1990 GL1500-Bike Losses All Power When Turn Signals Activated - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing 1500
1990 GL1500-Bike Losses All Power When Turn Signals Activated

Hello Everyone,
I have developed a problem recently with my bike shutting down, as if you turned the key off, when I activate the turn signals. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, everything goes dead, no lights, no horn, no 4 way flashers, and it won't restart. It doesn't matter if the bike was running or just turned on, or if I'm driving down the highway. When I wait a couple minutes, the bike powers back up and starts back up like nothing has happened. I've tried a lot of different things to try and find the problem, but I'm running out of ideas. I've checked all the fuses and looked at all the relays, shook the hell out of the wires, but no luck. The thing that puzzles me, is after it all shuts down, it'll come back up in a couple of minutes. I have replaced the battery and had the charging system checked at a dealership and they said it is fine.

Any ideas........I'm stumped. Don't know what to do or what to check next.

1990 Honda GL1500
1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate
1979 Honda CX500
1974 Yamaha 500 DOHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Busdriver

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500, 172,000 KM
I would start by inspecting the multi pin block connector at the end of the turn signal harness. I think it is brown and plugs into the wiring harness and is located above the left side rad fan.
Check the condition of all the pins carefully, as well as the backside of the block where the wires enter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:20 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
What work has been performed on the machine in the last year and what type of accessories are installed?
redwing52 likes this.

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:06 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
After the ordeal with mine with the relays,yours sounds like what mine was doing,I would get it running,turn it off and it wouldn't start,no lights.What I finally found was the female ends that the relays inserts into were too loose to make a good connection,I tightened mine up and new relays and now it's all good.
A Great Big Thanks to Dave Boher for all his timeless help.
The main ones to look at are #3 and cruise/ign,
Aloha Tom likes this.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
I would suggest you remove the dogbone fuse and really give it a look over. Might be you have an issue there and with the turn lights it is just a little too much draw for the issue to handle. . Cools and all is well again. Because you lose the horn I doubt it is the relay issue. There is no horn relay. The horn runs right off the fuse.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Just want to be sure we have the exact/correct symptoms....!!

Does this ONLY HAPPEN when you activate the turn signals...???

Or does it happen at other times....???

When the bike shuts off that indicates an interruption to the ignition circuit.

It appears to me there is only one interface between the turn signal switch and the ignition circuit..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_opus2001 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have developed a problem recently with my bike shutting down, as if you turned the key off, when I activate the turn signals. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, everything goes dead, no lights, no horn, no 4 way flashers, and it won't restart. It doesn't matter if the bike was running or just turned on, or if I'm driving down the highway. When I wait a couple minutes, the bike powers back up and starts back up like nothing has happened. I've tried a lot of different things to try and find the problem, but I'm running out of ideas. I've checked all the fuses and looked at all the relays, shook the hell out of the wires, but no luck. The thing that puzzles me, is after it all shuts down, it'll come back up in a couple of minutes. I have replaced the battery and had the charging system checked at a dealership and they said it is fine.

Any ideas........I'm stumped. Don't know what to do or what to check next.
redwing52 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Hey Mike, I don't have a 1990 Honda manual but I do have a 1989 Honda Manual. The 1989 manual only shows the 55-amp Dog Bone fuse providing voltage to four relays 1)stop light, 2) head light low, 3) head light high, 4) tail main. None of them are in the ignition circuit and a faulty Dog Bone fuse would not disable the ignition circuit.

Does your 1990 Honda manual show the same wiring...? Or is the 1990 wired different...?

Inquiring mind would like to know.........Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I would suggest you remove the dogbone fuse and really give it a look over. Might be you have an issue there and with the turn lights it is just a little too much draw for the issue to handle. . Cools and all is well again. Because you lose the horn I doubt it is the relay issue. There is no horn relay. The horn runs right off the fuse.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
You say it shuts everything down. Are you losing the radio memory and clock setting?

If so, that would indicate the battery circuit. If not, then it would be the ignition circuit.
redwing52 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Hey Mike, I don't have a 1990 Honda manual but I do have a 1989 Honda Manual. The 1989 manual only shows the 55-amp Dog Bone fuse providing voltage to four relays 1)stop light, 2) head light low, 3) head light high, 4) tail main. None of them are in the ignition circuit and a faulty Dog Bone fuse would not disable the ignition circuit.

Does your 1990 Honda manual show the same wiring...? Or is the 1990 wired different...?

Inquiring mind would like to know.........Thanks...
Well we are in a real pickle Dave. I was going by my 1991 and I thought the 88 and 89's were the same and from there up were the same. I thought I learned that from you but maybe not. I guess it can't hurt to check as the dogbone feeds the Ign./Cruise, Headlight, Tail Main air pump and stop lights for the 91. You could be right or maybe he will get lucky???

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:33 AM

Hey Mike, Please double check your 1991 Honda manual for me regarding what the 55-amp Dog Bone fuse powers.

Based on my 1996 and 1999 Honda manuals, the Dog Bone fuse only feeds the 1) horn/turn relay, 2) stop light relay, 3) head light relay, 4) tail main relay and 5) air pump relay.

The ignition/cruise relay gets its power from the ignition switch (not the Dog Bone fuse).

Note: The ignition/cruise relay does have a "white" wire for main input power as does the fuses for the relays listed above.

I believe the other years from 1990 up are the same. But could be wrong.....!!

I do know for sure the 1988 - 1989 years are the same and the ignition/cruise relay does get its main power from the 55-amp Dog Bone fuse.

Edited: I was wrong...........1990 - 1992 not the same as I indicated above for my 1996 and 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Well we are in a real pickle Dave. I was going by my 1991 and I thought the 88 and 89's were the same and from there up were the same. I thought I learned that from you but maybe not. I guess it can't hurt to check as the dogbone feeds the Ign./Cruise, Headlight, Tail Main air pump and stop lights for the 91. You could be right or maybe he will get lucky???
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page