Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   1996 gl1500 electrical issue (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/633137-1996-gl1500-electrical-issue.html)

Kenhale18 12-22-2016 10:27 AM

1996 gl1500 electrical issue

My wing shut down the other night after a long slow parade ride. It got hot but not overheated and was running fine when I shut it off. Went for a coffee and tried to start it about half an hour later. Turned the key and nothing,not even lights even though my LED's were working. Tried to boost it with a fully charged battery pack but again nothing. Checked all the fuses, put an ammeter on the new battery. Read 12.7 volts. So far I have taken the ignition switch connector apart and sprayed it with contact cleaner, checked the main fuse including the dog bone. Talked to a few guys but everyone seems to draw a blank. HELP!!!!!!!

Erdeniz Umman 12-22-2016 10:39 AM

Did you check the relays Number 3, 6 and related fuses on the left side and its connectors, probably melted and lost contacts due to overheat during the parade.

Kenhale18 12-22-2016 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just removed the solenoid and had a hard time getting the connector off the top. It looks burnt. See pics. Perhaps this is the problem.

NVSB4 12-22-2016 12:19 PM

That would be a sign that there is a problem. :grin3:

Also, welcome to the forum.
There are lots of people ready, willing and able to help.

Bike...and Dennis 12-22-2016 12:22 PM

It's certainly A problem, if not THE problem.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. :waving:

Could you please fill in your profile to include city, state and bike model & year? Thanks.

Erdeniz Umman 12-22-2016 01:07 PM

Any loose contact will create resistance which will result in heat and voltage drop on the circuit.

Kenhale18 12-22-2016 02:43 PM

Does anyone know about the bank angle sensor on a 96 wing? I looked at mine and it does not appear to be mounted to anything.

Erdeniz Umman 12-22-2016 03:10 PM

If I understand your question correctly;

It should be mounted on the frame under the trunk, behind the right saddle bag. Its orientation is important to function properly.

If it is not mounted like that, I would think it was bypassed and does not have any function anymore.

John J 12-23-2016 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenhale18 (Post 4954897)
Does anyone know about the bank angle sensor on a 96 wing? I looked at mine and it does not appear to be mounted to anything.

If your bank angle sensor has been bypassed you will probably find the green connector under the seat looking like the one in the attached picture. The picture shows how to bypass the BAS.

Erdeniz Umman 12-23-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenhale18 (Post 4954633)
I just removed the solenoid and had a hard time getting the connector off the top. It looks burnt. See pics. Perhaps this is the problem.

Kenhale,
I have just noticed that the parts seem very clean and new. Have you replaced them and if so were they aftermarket or OEM parts?