98 1500 intermittant idle miss - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 7Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
Dead cylinder at 30k on a GW, very unlikely. Perhaps a little history on the machine would help,was this an insurance/accident loss or what, where did it come from?

99% of GW 1500 running problems can be traced back to carb/emission system problems. Hard failures as described can only be tracked backed back to accident/misuse/neglect.

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
I got it back in Feb of this year from a guy in Center Point, Texas. It's run great up to last Sunday. In the owners manual there is a written record of oil and filter changes. Other than that, not much in the way of MX records. Sure seems odd --- low compression on a cylinder at 30K. I'm not gonna do anything drastic just yet. It's paid for and I have a clear title, so I'm gonna take it slow about tearing into that engine. Pretty sick about it right now, though.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:22 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMcCrary View Post
Well, guys long story short I found the cylinder that's not firing. Had to go back in time a bit and remember what to do when an aircraft engine has a definite miss. All the plugs were firing when grounded to the engine, so a compression test revealed #3 compression was all of 30lbs, while @1 & #5 were around 150- 160 PSI. What lead me to #3 was when I pulled all 6 plugs, the porcelain around all the other plug electrodes was white (just after coming off an 844 mile trip) and #3 was sorta brown which tells me #3 was not getting hot enough to burn off all the fuel. Guess I'll do a comp test on #2,#4 & #6 tomorrow since it aint runnin' right any way. Guess it's a burned valve or collapsed lifter. Sure am disappointed. I;ve had 3 GL1500s and this is the first one that's done this. Valve trouble at 30K? Imagine that.
Something seems wrong. If it had low compression it would not have an intermittent miss. It would be constant. Don't jump to conclusions just yet and start ripping and tearing. There has been strange anomalies where lifters (adjusters) pump up and cause loss of compression. I would take the bike for a ride and repeat the compression test. The engine should be warm and throttle wide open all plugs out for best results. Like Driver Rider said. That is not an ordinary problem with the bikes as you know. I just kind of doubt you have a serious issue but who knows for sure? Strange things can happen.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

The first indication of trouble was Sunday after I had just gotten back from that 844 mile trip. I shut it down, moved it around in my garage a bit, then started the engine. it ran as usual for a bit, then started missing. I shut her down again, restarted and same thing. the miss is still there. If the exhaust valve was stuck open, since this is an 'interference run' engine, wouldn't the piston crash into the valve on the compression stroke? That's why I'm leaning toward the burned valve theory. Or it could be a speck of carbon under the valve face (?). I'm stumped, for sure!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:02 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Hold off!!!

Pour in 4 oz of Sea Foam and go take it for a 100 mile ride.

Then come back home and let it idle down....
I will buy you a box of donuts if it is not fixed by then.

I think it is a stuck hydraulic lifter.... been there, done that on a 94SE

Or, just put it up on the Center Stand and let it idle for an hour or two, watch and make darn sure the fans cycle on/off as they should..... ( I have done this, and it works great with Sea Foam to the Rescue again!!! )

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:16 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1800A6
Garage
I would still be a little suspicious that the recent work on the engine could be behind the problem. Could it be possible that #3 valve was accidentally touched by the piston when the engine was being turned by hand to line it up for the new belt? I saw in your original post that a Honda Store did the work but mistakes can happen.
dingdong likes this.

GL1800A 2006
Previously:
GL1500SE \'98
Harley Fatboy 2004
Triumph Rocket Touring 2010
Honda Valkyrie 2002 (fantastic!)
Pan European ST1100
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:52 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
It usually takes a leak-down test to show a burned valve. And wouldn't you be hearing a stuck or collapsed lifter? Considering the low mileage, I'd be more inclined to think head gasket.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMcCrary View Post
The first indication of trouble was Sunday after I had just gotten back from that 844 mile trip. I shut it down, moved it around in my garage a bit, then started the engine. it ran as usual for a bit, then started missing. I shut her down again, restarted and same thing. the miss is still there. If the exhaust valve was stuck open, since this is an 'interference run' engine, wouldn't the piston crash into the valve on the compression stroke? That's why I'm leaning toward the burned valve theory. Or it could be a speck of carbon under the valve face (?). I'm stumped, for sure!
The valve would have to be pretty much fully open for the piston to hit it and in that case there would be 0 compression. A spec of carbon or a over extended adjuster is more likely.
redwing52 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
I agree with the guys. If we are talking about the potential for rare issues maybe consider this. There needs to be a relationship between the valve spring pressure and the adjuster pressure. The valve spring must have greater pressure to hold the valve closed on the seat. If a valve spring broke a single coil it could lose some of the seat pressure and the adjuster would hold that valve open. Other odd possibilities are a cam lobe has worn flat or a head gasket failed directly to the outside of the engine. All very rare.
Were it my bike I would fire it up and take it for a ride being ready to shut it off if things suddenly seem to get worse. That too not likely but if it shows signs of getting worse don't ride it home. If everything you say is true you have a rare and weird problem for that bike as you know. They are tough as nails.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

The 4ozs of Seafoam sounds like it's worth trying. Got some in my garage. Before I make my next move I'm gonna rig up a leak-down rig, bring #3 to TDC and see where air comes thru. (Exhaust valve leak can be heard at the exhaust tailpipe, intake valve leak thru the carb intake, and cracked piston / cracked ring thru the oil cap hole). Monday I'll probably check out a Borescope from one of our tool cribs and take a close look @ #3 piston. I still like the Seafoam idea. That's worth a try before wrenching on the engine. Thanks guys for all your input. It'll be several days before I get the Borescope and try the Seafoam trick. But I'll definitely let y'all know what's up with my engine. Poor girl ---- all she wants to do is ride, ride, ride! See ya!
AZgl1800 likes this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page