• 1 Post By Bike...and Dennis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1982
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100A
New member.... new ride.. same adventures

Greetings all....

A few months back the GF and I got back into riding after deciding that the commute was too hellish to continue in a car.

20 years off from riding and it all comes back so quick. Bought myself a great BMW for daily commuting, but 2 days ago I dropped the hammer and bought a 1982 Goldwing Aspencade.

The GF and I ride together, but thought it be great to be able to ride longer distances in a bit more comfort.

Ended up picking up this old gal. She runs, but is cranky, and I wanted a project to turn into something totally different.

So far... here is what I think she needs.

1. Air suspension is quirky at best. The PO installed a direct front fork air nipple to pump up the suspension. I think a rebuild is in order, with all new air lines. I want to get this back to stock and working.
2. All the control cables are tight as hell. I have the throttle in the top case, but will need to do all of them.
3. She starts and runs, but rough. Valve job, carb sync, timing belts. What else should be part of a first major service as the new owner? (I do all my own work)
4. The choke doesnt work... assuming that its just a cable issue.
5. Horn doesnt work...
6. Radio only pretends to play... horrid reception. Thinking of going aftermarket marine unit with new speakers. Replace all wiring.
7. Loose wires here and there. Need to trace them all out and replace and tidy up.
8. Full set of cases are all good, but I plan on a repaint.

62K miles.

Some quick questions....

I've googled and read a lot and watched a ton of videos, but what are some of the things that everyone recommends for the first service to the old gal?

Any GL1100A owners in the Los Gatos / San Jose Ca area?

glad to be here and soaking up all the knowledge I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170116_142630.jpg (117.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170116_142649.jpg (116.9 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
wow, what an intro thread.

I am going to move this directly into the Technical Forum so you get immediate attention.

glad to have you on board.
flylow and lucasszy like this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100 Interstate trike
Garage
After changing belts run some sea foam through the tank. I would not worry to much about valve job yet. maybe valve adjustment after belts. Oil change brake fluid change. More information on the way from others I am sure. Welcome aboard.

It is better to know where you are going than to get there fast.
former rides
1960 1950 5 horsepower Cushman scooter
1982 1974 750 cc Honda
2005 1991 800 cc Suzuki Intruder
2006 2001 1400cc Susuki Intrude
2009 1982 1100cc Honda Goldwing w/Voyager kit
2013 1982 1100cc honda Goldwing w/Lehman trike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Model: Interstate
Garage
Get a manual. Honda Shop manual is best, Chilton's is good, Others are so-so.

Front forks:
If she has the OEM springs, (one long and one short spring in each tube) do yourself a favor and replace those old, tired springs with new Progressives. 1000% difference in the ride, 'specially 2-up.

Brake lines:
If she still has the old, tired OEM lines (rubber) do yourself another favor and replace them with new braided stainless lines.

Timing belt:
Unless you know they were replaced less than 5 years ago and less than 50k miles, do yourself yet another favor and DO NOT RUN that engine until they are replaced! The engine you save may be your own! NAPA or Gates belts are good and a lot less $$ then OEM.

Valves:
Do not grind them, a light lapping is all they should need. And unless you suspect a valve leak, don't do even that. You have to pull the heads to lap the valves. If you do decide to pull the heads, use only OEM head gaskets unless you want to do the job again. Valve seals would be another item to do while ur in there. Head gasket info here: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...p?f=11&t=14868

Final Drive:
It's worth your time to take the rear wheel off and inspect the splines. They should be nice and square. Reassemble with fresh Moly-60 lube. Get the lube from MotherHonda and accept no substitutes! HowTo is here: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77

Under the left side cover, next to the battery, you will find an electrical connector that joins three yellow wires with three other yellow wires. Look over that connector very closely. If you see any scorching, cut the connector out and hardwire the yellow wires together. HowTo is here: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...p?f=11&t=30797

Does your starter seem sluggish? Here's how to rebuild the starter motor: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259

Watch for any oil and/or coolant drips coming from the left underside of the engine near the thermostat housing. If the weep hole under the thermostat housing is dripping, replace the water pump. Again, use OEM here unless you want to do it again. More info here: http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=275

Good luck with ur new baby!

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
Love the color but isn't it a little small to be riding 2 up? Jokes aside I do like that color and once up to your specs I would think it will last you for years to come. Good luck and welcome.
lucasszy likes this.

Charlie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I think the 'Wing needs tassels too.
flylow likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Welcome to the forum, there are many 1100 owners/zealots here, and many in your general area.
Parts are not an issue, plenty of spares sitting in garages, looking for their new home.

We have an interference engine, broken timing belt = massive damage to exhaust valves- hence the concern over belt replacement.

Ck compression before tearing the engine down, they are usually good for hundreds of thousands of miles with little more than tbelt,
oil changes and NGK spark plugs
Water pump..?

Seats are easily repadded and custom fitted to your backsides,
Craigslist- keyword upholstery, finds someone who worked in a big place and now works from home... for about half the price.
I have a lady in Modesto if you dont find one you like in SJ. Bikes come from all over for her work!

Dyna-bead or CounterAct beads are highly recommended in the tires, 2 to 3 oz in front tire and 3 oz in rear will keep them balanced at all times.
I bought a 12 oz bag online ~$10 and gave half to my riding buddy~

you can find good diy pics on www.goldwingdocs.com

Again welcome to being a Wing Nut, enjoy wrenching and riding
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1100A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post

Seats are easily repadded and custom fitted to your backsides,
Craigslist- keyword upholstery, finds someone who worked in a big place and now works from home... for about half the price.
I have a lady in Modesto if you dont find one you like in SJ. Bikes come from all over for her work!
Again welcome to being a Wing Nut, enjoy wrenching and riding
I'd definitely like to get some contact info for the lady in dublin. Not only does the GW need new seats, but I also want a custom seat done for my daily driver BMW f800r, and the GF wants a custom seat for her honda cb500x.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by lucasszy; 01-20-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page