1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1994
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
Cruise Control

I have a 1994 GL1500 SE my cruise control works but sometime I have a very hard time setting it. I always have to push the set button several times before it works. Any idea what’s causing this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Here We Go Again!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The most likely cause is simply a dirty switch. Open up the housing (two screws on the bottom) and spray some plastic-safe contact cleaner into the switch itself while pushing the button many, many times. WD-40 will work too but isn't the best choice.

Other less likely culprits would be a loose or dirty brake light or cruise control safely switch. Seems like those would cause the cruise to shut off occasionally, as well.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1994
Model: GL1500 SE
cruise control

Thanks for the reply. I already sprayed the switch with contact cleaner from Radio Shack but did not take out the two screws so perhaps It did not clean. I will remove the two bottom screws and try again, I hope nothing falls apart so reassembly is hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:30 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
At this point you won't be disassembling anything, just opening up the housing so you can get at the switch. Spraying cleaner on the button won't help much. You have to clean the switch.

And, would you please fill in your profile with your city, state and bike info?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:23 AM

Model: 2006 Level 2 Gold Wing
Does the cruise control light come on, and stay on? There is a brass bushing on the clutch handle that wears egg shape. Take that out and examine it. If it is worn at all on the side, replace it. I don`t get much more than 80,000 miles out of these bushings. How many miles are on your bike? Also, stock,or aftermarket levers? Aftermarket can cause problems. Should be able to hear 2 clicks when pulling in hand brake lever if you listen carefully. Does the cruise set better if you put your foot under brake pedal, and lift up? I find the cruise control on the 1500s give very few problems, maintained correctly.
gumbyred
redwing52 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
what speeds and gears are you trying it? must be above 35 in 4th or 5th only
After its working at the switch, there is an adjustment so it catches immediately- not that 2-3 mph lag then return to set speed that most have.
There is also a simple 2 wire swap which allows the cruise to work above 80mph- you may have noticed it wont catch or run above that.

Also try holding button in for 2 seconds- even after the light comes on- see if that helps

Welcome to the forum, follow what Dennis or his bike, and Gumby say, both/all are voices of experience.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:57 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
If it is an intermittent issue, it will be very difficult to find the problem.
It would be better to troubleshoot it when the Cruise Control is not working.
Otherwise you will have to perform all the checks, and tests given in the service manual.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
start with the basics of cleaning the switch and cking electrical connectors that are known to cause issues.

Often our switches gum up because the special dielectric grease used inside them dries up and is like jello on a cold day.
If the rider fails to operate the switches on a regular basis they get stuck in dried grease.
Use every switch including cruise set and power, turn signals horn etc when you ride, to keep them all happy

CRC in the BLUE can is safe around our plastics. Sometimes you can get enough past the button part to unstick hazard lights or similar in an emergency,
then open case up and spray properly when you get home.
Relube with dielectric grease
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:33 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Check out Gumby's post. When it won't engage push the clutch and both brakes forward to be sure the cruise is not getting a false signal because one of those switches are not engaging or disengaging. The clutch is by far the most common because ,as Gumby said the bushing wears. Pushing the lever home will do until you replace the busing.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:47 PM

Model: 2006 1800
There's a CC switch on the right side below the brake light switch, way down by the muffler.. Hard to see but it's there.. The switch is held in place by 2 screws underneath the switch.. If one or both come lose and that switch moves just a hair it can become intermittent or not work at all.. It works off the rear brake peddle.. You might look there also..........
I had one screw fall out.. It's so tight in there the screw was still there..........

Back to riding after a 30 yr lay off.. Started with a 86 Magna 750 on to a 02 Shadow 1100,99 Magna 750,91 ST1100, finaly a 93 Wing.. and now an 06 1800 Loven Life...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page