Lucas 7" headlight. When I was younger, it never seemed weak .... but then one night as I was coming home a buddy was following me with his HD and his twin headlights from behind made mine disappear. I found a Carello 7" H-4 conversion headlight soon there after, it fit the Lucas bucket like a champ! Wired the high and low beams through relays tripped by the switches, bypassed the old zener & rectifier for a Typanium electronic reg/rectifier .... same 120 watt alternator .... and that Carello with standard H-4 bulb is amazing. Very sharp / distinct cutoff at top of low beam looks like a pencil line out there, flip to high .... and it reaches "out there". After that, next time he was behind me at night .... no more washing mine out.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Model: 84 Aspencade
LED vs HID (XENON) vs HALOGEN - HEADLIGHTS COMPARED.... on u tube

In fact human eyesight deteriorates above 6000K. The shorter the wavelengths, the less green-red cones are being aroused. Blue cones need much more illuminance to give similar light intensity expirience. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision#/media/File:Eyesensitivity.svg
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 PM

Model: 1995 GL-1500 SE Trike
SoCal motogear has LED replacement bulbs for GL1500s that are dynamite especially if you upgraded the headlamp Assm to the 2000 and up clear lens unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr Magic Fingers likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:31 PM
Wig

HID conversion help 1200

I did a conversion from halogen to hid on my 1200 search ( How to install HID headlight on a GL 1200 )
I did it in 2009 and am just now having to replace the ballast (but since its 7 years old i am probably going to just replace the whole setup again. Don't know about led replacement though

shaaaazam!
I can fix that.

Doc! I gotta get back 1989.

84 GL1200 Interstate 75K
89 5.0 hatch 200K+ (yes I know its not a bike)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page