Stainless brake line nightmare - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 11:00 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
I wonder if there wasn't an adapter that you did not get. The bottom picture looks like flat face O-ring. I bet the flat face O-ring adapter is still on the donor bike. I'm sure it is very special and the only way you will get that line to work is to go back to the seller and ask for the rest of the line.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Model: '86 Aspy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
You don't know that. His could have leaked, or he might have had something modified.
I got the line in two pieces, with the lower stainless line still joined to the center metal line. That connection is sealing just fine and doesn't leak. I haven't cracked it open yet so I don't know if there is a conical washer in there or something - I'll do that today, nothing to lose by checking now that the upper threads are toast. It's when I tried to connect the upper line that I ran into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I wonder if there wasn't an adapter that you did not get. The bottom picture looks like flat face O-ring. I bet the flat face O-ring adapter is still on the donor bike. I'm sure it is very special and the only way you will get that line to work is to go back to the seller and ask for the rest of the line.
Interesting thought, some kind of adapter might work here. But it's definitely not a flat-face - more like a funnel, and a flat o-ring wouldn't seal. I'll check if the lower line has some kind of adapter on it when I split it.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: '93 GL1500 SE "Blue Angel"
Send a message via Skype™ to gipsy42
Quote:
Originally Posted by

The metal line end looks like this:

The original line has [SIZE="5"
this little hump inside[/SIZE] that fits the flared opening, I can see how it seals it up.

The new line just has a sort of metal funnel arrangement.

Am I missing some kind of internal piece? .
Yes you're missing the whole point!, please take a close look at both parts, they're totaly different, the old is "male type", it has a Hump to match the flare in the tube, while the new one as you said is a funnel type, Or "female", no matter how much you tight it, it will never fit.
You actually try to match two funnels. It is an impossible task. Sorry about that.

Mario
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
I got the line in two pieces, with the lower stainless line still joined to the center metal line. That connection is sealing just fine and doesn't leak. I haven't cracked it open yet so I don't know if there is a conical washer in there or something - I'll do that today, nothing to lose by checking now that the upper threads are toast. It's when I tried to connect the upper line that I ran into trouble.

Interesting thought, some kind of adapter might work here. But it's definitely not a flat-face - more like a funnel, and a flat o-ring wouldn't seal. I'll check if the lower line has some kind of adapter on it when I split it.
I was trying to say I think you have flat face O-ring. You need inverted flare. I'm thinking the O-ring to inverted flare adapter remains with the donor bike. They took it apart at the wrong place so you are missing that part. .

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 PM

Year: 2003
Make: GL1800
Model: Wing
never seen o-ring anything used for brake line fittings.....
looks like your female nut line is a iso/bubble flare and your male end line is sae/inverted flare. you might find a female flare to iso male fitting at local auto store but otherwise you have incompatible fittings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flares.JPG (50.1 KB, 22 views)
Bike...and Dennis likes this.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewbie View Post
never seen o-ring anything used for brake line fittings.....
looks like your female nut line is a iso/bubble flare and your male end line is sae/inverted flare. you might find a female flare to iso male fitting at local auto store but otherwise you have incompatible fittings
Newbie,
I think you are right. When I looked at the original picture it looked absolutely flat at the bottom to me. Now that I look and READ I see he describes it as being funnel shaped. If you have a flaring tool you can make a bubble flare with a standard flaring tool. It's pretty easy and quite forgiving if you don't get it perfect. Pick a winner.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...flaring%20tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (83.9 KB, 10 views)
CrystalPistol likes this.

Mike

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
or a specialty store that makes hydraulic lines- they are in the phone book.

Maybe the PO `stopped` riding the bike due to this non-braking problem where it ended life as a parts bike in some junkyard--
just guessing

Brakes are something you dont want adapters or rigged up system.
Lopeha made SS lines would be the best choice for trouble free stoppage.
iirc from his ad- you can have about any color combo of line and ends that you want!
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:45 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Yep, bubble flares and double flares are different animals and use their own fittings. Threads on the nuts might be 10mm in both cases and the line 3/16 or 4.5mm ... but that's the end of it.

I too have made a few serviceable non leaking bubble flares with a double flare tool by not completing the second step.

I have the old fashioned flaring set ..... but I'm gonna say now ..... the best cheapest flaring tool set I've used is the Cal Van in line tools. Those self align, it's almost work to screw it up.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Yep, bubble flares and double flares are different animals and use their own fittings. Threads on the nuts might be 10mm in both cases and the line 3/16 or 4.5mm ... but that's the end of it.

I too have made a few serviceable non leaking bubble flares with a double flare tool by not completing the second step.

I have the old fashioned flaring set ..... but I'm gonna say now ..... the best cheapest flaring tool set I've used is the Cal Van in line tools. Those self align, it's almost work to screw it up.
Crystal is correct. It is a double flare that only completes the first function. Roll the tube over and it's done. Get the depth correct though. (the height from the tool clamp to the top of the cut off brake line.) Deburr the inside of the tube.
CrystalPistol likes this.

Mike

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Model: '86 Aspy
I finally had a chance to undo the lower line fitting, and everything makes sense now. Inside was one of these:

A perfectly symmetrical washer/adapter.... thing. And incredibly easy to lose.

So... does anyone know what this little guy is called and where I can get another one? Come to think of it, a local hydraulic/pneumatic store might have something along these lines.

Last edited by eskachig; 09-26-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page