Stainless brake line nightmare - Page 4 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Model: '86 Aspy
Well, today was interesting. I went to four separate "hoses and fittings" type places, and the situation stumped them all. Nobody knew where to get another of those little inserts - or indeed what they are actually called. At one place I lucked into some old-timers and they said something along the lines of "yeah we've seen these before but don't know where people get them". So yeah...

At the last place I more or less gave up and asked them to make me a new upper line - but then the techs were all excited about bringing me some kind of three-adapters daisy chained together contraption. In the ludicrous heat that we have here I didn't insist and just went home - where I realized that they gave me a 3/16th to thread into the 10mm female fitting which threaded together but badly - and the whole thing added too much length to the line anyhow. All of these places advertise that they'll make brake lines while you wait, including for custom applications, and I was a bit surprised they didn't offer me any kind of "this is the right way to do this" solution. Anyway, I'm going back tomorrow to return the adapters and see if they could just do something with the line.

The part I don't understand is why it's not possible to just switch out the fitting. It seems trivial to me, but perhaps the whole problem is that everything is metric and local businesses just don't stock that stuff. Can I just order it somewhere?

The lines are in excellent shape, seems weird I can't just swap in a new fitting.

I threw the lower line on there, still running my original upper rubber line. Things are still pretty spongy. Mostly I'm practicing my bleeding approaches, trying to get some sort of an improvement. Can't tell if it's the remaining rubber line, me not being able to get the air out, MC starting to fail, etc. This bike has never had a decent-feeling front brake - even after I bled it with a commercial vaccum bleeder at Moto Guild, and I'm trying to change that.

Last edited by eskachig; 09-27-2016 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol
My NAPA has a machine shop, they make hoses and stock all kinds of fittings and just about everyone there has been there 20-30 years ..... the delivery guy is maybe 6 years on. I am part time at Advance, we have some fittings, but no where near what the Napa store has.
That's a pretty different situation than we have around here. Our NAPA/O'Reilley's/Autozone stores are pretty skimpy on anything custom or metric and I haven't seen any of them have a machine shop yet. Strictly retail, with an occasional attached shop for oil and tire changes.

Bay area is full of fancy cars and high end tuning shops, but resources for someone working on metric bikes in their garage are pretty crap. Or maybe I just haven't figured out the lay of the land properly.

Last edited by eskachig; 09-27-2016 at 03:08 AM.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
This may seem too easy, but why not get hold of the guy you bought the hose from and ask him to send whatever adapter is missing. After all, didn't he list it as a fit for your bike?
Of course I did that. I'm just not holding out that he'll find it. I suppose I could get my $20 back, but aside from the fact that I can't seem to figure out a way to use them, the lines look perfectly fine. And these things seem so modular that it seems like some kind of an offense against common sense that there isn't some kind of thingimabob I can just order from somewhere. But this world turned out to be a lot more opaque than I realized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
We have tried to get you to quit messing with a pile of junk,

just send a PM to Lopeha and be done with it, once and for all.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...s-offered.html

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Yep, I posted wrong adapters ..... realized it later and came back to change it.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
We have tried to get you to quit messing with a pile of junk,

just send a PM to Lopeha and be done with it, once and for all.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...s-offered.html
I don't think the lines are a pile of junk. The quality seems excellent and they arrived in pretty much mint condition. If that second little conical washer thingie came with them I'd be riding already.

But since nobody seems to know what to do with them, getting a new upper line made does seem to be the only real option.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
It just occurred to me .... if that hose is a standard 3AN (my guess, might be a 2AN but I doubt it) female, you may just need a 3/16 Japanese bubble flare to -3AN adapter.
Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier, maybe because focus was on that "insert" thingy.
I used similar adapters to below to adapt some -3AN SS braided lines to my '77 PU .... just not for bubble flares.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUS-641431-P...-/261944141347

I think maybe R41431 is the one you want, the ebay listing above uses same root number. Page below lists several.
http://www.russellperformance.com/po...pter-fittings/

Something like that could work - but it would have to be a male-female version. But non-flexible attachment at that part of the line start raising it into the dash area on the bike, which is not good either.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:51 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
What about an 1/8" brass ferrule, you can get them anywhere they sell brass fittings. You would want to be sure not to tighten it too tight and collapse the ferrule completely.
Attached Images
File Type: png brass ferrule.png (183.4 KB, 3 views)

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Maybe just my opinion but brakes are to important to me to be Mickey Moused.

Either do it correctly or park it.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:30 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
Something like that could work - but it would have to be a male-female version. But non-flexible attachment at that part of the line start raising it into the dash area on the bike, which is not good either.
Strange as it may seem ..... I was just finishing supper and putting my plate away and it hit me just out of the blue ..... like that guy in my head suddenly had the exact same thought ..... you needed the female bubble flare mated with a male n-3AN end. Come here to "edit" before you saw it and ..... you done seen it.

But wait .... I just looked back at the beginning, the steel line you hold looks like a regular inverted double flare but I can't tell if 3/8-24 sae thread or M10-1 metric thread, the hose looks like maybe a -3AN hose end .... so that bears a second closer look.

I think this is what will work .... but check your threads. Price is decent as well ..... only 5 left.
http://pitstopusa.com/i-5083041-xrp-...d-adapter.html

Or look at Earl's adapters: https://www.anplumbing.com/adapters/brake-adapters.html

989537ERL-310mm x 1.0 Special Shorter Brake Adapter For Honda. Zinc Plated Steel

989545ERL-310mm x 1.0 Brake Adapter -3 To 10mm X 1.0 Inverted Flare Zinc Plated Steel

There are others, in both 3/8-24 and M10-1 threads as you scroll down. You also need to determine that it is indeed a -3AN female end on that hose ....

Quote:
send a PM to Lopeha

Where I got mine for my 1200!

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page