Stainless brake line nightmare - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Model: '86 Aspy
Stainless brake line nightmare

Tired of the perpetually mushy brake lever I picked up a stainless steel line set on ebay. Getting it in place without taking off the fairing was a doozy. And now it leaks. Problem is, I don't really understand how it can not leak. The problem lies where the line from the master cylinder goes into that metal piece that goes across the forks. No matter how hard I tighten it (pretty sure I shouldn't have to he-man it, too, that's a 10mm nut and I almost rounded everything at this point) it leaks.

The metal line end looks like this:

The original line has this little hump inside that fits the flared opening, I can see how it seals it up.

The new line just has a sort of metal funnel arrangement.

Am I missing some kind of internal piece? How is all of this supposed to work? Very confused, spent most of the day on this with nothing to show for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Googling around shows that there are little conical copper washers I can get that that will let the flare mate a little easier. Maybe I can find them locally somewhere...
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
As you suspect it will not work.
Where did you get the lines and are all the flare fittings like that?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

On ebay, from a 1200 that was being parted out. I haven't checked the other fitting yet, it's still connected - and doesn't seem to leak.

I'm starting to suspect the threads on the center piece, it won't screw in cleanly into my old lines either. I still have my original center piece I can swap in, but don't want to ruin it if there is no chance it will work. I guess I need to do some more research on this.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 03:09 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The problem is, you don't have the correct style of line fittings.

We have a forum member who provides the exact SS lines at near cost to forum members. And I can't recall anyone saying they had a leak.

GO to the For Sale forum and in the Stickys under the username LOPEHA find the SS thread , add a post there. Andy will answer you right away.
Aloha Tom likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 09-27-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

The thing that weirds me out is that the fitting that was screwed in when it got here seems fine, no leaks. I'm assuming that both are the same. Somehow the previous owner made it work.

I'm really starting to think that the threads on that middle piece were the problem. My original cross piece threads into the new line cleanly with just my fingers, before hitting a well defined stop - I feel like if I got some flare wrenches and did the "loosen and tighten a few times" trick I've read about it will seal. The one that came with the new lines didn't do that, and I didn't think to double check - it was probably already cross-threaded a little and then I cranked on it some more.

I'll try again tomorrow with the right tools, and if it just won't work I guess I'll order a new line from a trusted source.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 05:37 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskachig View Post

I'm really starting to think that the threads on that middle piece were the problem. My original cross piece threads into the new line cleanly with just my fingers, before hitting a well defined stop - I feel like if I got some flare wrenches and did the "loosen and tighten a few times" trick I've read about it will seal. The one that came with the new lines didn't do that, and I didn't think to double check - it was probably already cross-threaded a little and then I cranked on it some more.
It is just plain and simple the wrong type of fitting, tightening it more won't fix that.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Well that does seem to be the consensus here, hmm.

What is the correct type of fitting called and what does it look like? And why is it that only one of the lines leaks?
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The threads are NOT the sealing surface.

it is that raised area in the center of the connector, the "flare" that seals the line.

the threads only serve to keep that flared fitting securely together.

you must replace the lines altogether.
either with the SS lines I referred to above, or OEM lines.

the SS lines from Lopeha are the best choice.

~ John

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 10:42 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
Somehow the previous owner made it work.

You don't know that. His could have leaked, or he might have had something modified.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page