11Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:50 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I'm glad I ain't the only one who has nothing but loathing for these "tings".

Many a time on the side of the Interstate or other highway, sometimes in freezing or rainy or etc weather .... I have watched a poor truck's driver chase wiring faults through a long series of them. Like wise, a few people pulling trailers. I tried to be helpful ..... holding a flashlight or offering to call a service truck to meet us at the next exit. Abominations they are!

When we bought the Trike in 2004, soon afterwards I discovered that my buddy who was the original owner of it as a bike and who had converted it to a trike after going to Lehman's school had used what Lehman sent with the kit, these same connectors .... and he had for other light additions. Only took me a couple afternoons to remove and properly (IMHO) splice and or remake connections.

Them "tings" cut wire strands, let in moisture, and cause problems with dissimilar metals .... corrosion .... and they seem to let people down when times are the worst timing wise .... like when a trooper is loafing along behind at 1 am.

Bellboy40 likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 07:32 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
I'm glad I ain't the only one who has nothing but loathing for these "tings".

Many a time on the side of the Interstate or other highway, sometimes in freezing or rainy or etc weather .... I have watched a poor truck's driver chase wiring faults through a long series of them. Like wise, a few people pulling trailers. I tried to be helpful ..... holding a flashlight or offering to call a service truck to meet us at the next exit. Abominations they are!

When we bought the Trike in 2004, soon afterwards I discovered that my buddy who was the original owner of it as a bike and who had converted it to a trike after going to Lehman's school had used what Lehman sent with the kit, these same connectors .... and he had for other light additions. Only took me a couple afternoons to remove and properly (IMHO) splice and or remake connections.

Them "tings" cut wire strands, let in moisture, and cause problems with dissimilar metals .... corrosion .... and they seem to let people down when times are the worst timing wise .... like when a trooper is loafing along behind at 1 am.

Then suddenly those blue "tings" cause blue lights to flash!

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Year: 86
Model: Aspencade
So I finally got some time to mess with my wing. Cut out all the burnt wire/connector mess.. it was not as bad as it looked - most of what appeared to be burnt was really just soot and wiped off. Final diagnosis - a previous owner had done a pretty poor job of replacing that original 3 wire plug. they used a 4 wire trailer light pigtail. first problem is that is pretty light gauge wire, maybe 18ga? second they used about a foot of it to make a 2 inch splice. third, they used crappy crimps. anyway, all the insulation burnt off all three wires for the whole foot long length hence all the fire. I should have given it a closer look before riding it so much. I saw it had been modded and took that as a good sign - but no.

After clean up, pulled out meter and tested the three wires from the stator, none were shorted to ground and .6 ohms between any pair.

turns out there was plenty of good slack left in those yellow wires/black stripe.. since I had so much/easy access I went ahead and soldered them and did a pretty good job for me, and shrink tube.

Had to charge battery.. apparently in all the fire excitement I didn't turn the ignition all the way off. After charging, fired up and @ ~3000 rpm showing 14.6 between battery posts. which I understand is a little high, but I'm not going to worry about that.

So no poor boy, looks like I'm back in business. Thanks for the advice and hand holding. I feel much better now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
the 14.6 will drop when the engine gets warm...
that is what the regulator is supposed to do with a cold battery, push it hard to ~14.6 to recharge it fast after the heavy drain from the starter motor.

then as the temp comes up to normal, the regulator will drop back to ~13.6

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:15 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I thought them wires looked a bit "puney" to be used there.

There is a mod that I need to do whether I do a Poor Boy or not ..... that is running a heavier wire from black wire coming out of the reg/rec past the plugs to the battery positive terminal through a relay activated by the ign switch. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...m-voltage.html
It is to give a more accurate "system voltage" reading to the reg/rec unit without the voltage loss at various plugs.
Mine is charging a bit high too, not bad, but "high" just the same. If it looses 0.3 or 0.4 vdc in connections, the reg/rec charges higher to get what it's looking for in that black wire. I already have my voltmeter wired through a ign switch controlled relay so I'll maybe use that. Everything coming off the battery positive terminal gets a fuse in my book.
AZgl1800 likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 12:45 AM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
there are some connectors out there that are good to use and seldom cause problems,they are called posi-locks and they have some for connecting wires together and posi-taps to tap into wiring circuits
POSI_LOCKS,TAPSOrder Online- Discounts
CrystalPistol likes this.

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoracer View Post
there are some connectors out there that are good to use and seldom cause problems,they are called posi-locks and they have some for connecting wires together and posi-taps to tap into wiring circuits
POSI_LOCKS,TAPSOrder Online- Discounts

I had forgotten about Posi-Lock connectors...
I am going to get some of those and keep them in my tool kit...
CrystalPistol likes this.

~ John

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Year: 86
Model: Aspencade
I like the posi-locks too. I have a little accessory 3 circuit fuse block on one of my bikes that has posi-lock terminals for the circuits.. pretty cool idea. The only negative is on the tap, if you tap into a very thin wire be careful that little spear tip can cut strands of wire in the source you're tapping into. happened to me and caused weird intermittent problems and took a long time to figure out.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
June 1991 Road Rider stator survey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9876.JPG (118.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9877.JPG (110.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9878.JPG (106.6 KB, 11 views)

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Without the text, that makes no sense. The two graphics seem to disagree.

Chart one say's over 30% of Honda stators burn out but chart two says Honda gets more miles between burns outs than all but the BMW.

The only thing that makes the 'Wing's stator a real issue is its location. I remember '70s Suzuki 4 bangers having stator issues but it never became a big deal because it took an hour or less to replace it.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page