Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1984 Honda Interstate oil leak

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·
Been trying to get my transmission cover to stop leaking oil. Have tried (2) new gaskets and even straight Yamabond silicone. Still getting a leak at bottom of cover. Cover looks straight and both cover and engine case are CLEAN and SMOOTH. Presently have cover off,(again), thinking of trying the ole silicone trick again and let it set for a week before adding oil and coolant back into engine. Open for suggestion's.

#3 ·
Thanks for reply. I'm 100% sure leak is not from h2o pump weep hole. However, this time I am installing a NEW water pump after looking at the old pump bearings. If I can get cover to stop leaking this go around I do not want to remove in near future replace due to a failing h2o pump.
Thanks again Mike for reply.

#10 ·
you say the cover looks straight, can you put a straight-edge on it and verify?
Take a magnifying glass and ck every contact surface, its easy to nick aluminum during gasket scraping, maybe by someone before you!
Optional- use phone camera to pic all the surfaces and study them in detail with zoom view..looking for any scratches.

Its usually the smallest or stupidest thing causing the problem

Replace every o-ring is your fail-safe mode at this point, like I said small or stupid!

Whatever Dennis and Ken say is gold on the older bikes.

#21 ·
Are you using the OEM gaskets? Some of the after market gaskets are thinner than stock. When you lay them up with the stock O-rings the o-ring will stand proud over the too thin gasket and result in a leak. If this is the case get some Felpro 1/32 thick gasket material and make your own.

#31 ·
Wing 1984 here. Want to thank all who responded to my issue of front cover oil leak. Finally had time to finish the project with success. The problem turned out to be the front cover it self. I located a SMALL void on the bottom, by using a piece of glass for a straight edge. Took the cover to Alaska Tool and had it shave. Reinstalled using all new o.e.m. O-rings, seals, and front cover gasket. Bike has been reassembled for over a month and, NO OIL LEAK!!!

Also, I rebuilt all 3 brake calibers. Lesson learn here was when bleed air out of the lines, only open the bleeder value only as much as it takes to let the air and fluid escape. Else wise, air can get in the system around the bleeder value THREADS.

Once again to all who gave some input to my issue, THANKS.

Karl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.