Crappy compression options - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

22Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Make: Honda
Model: GL1100
Crappy compression options

77 GW. I've had some minor running problems in the past; carbs are really crappy with oxidized/rotted away main jet posts. I have a little $ right now and was going to buy a set of carbs and actually good rebuild kits (the chinese ones I bought a year ago already had a needle break in half, haha). Before I dropped cash on this and a new back tire, I decided to check compression (overnight cold soak).

Sitting on the bike facing forward and looking down, I got:

Front left: 100psi
Rear left: 100psi
Front right: 100psi
Rear right: 75psi

Ouch. On a car, this would be a garbage cylinder. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that this holds true on a GW as well.

What are my options here? I have no problem doing anything, I just want to know what's cost effective.

I am going to try adjusting the valves and rechecking all cylinders first.

My Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Adjust your tappets (cold engine) and retest. Hopefully Right Rear has a tight tappet keeping a valve open too long.

When was the last time the engine was run? A lot of ills are cured with exercise.
siouxindian likes this.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by billythegrape View Post
77 GW. I've had some minor running problems in the past; carbs are really crappy with oxidized/rotted away main jet posts. I have a little $ right now and was going to buy a set of carbs and actually good rebuild kits (the chinese ones I bought a year ago already had a needle break in half, haha). Before I dropped cash on this and a new back tire, I decided to check compression (overnight cold soak).

Sitting on the bike facing forward and looking down, I got:

Front left: 100psi
Rear left: 100psi
Front right: 100psi
Rear right: 75psi

Ouch. On a car, this would be a garbage cylinder. I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that this holds true on a GW as well.

What are my options here? I have no problem doing anything, I just want to know what's cost effective.

I am going to try adjusting the valves and rechecking all cylinders first.
A cold compression test does not mean much. I would warm the engine and recheck with throttle blocked wide open, plugs removed so the starter can spin real fast. A single cylinder that is slightly lower than the rest (10% variance is acceptable) is not usually an issue right now. You might just notice it does not run quite as smooth as you might like. The cylinder balance is off as that one cylinder does not make quite as much power as the rest. I wouldn't over react at this point. Compression tests are over rated for engine diagnosis on older engines.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I've never met an engine that was to be tested warm for compression, but again I am a car mechanic. The bike is driven 20 miles every weekday, mostly interstate. I will adjust valves and get back.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
I've never met an engine that was to be tested warm for compression, but again I am a car mechanic. The bike is driven 20 miles every weekday, mostly interstate. I will adjust valves and get back.
I am not familiar with your bike, but here is the procedure in GL1500 Service Manual showing it should (not should, must!) be warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.6 KB, 20 views)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Always test compression on a warm engine. I was an auto mechanic all my working life and never heard of any other way.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 01:31 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
"20 miles every weekend"? Is that a typo?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:03 PM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
Quote:

As mentioned by others , a compression test should be done on warm engine , - on all engines !

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I must be in the twilight zone. Never have I heard of, performed, or seen anyone do a compression test on a warm engine, ever. Probably because it's the wrong way to do it, but I guess this IS the internet, so...

Anyway, my bike is ridden every weekday. Don't know where the weekend came from, as the original post says weekday.

I will adjust the valves and perform another cold compression test, as performing one warm would be useless.

Here's why:

When an engine is warmed up, unless it has just one cylinder, the compressions will vary in cylinders due to uneven heating, physical material distribution, etc. Especially in a carbureted engine. Especially in a 40 year old carbureted engine.

When cold, all the metal shrinks down allowing for a more accurate test of what's really going on with compression. This is why many (not all) engines require the engine to be cold to adjust the valves. This is also why we do leakdown tests on a cold engine.

I have never, EVER heard of anyone in the car business doing compression tests on warm engines because it just isn't done that way. Sorry.

My Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
I'm agnostic when it comes to warm vs cold. But when running a wet compression test (5 ml oil added to cylinder immediately before taking the reading) that the oil MUST BE DELO 400!

Popcorn, anyone?
dingdong likes this.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page